Read 8152 times

Pros and Con's on living close to school.
« on: June 15, 2015, 08:50:55 pm »
What is better,living in walking distance to your school,or a bus ride away?

Pro's:I can walk to school and back home in no time.
Con's:if I take a sick day they may be more inclined to come and visit me.Less privacy and so on.Is there anything I'm missing?
Do you want a 5-10 Dollar discount on your first purchase from iherb.com?Use this code KSZ711 when you make a purchase.

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
Re: Pros and Con's on living close to school.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 08:55:42 pm »
Pro tip: If possible live in a different education district than your school. I'm an 8 minute walk but their is this magic gu barrier that students never cross.

Pro: Saving on bus fare everyday. Not spending time on the bus.
Cons: none that have popped up.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:59:37 pm »
I teach middle school and I live a 15 minute walk from my main school and a 10 minute walk from my second school. After having lived here for over a year and a half I can say that about 80% of my students know exactly where I live, including which window to yell at if they want my attention (to be fair they rarely do this).

I'll let you decide if that's a pro or a con.

I do like walking to and from school, though.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:07:44 pm »
Are you a bad drunk? Then further away is always better.

Otherwise... well, further away is always better. Only advantage of living near your school is if you're not a morning person, like.... ahem... some 'friends' that I know.

Currently, I am about a 20 minutes walk away from my school. But, I do literally live next door to another school I am not associated with, yet.

Ideally, my place will be minimum of 20 minute biking radius from any school.

• mdhj7777
  • Adventurer

• February 24, 2015, 11:30:06 am
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 07:37:29 am »
I've lived both 30 minute walk away and a 15 minute walk away from my school.
I'm going to say, I loved living close to school. The 30 minute walk / 11 minute bike ride was nice (especially for exercise and waking up), but it was brutal on a hot summer evening. (rural town, no decent public transit to my place)

Pros:
-Wake up later and still be able to make it to school at a decent time.
- Wake up at the same time as a farther away school and have more time to make a decent breakfast/internet browse.
- 15 minute walks....ah so nice! Stop at the yogger presso and get a coffee since your commute is so short.
- Even though the kids know where you live, most of them don't really care.
- Can pick up groceries on the walk home from school in a closer proximity.
- If it's raining you don't get as wet walking to school hahaha!

Cons:
- Kids. Kids everywhere.
But that wouldn't really matter if you lived 30 minutes away because there's gonna be kids everywhere anyway; they'll just be faces you don't know.
- Theoretically a school member could visit on sick days, but I have never heard of it happening.
If someone from your school actually has nothing better to do then go to your house to check on you and they knock, don't answer the door. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:40:12 am by mdhj7777 »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 07:38:16 am »
I've had some interesting living situations in my time living here in Korea.  First two years I was here I was living in the SAME building as my HAKWON.  Basically, my house was on the 5th floor I worked on the third.  Yeah, needless to say the school KNEW OF ALL my business even though I tried to keep it on the low.  Nice place spacious place though. 

Second place I lived at was in 5 minutes walking distance from the academy.  It seemed all of the nosey co-workers lived in the same building as me and a lot of my students liked close by too.  So you get a lot of "Hi Teacher," on the street.  No too annoying but I rather not see you outside of class if you are one of my worst students.

Third place was a 30 minutes bus ride away from the hakwon AND I lived right next to the subway station.  I sort of liked this place but I began to hate it as it was an overpriced officetel.  Never saw any of my students though and the school never knew my business expect for the time I got into a fight with the owner of the officetel over a broken "온돌 " (heater) that he said I should fix but I wasn't the one who broke it.....long stupid story.  P.S. in situations like that don't be tricked into thinking as an apartment tenant you have no rights here in Korea.  F' what your boss will tell you when they say you have to pay all.  You actually only have to pay half since it's the officetel's responsibility and property. 

Fourth place I lived at was tucked away and 30 minutes walking distance from the school.  However, I still saw students when I walked to the subway station.  Even had a student see I was on a date.  Overwise, the school knew none of my business.

My current place I AM OVER THE MOON ABOUT.  I'm a 35 minutes bus ride into a small village school that I work at.  It is spacious!  Like the BIGGEST one room EVER! Plus, I never see my students outside of school.  At least so far I don't.  And so far I'm able to keep my private life PRIVATE!   

For me living far away from the school and students is better! 

