Read 4923 times

Fuel Octane in Korea??
« on: June 06, 2015, 04:49:41 am »
What is the octane in the fuel here?  I always see just one pump for the unleaded fuel and they always put the same in.  Can I ask for higher octane?  I have a performance vehicle now and need 95 hopefully.  Thanks!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Fuel Octane in Korea??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:38:24 am »
I don't know the answer to you question but I will ask some people who will know and get back to you.

If your engine is pinging, get some octane booster additives.  If not, you should be fine.  Modern hi performance engines are pretty tolerant, and there are very few places here where you get a chance to really open it up.

- jnm, chemical engineer

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 03:08:41 pm »
In Korea, they never separate the grades of fuel octaine. It's either you buy gasoline, disel, or LPG. Gasoline in Korea is just gasoline. Whatever octain it is I don't know, just as long as it has no lead.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:15:19 pm »
Good presentation on Korean fuel from SK:

http://www.pecj.or.jp/japanese/overseas/conference/pdf/conference06-13.pdf

Note that this presentation is all in terms of "RON".  In the USA, they post AKI, which is "(RON+MON)/2".

Quick rule of thumb for non-engineers, Korean octane * 0.95 = USA octane

wikipedia has lots of good info too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Anti-Knock_Index_.28AKI.29_or_.28R.2BM.29.2F2

• metsubo
  • Waygookin

• April 26, 2013, 12:27:27 pm
    • Mokpo, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 04:33:51 pm »
Higher octane isn't necessarily better for your engine. It literally just means how hot the fuel burns. It's often just regular gasoline supplemented with ether to get the hotter burn. Hotter burning fuel = more wear on the your engine. Pics of a clean cylinder/gasket don't necessarily mean your engine is in better condition. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 07:09:59 am »
Higher octane isn't necessarily better for your engine.
True, but the OP did say that they have a HiPo engine, so I am assuming that they are going by the engine's specifications.

It literally just means how hot the fuel burns.

No, it doesn't.

It's often just regular gasoline supplemented with ether to get the hotter burn.

Nope.

Hotter burning fuel = more wear on the your engine.

Wrong again.

Most of the time, burning a higher octane fuel than the engine was designed for will reduce the size of your bank account.  That's it.

Pics of a clean cylinder/gasket don't necessarily mean your engine is in better condition.

True, but irrelevant.

Have a look at the wikipedia page linked above if you want to know what you are talking about.

• ado
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2012, 07:58:30 am
    • Yeongwol
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 09:22:07 am »
OP, what car do you drive?

I used to run my car on normal petrol on trackdays (around 100bph/L engine) and it was just as fast as others, infact I also ran my UK spec miata equiv on normal petrol and it was a mid field finisher. Unless your engine management is tuned for high octane you won't see much difference.

I now run a supercharged car in Korea and it does prefer 98ron petrol but it automatically adjust for all grades. I will never see the difference to the engine longevity wise, just make sure you use the engine to it's full potential every so often.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 09:39:05 am »
... just make sure you use the engine to it's full potential every so often.

Best advice in this thread, although it has more to do with your own mental health than the car's.

:)