Read 7462 times

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Have you been in a bus/ taxi accident or other problems?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 08:29:28 am »
A couple of years ago, I was riding the express bus to Seoul from the rural town where I was living at the time. When we were about 20 minutes away from arriving, apparently our bus driver dozed off at the wheel while another bus ahead of us started to slow down. Unfortunately, our bus driver didn't realize this quickly enough, so despite slamming down the brakes (and causing all the passengers on my bus to lurch forward in our seats), our bus hit the back of the bus in front of us. I'm not sure how much damage the back of the bus that was in front of us sustained, but the front of our bus got banged up pretty badly (the glass window at the front of the bus was shattered and the bus door got warped, although no one was hurt, luckily and thankfully). Both buses pulled over to the side of the road (we were still on the highway at the time) and all the passengers had to get out. We were told to wait for another bus to come along and take us the rest of the way to Seoul; luckily, it didn't take too long (maybe 10 minutes or so), while the buses involved in the accident stayed parked off to the side of the highway. I guess the respective bus drivers were assessing the damages and such. I was somewhat shaken by the experience when it happened, but I suppose the shock has since worn off.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:58:58 pm by Mezoti97 »

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

• May 21, 2015, 02:47:36 pm
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 09:18:29 am »
I was in the outskirts of Seoul for a short weekend trip with my brother who was visiting me.  We had stayed out a bit too late the night before and woke up with about an hour before our KTX train to Busan was departing.  Also, there was a massive torrential downpour that had begun the night before and was still heavy that morning.  Miraculously, we managed to flag down a cab within a minute and explained our situation.  On one hand this dude was incredible, he was driving with more reckless abandon than any bus or taxi driver I had ever travelled with before (and I'm including Cambodian intercity buses at night).  He was doing impossible things with his taxi including incredibly aggressive lane changes, going the wrong way on one way streets, illegal lefts and charging through red lights.  To be fair, whenever we felt brave enough to rip our white knuckled death grips from the door, seat or holy-shit handles to check our watch, we could only smile and encourage him to continue bali-ing his way to Seoul station as we were overcoming the laws that govern space and time and were somehow going to catch our train with time to spare. 

In the end, I could see what was about to come.  We made another illegal left onto a major thoroughfare that was 4 lanes to a side.  Our side was bumper to bumper in the first 3 lanes, but the far left one was open for about 30 or 40 car lengths.  So, our driver decided to go down it at a speed which encouraged death.  All it would take is one driver in the 2nd left hand lane to notice the empty lane next to him and pull into it without checking for a psycho with a death wish to be coming up at 80km/h.  So, that's what happened; an ajushee in a commercial van pulled into our lane, our driver had no time to stop and instead pulled into the most empty lane at that time which also had a lot of cars in it that were driving toward us.  We almost had a head-on collision with the first oncoming car we were playing chicken with, but he was quick and pulled to his right.  Instead we just sideswiped him and ricocheted to our right, sideswiping the ajushee in the van we were trying to avoid.  That bumped us back into the oncoming cars again and we sideswiped our third and final vehicle. 

It was a mess of cars and what was soon to be police, insurance guys and paperwork.  We sat in the back of the cab for about 5 minutes, coming to terms that not only had we not died (nor worn seat belts), we didn't even get a scratch.  We jokingly talked about how close we had come to making that train...then we thought about how difficult it would be to get another...then we checked our watches and realized we still had 10 minutes to get another 3km.  After paying what the meter read on our destroyed taxi we found another, got to the station and made it back to Busan on our original ticket.
Did you not feel bad after this? You've obviously been in taxis here before, they really don't need any goading to go any faster, which is essentially what you did. Given that you had time to crash, find another taxi and still make it with time to spare, it seems a bit unnecessary.

Lesson learned though: Missing a train isn't worth your life!

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 09:56:07 am »
What happens if a bus or taxi driver crashes or a car crashes into a them?
Screetch! Bang! Crash! Baam!

What happens if a bus or taxi breaks down?
  Clunk! Clink! Clack!

What do people do?
Oh no! &@$*!
  What happens?  How is it like?
Read above again, this time out loud.

• Aqvm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2012, 06:55:24 am
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 11:20:02 am »
I was in a taxi that had an accident. The taxi was driving and a bongo truck in front of us just stopped in the middle of the road and then reversed into the taxi. It smashed up the front end of the cab, but the airbags didn't deploy or anything. I didn't get hurt. They dispatched another taxi that came in a few minutes and just took me the rest of the way to my destination while the original taxi waited around for the insurance people and tow trucks.

I was on a school chartered bus on a field trip that smashed into two parked cars in the parking lot of a museum. The kids thought it was hilarious. It was when we were arriving at the museum, so we all just exited the bus and left the driver to deal with it. I can't remember if we took the same bus back to school or not, actually.