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:01:37 am »
I have lived 40 minutes' bus ride away from my school and am currently just a fast 5 minutes walk away - being close is so so much better. You save money on transportation and waking up time in the morning and you can even run home if you forget something like a USB or coffee!

However, people who live farther away do tend to get told to stay home more, for snow days and other kinds of bad weather. A friend of mine usually gets to skip out on school trips and just takes un-official days off, because it's "too much of a burden" for her to trek out all the way to wherever the school is going. 
"Don't Panic"

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:03:27 am »
pro: Same as the above posts.

If something is wrong with the apartment, my coteacher doesn't mind helping out right away since it's so close by.

I can catch a ride with a few coworkers since they live at the same apartment.

Cons: Having to behave myself even more so even out of school. Living in the same apartments as my students means I have to watch what I do at all times.

Having to get asked if I have a new girlfriend every time I am either on a date, or just walking around with a friend.

Open your mind.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 08:12:34 am »
Last year, I worked at two schools. One was a 20 minute walk away and the other was a 30 minute bus ride away.

This year, I decided to keep the same apartment but my schools changed.I now both live 15 minute walk away from both schools, somewhere in the middle of both.

I prefer walking to both schools. The bus system is a hit or miss system here- If I didn't arrive at the stop at 7:50 on the dot (or before) the bus would leave and only came every 20 minutes. Sometimes, I had to take a 7k taxi ride to that school which was really irritating.

I like relying on myself to walk and get the extra exercise, which is why I stuck to my old apartment.

The only con that I have living a little close to both schools is occasionally I see my students at the same health club as me.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 08:16:36 am »
Pros:

If you forget something, you can go grab it.
You can go home for lunch (if your school is cool with that).
You can get up a bit later since you don't have far to go.
No futzing around with public transportation.

Could be pro or con, depending on you:
Your kids also live nearby and it will be hard to avoid them if that's what you want. You could also live in the same building as your students.

Cons:
Might be used as an excuse for your coteachers to make you stay late: "Oh, you're so close to school that it's okay for you to stay late! Please, tutor Sujin at 5:30 today."
If they decided to drop by and inspect something, they could (or as you said, bother you on a sick day.)
Could take things from your house like TVs and furniture that they decide the school "needs" and swap it for broken or outdated stuff.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 08:16:49 am »
I literally live right across the street from my school, and as you know the streets in Korea are not big. I can see my apartment from one of the classroom windows. I'll look out to see if I have mail.

Pro: I can wake up 30 minutes before work, and still be on time. Saving money -- no bus/taxi fare. I use my school as storage. For example, I keep my bike there, instead of having to drag it up into my apartment.

Con: Everyone knows where I live. It can get noisy outside after school. These aren't necessarily the worst things ever, but I can see how someone may not want it.

A lot of kids live in the neighborhood, even one lives in my building. It's nice to be walking home, or to the bus and having 8 or 9 people really excited to see you.

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 09:01:11 am »
Pro: - I own a car
       - I have a 30 minute drive through rice paddies and such to get to my school from my very small rural town
       - After over 4 years I probably haven't seen students 20 times
       - I don't have to watch what I do

Con: none
Hail Caesar

• smackle3
  • Adventurer

• October 23, 2013, 02:41:32 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 09:38:42 am »
I live 5 minutes walking distance from my school.
I like it, I save money on bus fare and I don't have to wake up too early.
Also, there have been instances where I've forgotten something and I can just run back home and get it.
I do see my students pretty much every time I go out but that doesn't really bother me. Except for a quick hello, the kids pretty much stay away.
As far as sick days honestly your co teacher/s are too busy to go visit you. Or they simply don't care. And if they do, just keep your house clean. I mean the worst they can do is bring you medicine or something super delicious to eat. You can't really fake sick days anyway because they'll probably ask for a doctor's note.
One thing I suppose, you can't really go out in your pajamas, even if it's just to take out the trash.
I guess it really depends on your lifestyle.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 09:49:56 am »
Cons: Having to behave myself even more so even out of school. Living in the same apartments as my students means I have to watch what I do at all times.

Having to get asked if I have a new girlfriend every time I am either on a date, or just walking around with a friend.

Yep.  I agree that living close to the school is great but I rather commute than to still act like Mother Theresa outside of school property.  I'm so over the days of my boss asking "Who did you have over last night." 

