Read 3761 times

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
Smartphone obsession (what am I missing?)
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:06:15 am »
Honestly, it seems that people these days can't do anything if their face isn't glued to their phones. Even walking through dense crowds people are glued to their screens like it's an extension of themselves. What are they looking at? Why is it so important that they can't remove their eyes from it for ten seconds while walking down stairs.

What am I missing? Help me understand this crazy phenomenon.

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
Re: Smartphone obsession (what am I missing?)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 11:09:12 am »
Since the government brought in that monitoring program that all teenagers have to have installed on their phone so that their parents and the government can look at everything they do, I've noticed most of my students getting basic phones. 3 kids despite their age even went for "Kids phones" so maybe the next generation of Koreans won't be so smart phone obsessed...

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:28:41 am »
Not that crazy a phenomenon. Phones nowadays have access to the world's largest online library. Movies, videos, an entire world's wroth of knowledge. And then there are messages, and phone calls, and snapchats, and kktalk. to go on even further, there are games and schedules and notes.

Not that crazy a phenomenon.

(with that said, I realized I was on my phone too much, so I gave away my galaxy s5 in exchange for a flip phone. My consumption of my cell phone has gone down to about an hour a week, or maybe even less.).
Open your mind.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 11:34:59 am »
Honestly, it seems that people these days can't do anything if their face isn't glued to their phones. Even walking through dense crowds people are glued to their screens like it's an extension of themselves. What are they looking at? Why is it so important that they can't remove their eyes from it for ten seconds while walking down stairs.

I can't help you.  I'm just as confused as you are.   I have made a commitment to myself to never buy a smartphone.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 11:36:04 am »
I miss my old Ericsson 398/688. Call. SMS, with the most amazing feature, it could receive email.

What do you pay for a basic phone here in Korea Richard?

I'm actually pretty interested in doing the same thing, ditching the android and just using a basic phone.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:45:59 am »
I miss my old Ericsson 398/688. Call. SMS, with the most amazing feature, it could receive email.

I'm actually pretty interested in doing the same thing, ditching the android and just using a basic phone.

I wanted something that could still use GPS, Music, and pictures (in case of car accidents), so I got the wine smart flip phone. It is an LG phone, that runs on android, marketed towards old people and only sold in Korea. however, the processing power limits it to only stuff like GPS, Music, Facebook, and google searches. NO games, (and screens' too small to read anything for a long period of time).

Phone was 270,000 I bought outright, and my monthly prepaid plan is 8000 won for 500mb, and another 5000 won for call/text. so 34,500/month for everything (if I divide the phone into 12 payments).

Phone is perfect for travelling for me. data on: Battery lasts 48 hours; Data off: battery lasts 4-5 days.

ON a separate note, for anyone who likes to take advantage of technology, download Maps.Me . It is a offline map and route application. once you download the country you want, you can use it offline. It also shows where you are (assuming your phone has GPS), and you can click somewhere and it will give you a driving route. The best part? There is a preset list of attractions, food, banks, gas stations, airports, train stations, etc etc etc. ALL OFFLINE.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:50:16 am by richardtang1991 »
Open your mind.

• GenericPie
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2013, 06:28:59 am
    • Sangju, Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 11:46:55 am »
I don't see why so many people are obsessed with getting each brand new model as soon as they come out. Ok, they look prettier and run a little smoother, but what can you do that you couldn't do on your previous phone? Other than the camera quality, I don't get it.

That said, having a smartphone has proved so, so useful and has changed my life for the better in many ways. Language learning apps, access to podcasts on the go, portable ebook reader, messenger services and countless other great things.

Of course some people use them too much and spend way too much time glued to their phones. This isn't great, especially for young kids, but when used in moderation they're incredibly useful. I suspect a lot of the people who boast about how they refuse to use them (I used to be the same) are either being contrarians or simply haven't realised how to get the best out of them.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 11:52:24 am »

What would you prefer they look at while walking downstairs?

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 11:58:56 am »
The stairs, maybe? The people around them? Would you walk down the stairs with your head down reading the newspaper?

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 12:04:50 pm »

I can't help you.  I'm just as confused as you are.   I have made a commitment to myself to never buy a smartphone.
Just because someone out there is obsessed with something doesn't mean you should have a commitment to never have/use it. I think it's just as ridiculous to be obsessed with smart phones as to be obsessed with never getting one.

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 12:21:21 pm »
I was talking last night about the joys and satisfaction of ending a call on a clam shell phone (is that what they call them?). Sometimes you just wanna slam your fingers together and end that call. Glorious.

I still love my smartphone, however... maybe too much. With all the apps, maps, and GPS systems I can never be lost, or bored.... I think I, and other, over use them, however. If only we could all find a balance with them, maybe you'll like them, too, OP.  They really do have their benefits.

• KF Panda
  • Veteran

• December 24, 2010, 02:06:40 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 12:42:40 pm »

I wanted something that could still use GPS, Music, and pictures (in case of car accidents), so I got the wine smart flip phone. It is an LG phone, that runs on android, marketed towards old people and only sold in Korea. however, the processing power limits it to only stuff like GPS, Music, Facebook, and google searches. NO games, (and screens' too small to read anything for a long period of time).

