Read 2666 times

• mirokii
  • Super Waygook

• August 24, 2013, 09:49:32 pm
    • Daegu
EPIK or Moonkkang
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:04:45 am »
I need help making a decision- i realize everyone's preferences are different, but for this particular decision, i have two really great options. and i can't make a decision...... any new perspective or comments would help!!

current contract ends aug 25

EPIK - not a school, but a cultural center, 2.3m/2.0m resign bonus/8 days of renewal vacation/1.5 year contract/27 days vacation/different kids everyday/same lesson plan every day/400k housing allowance/ 5 min from house/ start date aug 26/ work hours 830-530 with 1 hour lunch break

Moonkkang - a highly reputable hagwon, 2.5m/1 yr contract/ 15 days vacation/same kids/ no lesson planning/ 300k housing allowance/ 20 min by subway from hosue/ start date oct 26/ work hours 340-940

i'm bummed about the EPIK 1.5 year contract. i love the october start date for MK. i can travel for a month before i start. the vacation with epik is better. hours for MK are better. pay isnt enough to make a difference. i know there would be more intense lesson planning with EPIk cultueral center.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:16:23 am by mirokii »
-kimsungil

Re: EPIK or Moonkkang
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:15:25 am »
I've heard really good things from friends who have worked at Moonkkang. They have stayed more than 2 years with them. I also work in Daegu and I think DMOE is slim pickings these days. I vote Moonkkang!
“Mediocrity's like a spot on a shirt—it never comes off.”

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:17:35 am »
Just because I absolutely killed myself with lesson planning over the past two years, I'd go with the cultural center gig because it sounds super easy. One lesson? Yeah, sure, I might get bored of it...but imagine! No more super-early mornings or late stays! No more scabby-assed psychos demanding I apologize to the principal because a PPT animation didn't work! I would MURDER A BABY to be doing the same thing every day with different kiddos.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:24:55 am »
Just because I absolutely killed myself with lesson planning over the past two years, I'd go with the cultural center gig because it sounds super easy. One lesson? Yeah, sure, I might get bored of it...but imagine! No more super-early mornings or late stays! No more scabby-assed psychos demanding I apologize to the principal because a PPT animation didn't work! I would MURDER A BABY to be doing the same thing every day with different kiddos.

IP logged and reported to the proper authorities.   

• mirokii
  • Super Waygook

• Daegu
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:28:58 am »

with that said....i know ppl who work at both. yes i've talked to both. there is no planning necessary really at MK. all curriculum and knowing the book before you teach. the cultural center. because one LP, a lot of preperation is needed. they are strict with it. you may pitch 10 ideas for them to strike 6 of your favorite ones down. i sound one sided, but this Lesson planning/prepartion is a big difference between the two.
-kimsungil

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:30:00 am »
I went to a KOTESOL meeting with a gal who worked at a cultural center. She's worked there for several years, and did affirm that it is a bit redundant. In our area, it's actually the sames schools over and over again. However, she did seem to enjoy here time, she has real ownership of the program, and overall recommended it to me. It seems like a safe, easy bet. Maybe or maybe not what you are looking for.

• mirokii
  • Super Waygook

• Daegu
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 09:38:59 am »
Is it weird that I have no idea what Moonkkang is??

hagwon. the descriptions of the two is more important than the names
-kimsungil

• ehenness
  • Veteran

• November 30, 2012, 03:19:27 am
    • Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 10:57:08 am »
Is the cultural center in Daegu by any chance? I have a good friend who works there and almost everyone didn't renew because it's so awful.

They force you to work weekends (now written into their new contracts) and often overtime in evenings as well. The pay isn't nearly enough to make it worth giving up that much free time in my opinion. A lot of the perks of EPIK don't exist at that job (i.e. the odd day off because of school birthdays, discretionary holidays etc.), and there is absolutely no desk-warming.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 11:27:52 am »

IP logged and reported to the proper authorities.

LOL okay?

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 12:24:08 pm »
wait... you have to do the same lesson...every day... for the rest of your contract?

Are you kidding me? This sounds like hell!

For a hagwon, I too have heard good things about Moonkang.

• cg
  • Explorer

• January 27, 2014, 03:08:49 am
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 12:36:30 pm »

No not weird at all. It's a reputable hagwon but it's only in Daegu from my understanding.

• mirokii
  • Super Waygook

• Daegu
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 12:53:56 pm »

No not weird at all. It's a reputable hagwon but it's only in Daegu from my understanding.

busan and pohang too. mainly daegu, yes
-kimsungil

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 09:21:50 am »
Is the cultural center in Daegu by any chance? I have a good friend who works there and almost everyone didn't renew because it's so awful.

They force you to work weekends (now written into their new contracts) and often overtime in evenings as well. The pay isn't nearly enough to make it worth giving up that much free time in my opinion. A lot of the perks of EPIK don't exist at that job (i.e. the odd day off because of school birthdays, discretionary holidays etc.), and there is absolutely no desk-warming.

Never heard of Moonkang and I've been here for several years.

Who has no desk warming.  I use to have that a few years ago when I lived in the countryside.  No deskwarming.  But, have had it for quite a while now. 

• mirokii
  • Super Waygook

• Daegu
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 09:27:40 am »
went MK contract over center. made the right choice.
-kimsungil