Read 6117 times

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

• September 27, 2011, 01:01:39 pm
    • Gyeongsanbuk-do, South Korea
    more
Apartment/Neighbour issues (Rant)
« on: June 01, 2015, 03:22:21 pm »
So I'm living in a fairly old building now where the walls are thing and many things are falling apart. The main door isn't secure and anyone could walk in. There is a CCTV that I doubt is actually on. I've been having numerous issues in this place, but I've kept it because of the space I have and location convenience. 

So this past year has been particularly annoying when all of these chingus moved into various rooms in the building. They are loud and rude and creepy.  Some of them live on my floor and some of them a floor or two down. When they want to communicate they yell down the hall or stairs to each other, and in the evenings they almost always have their doors wide open and are blocking the hallway with either the door, themselves or other items.  They leave dirty dishes and trash out in the hall, not delivery things to be picked up. The building is starting to get some big bugs..... 
They also STARE at me when I walk. Like stop their conversation and watch me as I go by... Its bloody creepy! Not to mention many of the censored lights in my building are out including the one above my door so it makes it kinda nerve racking trying to unlock my door with someone staring at my back... One of them yelled in my face as I walked by once...  They are not Korean btw, not that it really matters.  I've complained about the noise a few times and my landlady always says she's "gotten complaints before and will tell them one last time". But they are still there.

This past weekend 2 rabbits trapped in a crate appeared in my lobby, were there all day with no food/water before I actually realised what was inside. I gave them some food and water and then some of THOSE neighbours came and took them. and are doing god knows what with them. So are also mean to animals. :(

Side note about this landlady: She is a little shady. I don't have heat during the day in the winter. She has the whole buildings electric heat on a timer. It turns on around 9pm and off at around 7am in the morning. When I come home from school in the evening its FREEZING. I've asked her to turn mine on longer, willing to pay more, but she says "Oh nono It will cost more money" which I kinda assume means for her.  This heat is also that for my hot water. So if I take too long of a shower or something and use up my hot water, well I don't have any more until the next morning. I've only run into the issue once, but didn't realise that was why...

There was also a big yellow sticker on the front of the building about a month back which told us the buildings water would be turned off by the end of April if the bill wasn't paid. I had my co teacher call the city and they said though I paid MY bill the landlady hadn't paid it for the building....and when you get a notice like that it means you haven't paid for a while.  She paid it when her tenants started calling her..

Also pretty sure someone takes my bills some times? cuz every once in a while I don't get my gas/electric bill...

I am hopefully moving out when my contract is renewed this August. But has anyone experienced BS like this.   If all this changed and they fixed some stuff maybe I'd stay... UGH!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:25:33 pm by krissyboo75 »

Re: Apartment/Neighbour issues (Rant)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 04:15:00 pm »
Move to a new building, your POE should be able to arrange it.

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:44:35 am »
Even if its not the end of the contract? Do I have to find the place myself?

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:33:56 am »

Is your school aware of just HOW bad things are in your building? This sounds beyond the beyond.

Take pictures of the things you've mentioned here and take it to your coteacher immediately. Stress that you do not feel safe and that your health is suffering. Say that you will need to move. Make it 100% clear that you will do this.

Your school's contract with the landlord- is it August to August? If so, your school will probably try and convince you to stay there. Unfortunately, your school may not want to start a housing contract that begins a few months before there's usually a teacher change, because if there's no native teacher following you (and there probably won't be anymore), they'd have to pay rent on an empty apartment for nine months.

When my husband and I moved, his school found us new places to look at and let us choose. We did have to pay a deposit, but it was only 500kwon. I know other people who have had to pay as much as 4 million in deposit/key money, though.

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 09:44:38 am »

Is your school aware of just HOW bad things are in your building? This sounds beyond the beyond.

Take pictures of the things you've mentioned here and take it to your coteacher immediately. Stress that you do not feel safe and that your health is suffering. Say that you will need to move. Make it 100% clear that you will do this.