I was in a city bus that smashed into the side mirror of a car in the right hand lane. The bus driver got out of the bus, screamed at the driver of the car for a couple minutes, got back in the bus and drove off. I guess there wasn't enough damage to report it? I got off at the next stop.

• Panic
  • Veteran

• December 27, 2012, 08:59:08 am
    • Busan
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 10:03:42 am »
I was in a taxi that was side swiped by another car, we all ended up at a police station with the taxi driver and the adjuma that was driving the other car yelling at each other.  I was sitting by myself at a table when the cop comes over and gives me a piece of paper, a pencil and a bunch of toy cars.  I draw the roadway, show the woman's car hitting the rear quarter panel of the taxi.  The cop goes over and talks to them, the taxi driver looks happy, the adjuma starts screaming at the cop.  He points at me.  She starts to yell at me, I haven't said a word to anyone at this point, and realizes the pointlessness of it. I finally get to my destination, the taxi driver doesn't charge me any money and he offers me manwon for my troubles.  I turned him down twice but took it on his third offer.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 11:56:42 am »
This past Saturday night my wife and I were returning to Seocho from Iteawon in a cab.

There was a small contact (which neither of us could feel).  He slammed on the brakes, and leaned on his horn.

The other driver must have felt something, because she pulled over.

When the cabbie got out, I noticed that the meter was still running. (I had read this thread before, so I had an action plan).

We quickly left, and I handed the cabbie the current fair on the way out.

We were only a 15 minute walk, and it was a lovely night.

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 11:59:27 am »
I was biking in the rain on a small street (was not one way but should have been) and a car ahead of me came speeding through the corner. Didn't see that there could have been other people on the other side, nor seemed to care.
It happened in a flash.
I saw headlights.
I took a hard left to get out of the path.
I slammed into the side of the park van. Bike went flying to the right side of the road and smacked into a LG store balcony (no broken glass, thank god).
I realized I was on the ground and checked my legs, arms, and hands. Things were working. There was no blood.
I lifted my head to see what was going on and the car who almost hit me was parked but still running: full high beams in the middle of the road. A silhouette peaked his head out of the drivers side. Saw me try to get up and instantly got back in the car and backed up as fast as he could.
I didn't get the license plate nor where there cameras.   
Called my Co-Teacher to tell him I was in an accident, no response. Left a text. He didn't answer my call until 8:58 AM the next day.
I felt so loved.

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 01:52:01 pm »
A few months ago, I was riding a bus that was in a minor accident. The driver in front of us decided that he needed to parallel park RIGHT AWAY and stopped short in the middle of the only lane to begin the process. Our driver slammed on the brakes - hard - so that we ended up just tapping the back of Mr. Parallel Park. There was no external damage that I was aware of, but as there had been several people standing, there was some damage inside.

I'd been standing, but I'd also been holding onto a cart full of groceries, so the added weight kept me upright. The girl behind me wasn't so lucky. She went face-first into the pole she'd been holding onto and busted her nose right open. I'm not sure if her nose was broken, but I don't think so, because the first thing she did was get out her phone to assess the damage and take a peace sign selfie.

She was still bleeding when I got off the bus, but it hadn't seemed to bother her enough to get off before her destination. Everyone else on the bus just got back up off of the floor and waited for the driver to come back from giving Mr. Parallel Park a piece of his mind. It was seriously weird, but then, Korea.

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 10:12:06 am »
Around a year ago, I was taking the bus out of my rural town, and the engine broke down. We were about halfway to a bigger city, surrounded by rice paddies and the like. The bus company sent another bus out for us, but it took around a half hour. Unfortunately, the only real option was to wait for the second bus since we were in the middle of nowhere. Maybe one or two cars passed by while we were waiting, but no taxis. Only time I've had to deal with that sort of situation here.

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

• September 27, 2011, 01:01:39 pm
    • Gyeongsanbuk-do, South Korea
    more
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 11:48:14 am »
Around a year ago, I was taking the bus out of my rural town, and the engine broke down. We were about halfway to a bigger city, surrounded by rice paddies and the like. The bus company sent another bus out for us, but it took around a half hour. Unfortunately, the only real option was to wait for the second bus since we were in the middle of nowhere. Maybe one or two cars passed by while we were waiting, but no taxis. Only time I've had to deal with that sort of situation here.

I had a similar experience on my way to school. The bus I used to take to this school only came once or twice an hour. And we were in the middle of no where, not even rice paddies, on this windy road with really poor visibility around the corners.  After coming up a big hill the bus pulls over and the driver says everyone out!  Luckily there was another teacher from the school on my bus and a 3rd teacher was driving that way, so we were picked up. But there were a few students on the bus and they were quite late for school.