P.S.  Who remembers the rumors about female teachers who worked in public school not allowed to have male guest over.  I was once told by one of my Korean girlfriends when I very first moved to Korea that I shouldn't invite people, especially men, over to my house because the neighborhood would see and tell the school on you.  I've even read a few stories (I think it was on here I believe) where a girl ACTUALLY got fired because she was inviting men over to her apartment.  For me, I try not to invite foreign men over to my place (even my gay friends) as to not set off any alarms with the neighbors.  However, if it's a Korean guy leaving my building who the hell would really know.   

• mdhj7777
  • Adventurer

• February 24, 2015, 11:30:06 am
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 10:44:26 am »

Yep.  I agree that living close to the school is great but I rather commute than to still act like Mother Theresa outside of school property.  I'm so over the days of my boss asking "Who did you have over last night." 

P.S.  Who remembers the rumors about female teachers who worked in public school not allowed to have male guest over.  I was once told by one of my Korean girlfriends when I very first moved to Korea that I shouldn't invite people, especially men, over to my house because the neighborhood would see and tell the school on you.  I've even read a few stories (I think it was on here I believe) where a girl ACTUALLY got fired because she was inviting men over to her apartment.  For me, I try not to invite foreign men over to my place (even my gay friends) as to not set off any alarms with the neighbors.  However, if it's a Korean guy leaving my building who the hell would really know.

I remember reading about one of those stories:
A foreigner who lived in Busan allowed couch surfers to stay the night in her apartment. After being asked several times to stop by her school (because neighbors kept reporting almost daily different men leaving her house) and being warned about how it's affecting the school she was eventually asked to leave the hagwon since she kept doing it. Main reasons were because it was seen as damaging to the schools reputation. A bit harsh, but that's what happens when Koreans are too nosy and can't learn to mind their own business. Maybe she should have stopped for a little, but she didn't.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:46:20 am by mdhj7777 »

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 11:27:28 am »
Pro: You don't have to wake up early to get ready for a 10-minute walk commute to your school.

Con: If you invite your girlfriend to stay with you overnight and one of the kids or their parents sees you, they might scandalize you.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 11:33:28 am »
In terms of living close to a school, I don't think the issues are too Korea specific. I remember having a mentor teacher who was a single principal in the USA, and he was told the same thing: don't have any strange cars in front of your house overnight. Granted, that was in Oklahoma, but still.

I can probably hit my second school from last semester with a rock from the roof of my apartment building. Sadly, my second school was changed, and I now commute 1.5 hours 2x a week. I hate teaching far away from my house.

My main school is only a 30 minute walk from home, or a 5-7 minute taxi ride/15 minute bus ride. I hardly ever see those kiddos outside of school though because the study so late and many are forced to live in the dormitory.

I miss being able to run home and sleep in.

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

• September 27, 2011, 01:01:39 pm
    • Gyeongsanbuk-do, South Korea
    more
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 11:41:10 am »
Before last August, I worked near my school for 3 years. It was a 10ish walk away. Fortunately it was a high school, so many of my students didn't live near the school anyway. The ones who did live in the area, didn't catch on or maybe didn't care where I live. It was great for going to school later and getting home after school and getting stuff done in the evening.

Since August I'm not a 40 min bus away from 2 of my schools and a short bus ride away from my 3rd school. And last semester, just for 6 months, I was working at 2 schools more than an hour away from my home, in the opposite direction from the 40 min school.

I definitely liked living closer better. It was more convenient and desirable in so many ways. None of my co teachers ever just dropped by my home even if I were sick (which wasn't often).   It was nice to be home before 5 since my evening schedule is a little hectic a few times a week. 

• outsider
  • Veteran

• July 03, 2014, 04:19:05 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 11:43:08 am »
Pro - very short commute.  Save money on bus/su way fare

Con - Lack of privacy. 

I rather enjoy my privacy and the 30 minute commute is well worth it.  I occasionally like to have a beer or two with friends at local restaurants and hoffs and have had the experience many times of a parent approaching me.   Sitting outside at a coffee shop without being pestered for scraps of food by students moaning "Teacheeeeer.  Hungry" is nice too! 

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 11:50:32 am »
I'll show you how exciting my life is. When I lived close to my close the only time the kids seem to spot me was when I was buying unhealthy food friend chicken or french fries.