Your school's contract with the landlord- is it August to August? If so, your school will probably try and convince you to stay there. Unfortunately, your school may not want to start a housing contract that begins a few months before there's usually a teacher change, because if there's no native teacher following you (and there probably won't be anymore), they'd have to pay rent on an empty apartment for nine months.

When my husband and I moved, his school found us new places to look at and let us choose. We did have to pay a deposit, but it was only 500kwon. I know other people who have had to pay as much as 4 million in deposit/key money, though.

Well HOPEFULLY I will be staying at that school. I've had this apartment since I got here (2011) and the problems weren't as bad back then.  I changed schools since then and chose to stay there because of convenience and the locations of my multiple schools and bus stops and such.  I mentioned some problems there in the past not really to the full extent..I don't want to seem like I'm complaining, and at my old school the landlady was a friend of my coteacher so he basically just told me to deal with it. 

I don't think I can afford to put a deposit on an apartment I send half my paycheck home every month to pay stuff off and I don't usually have a lot leftover at the end of the month as it is...

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:53:57 am »
You can always go out and get your own apartment mid contract but without the support of the school you are going to be paying all costs. You may have to get your POE involved since the school already has a contract with the landlord for you to stay there. I doubt they will want go through the process of getting you a new apartment in the middle of your contract especially after you chose this apartment personally.

If the conditions are as bad as you say then just work through the levels and escalate if they choose not to budge. You may create some bad blood for your future contract with the school but you have been here long enough to know about this and how to walk that thin line when you need something.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:06:36 am »
Old buildings with cheaper rents or at least cheaper dposits (which is why your schools prob chose it) will come with problems.  Same thing in the west.  You find a really cheap place in New York and you end up living next to the bronx or something with hoels in the walls and gangbangers next door or something.  As for the neighbors, well, race has nothing to do with it, but if these are migrant workers or something, they could benice people or really low class type of people with the ettiquite and crude manners to match.  Either way, get a better place.  If you're going to be here a while, try toput yur own deposit and get your own place.  A newer building will be as different as night and day.  The building owner will actually take care of their building too. 

Example, prob with my air con.  I tried to self clean due to 5 years of dust build up on the inner most parts.  Not such a good idea.  Called the landlord, he looked at it and will send a professional cleaner and repair manover tomy place tonight because I disconnected a wire in the process.   Living in a new building, the owner actually takes care of theplace and takes pride in it.  I also don't live with idiots who act like morons and have nobasic social maners.  If folks act like idiots, my landlord will put down the law and not take any crap.  He's nice but he's broken windows theory kind of guy. No one puts out old furniture, junk, or anything like that without getting the Gu cheong to come and pick it up. He'll tell you to get the Gu Cheong to come pick it up and to get it out of there. 

I lived in an oldplace and nothing was fixed and everything seemed to be my responsibility.  Then the arse had the nerve tostart trying to charge me all these extra fees for nothing like water and other things, that I currently don't pay here.  He never did anything.  Anyways, get out of there. 

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 10:42:37 am »
You can always go out and get your own apartment mid contract but without the support of the school you are going to be paying all costs. You may have to get your POE involved since the school already has a contract with the landlord for you to stay there. I doubt they will want go through the process of getting you a new apartment in the middle of your contract especially after you chose this apartment personally.

If the conditions are as bad as you say then just work through the levels and escalate if they choose not to budge. You may create some bad blood for your future contract with the school but you have been here long enough to know about this and how to walk that thin line when you need something.

Well initially I didn't choose it, I just chose not to leave yet.

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 10:43:53 am »
Old buildings with cheaper rents or at least cheaper dposits (which is why your schools prob chose it) will come with problems.  Same thing in the west.  You find a really cheap place in New York and you end up living next to the bronx or something with hoels in the walls and gangbangers next door or something. As for the neighbors, well, race has nothing to do with it, but if these are migrant workers or something, they could benice people or really low class type of people with the ettiquite and crude manners to match.  Either way, get a better place.  If you're going to be here a while, try toput yur own deposit and get your own place.  A newer building will be as different as night and day.  The building owner will actually take care of their building too. 

