Read 1350 times

KEB Internet Banking Nightmare
« on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:50 pm »
I left Korea to return to the states a little over a year ago. When I first arrived home, I used KEB's overseas remittance service to remit most of the money I had saved up. I did however leave around $1,500 in the account, with the intention of remitting it at a later date. Well, that date had I thought had arrived. Unbeknownst to me, however, KEB bank had suspended my account due to inactivity.
No problem, I thought. I'll just call KEB and have them reactivate the account, seeing as I had my passport, ARC, bank account number, and even their stupid security card as proof of my identity. Apparently that isn't enough. According to the two people I spoke to, in order to access the money that I had placed there, I have to either visit the branch that I had opened the account (only around 7,000 miles away) or take a day off from work and spend nearly $100 to ride Amtrack to the New York embassy in order to complete paperwork, which I would then have to mail to someone in Korea, who would then have to present the papers to the branch in order for them to simply open an account which they had deactivated without any warning.
I just wanted to share this as a warning to everyone to NEVER trust a Korean bank with any of your money, as their convoluted rules and arcane security measures will screw you, one way or another. 

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
Re: KEB Internet Banking Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 02:28:11 pm »
I left my KEB account inactive for over a year and it was fine when I got back.  I'm not doubting you at all, I'm just pointing out how inconsistent it can be. 

And while I sympathize, I would advise anyone never to leave that kind of money in a foreign account.  You never know what will happen. 

And yes, I've gotten the home bank run around for every little thing I want to do with my account.  I live in Seoul and a lady came to my school a long time ago to sign me up (KEB was the first bank to offer credit cards to foreigners and one of the first to allow us to use our cards overseas.  I still find it unbelievable that those were things once).  Anyway, she opened my account in Daegu.  I'm not going down there every time I want to change my phone number.  But that's what I'm told, so my address and phone # are from three lives ago.  Every time I renew a card I have to call and get them to send it special to my work, and I always wonder if there's a poor sap out there who gets an SMS every time I use my card.  Seriously, you can't just update that from your computer?  Nope, IMPOSSIBLE.  Sometimes I think Korea should change their slogan from "Sparkling" to "KOREA: *TEETH SUCKING* IMPOSSIBLE"

So like I said, I totally sympathize.  All I can recommend doing is calling again and again and being as aggressive as possible.  We all know niceness gets you know where here.  The squeaky wheel always gets ample grease.