Phone was 270,000 I bought outright, and my monthly prepaid plan is 8000 won for 500mb, and another 5000 won for call/text. so 34,500/month for everything (if I divide the phone into 12 payments).

Phone is perfect for travelling for me. data on: Battery lasts 48 hours; Data off: battery lasts 4-5 days.

ON a separate note, for anyone who likes to take advantage of technology, download Maps.Me . It is a offline map and route application. once you download the country you want, you can use it offline. It also shows where you are (assuming your phone has GPS), and you can click somewhere and it will give you a driving route. The best part? There is a preset list of attractions, food, banks, gas stations, airports, train stations, etc etc etc. ALL OFFLINE.

Dude, this sounds exactly like what I want! Where can I get hold of one?

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 12:51:54 pm »
KF Panda, Maps.me is an app you can download from the google play store (not sure about apple store). Unless you are asking about an actual physical object that does this (that's not an app on a phone), then you're going to want to buy a car navigator ;)

Ah, I misunderstood your question. You are talking about the phone. I got it on gmarket. You can buy it at the LG Smart stores,but they are considerably more expensive (400,000) compared to Gmarket's (270,000). I checked other websites but most only sell it with a contract, and the LG stores you see around the country tend not to sell it without a contract. Gmarket's your best bet to the extent of my knowledge.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:57:14 pm by richardtang1991 »
Open your mind.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 12:58:02 pm »
The stairs, maybe? The people around them? Would you walk down the stairs with your head down reading the newspaper?

Well, yes. I've developed the ability to not have to look at my feet whilst walking. As for looking at a newspaper or smart phone. They're both the same thing. Peripheral vision and awareness of one's surroundings kick in.

I do get your frustration with smart phones though. It pisses me off to no end when I go for a meal with the wife and she starts playing candy crush or the majority of the staff in the office can't be bothered to turn their phones onto silent mode.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:01:34 pm by YoungMin »

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 01:02:52 pm »

My husband and I have old-style flip phones (mine was 50,000 his was 35,000 4 years ago) and we do the PPS (prepaid service) option. We pay around 10,000 a month/each - to get away with that budget you must keep phone calls to a minimum; a reasonable amount of texting can be done on that budget though.

Most places should have a pretty intricate phone graveyard, judging by the incredible rate of phone upgrades happening. You should easily be able to find something that suits your budget and design needs.

• ajr30
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 01:16:21 pm
    • Yangsan, Korea
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 01:23:38 pm »
This thread sounds like my grandpa complaining about how computers ruined everything like libraries and filing physical paper in file cabinet.

"When I was your age, if I wanted to know how something, I had to walk to the library, look it up in the library catalog, walk up three flights of stairs, find the book, skim through it, be disappointed, rinse and repeat!"

"I just say, OK, Google, and it tells me the answer."

Having the "newest" or "best" model is just like people wanting the latest Macbook or the latest version of Windows.... well, the Macbook is probably the better analogy. It's not that the new ones can't do what the old ones do, they just can do it better. Just like your 2002 Grand Am can get from point A to point B but your 2015 BMW can do it "better".

And those who are actively against them and refuse to buy one because of other people... Well, that's like blaming wreckless drivers on the cars and using that as an excuse to just keep riding your bicycle. If that's all you need for your situation, that's fine. But being fundamentally against something because it doesn't fit your needs is pretty egocentric and just weird.

Oh and while we're at it, smart phones have nothing to do with people being jackasses. People will always abuse whatever they have. Watch any pre-smartphone movie and you'll see jackasses on flip phones too. But that's no reason to avoid it unless you're afraid you lack the willpower to control yourself.

• ConservativeCat
  • Adventurer

• December 04, 2014, 06:30:40 am
    • Changwon
    more
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 01:24:55 pm »
I'm a smart phone carrier myself, but I was pretty late getting into it. I would say that, overall, the convenience of a smartphone ultimately outweighs the potential negatives for me - though I do feel slightly anxious when I don't have it.

• KF Panda
  • Veteran

• December 24, 2010, 02:06:40 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 01:25:17 pm »
KF Panda, Maps.me is an app you can download from the google play store (not sure about apple store). Unless you are asking about an actual physical object that does this (that's not an app on a phone), then you're going to want to buy a car navigator ;)

Ah, I misunderstood your question. You are talking about the phone. I got it on gmarket. You can buy it at the LG Smart stores,but they are considerably more expensive (400,000) compared to Gmarket's (270,000). I checked other websites but most only sell it with a contract, and the LG stores you see around the country tend not to sell it without a contract. Gmarket's your best bet to the extent of my knowledge.

Thanks Richard. I see on gmarket they have offers that vary but all mention, "Registered but unused". Is that okay? 

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 01:32:07 pm »
I can understand the need for something to do on public transport, I watch stuff on my Ipad myself. In the past people used to read books/newspapers but the difference is they usually stopped reading them when they got off at their stop and started walking. Anyone walking around reading a book in the past would have come across as a weirdo/ultra book worm/academic type. Similarly anyone who got out a book in a restautamt when they were with other people would've seemed very strange. Of course technology moves on but when it starts affecting social interaction to the extent it does nowadays it becomes a problem.