Example, prob with my air con.  I tried to self clean due to 5 years of dust build up on the inner most parts.  Not such a good idea.  Called the landlord, he looked at it and will send a professional cleaner and repair manover tomy place tonight because I disconnected a wire in the process.   Living in a new building, the owner actually takes care of theplace and takes pride in it.  I also don't live with idiots who act like morons and have nobasic social maners.  If folks act like idiots, my landlord will put down the law and not take any crap.  He's nice but he's broken windows theory kind of guy. No one puts out old furniture, junk, or anything like that without getting the Gu cheong to come and pick it up. He'll tell you to get the Gu Cheong to come pick it up and to get it out of there. 

I lived in an oldplace and nothing was fixed and everything seemed to be my responsibility.  Then the arse had the nerve tostart trying to charge me all these extra fees for nothing like water and other things, that I currently don't pay here.  He never did anything.  Anyways, get out of there.
The people living there are majority foreigners, but only 2 are English teachers. 1 or 2 are Koreans. I think the ones who have been bothering me from South East Asia somewhere. Its very possible that they don't have visas..

Anyway going to seriously talk to my main school tomorrow.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 12:40:28 pm »

I don't think I can afford to put a deposit on an apartment I send half my paycheck home every month to pay stuff off and I don't usually have a lot leftover at the end of the month as it is...

Then you're probably not going to be able to move unless your coteachers are very sympathetic and your school is quite generous, I'm sorry to say...

Putting down a large deposit and/or "key money" (read: bribe) is par for the course for apartment rentals here. If your school really takes pity on you, you may be able to get them to cover the deposit for an older villa (like I said, ours was only 500 thousand- certainly not insignificant, but definitely worth it considering our last place was basically held together by mold). Maybe your school could give you the money for it up front and then withdraw an extra 100 thousand from your paycheck every month? it might feel like less of a hit...

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »
I could deal with that. But had I chose not to stay in my apartment when I changed schools they would have provided me with another place. Would I have had to pay a deposit on that? I didn't when I moved into this place...

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

• May 21, 2015, 02:47:36 pm
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 01:13:14 pm »

Putting down a large deposit and/or "key money" (read: bribe) is par for the course for apartment rentals here.
Nothing to do with bribery; think you've been doing too much WayGook to think it is 'bribery'. Look up 전세 & 월세 if you want to actually understand the property rental/part ownership system of Korea OP.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 01:23:35 pm »

Putting down a large deposit and/or "key money" (read: bribe) is par for the course for apartment rentals here.
Nothing to do with bribery; think you've been doing too much WayGook to think it is 'bribery'. Look up 전세 & 월세 if you want to actually understand the property rental/part ownership system of Korea OP.

You don't need to be so nasty (or to capitalize the G in waygook- lawdy!). In my mind, money I give someone as a "gift" for the honor of living in their building is a bribe, regardless of how pretty it sounds under the law.

Regardless, the purported intent has no bearing on the fact that putting down a large amount of money, part or all of which you will not get back, is necessary.

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 01:46:35 pm »
I would have serious words with my school based on the fact that you don't have control over your own heating nor hot water when you want it. Yes, people can attack me for my privileged western arrogant view, but I would be arguing that it's implied in the contract that there would be hot water in the apartment, and not just during restricted hours.

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 01:51:55 pm »
I would have serious words with my school based on the fact that you don't have control over your own heating nor hot water when you want it. Yes, people can attack me for my privileged western arrogant view, but I would be arguing that it's implied in the contract that there would be hot water in the apartment, and not just during restricted hours.
And when I asked my original school if they would at least provide me with a space heater (I thought it was the least they could do if I was freezing and had no control over it) they said no because I didn't ask them for it when they took me to buy the stuff for my apartment in September...when it wasn't cold..and i didn't know it would be an issue...

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 12:09:13 pm »
I spoke to my co teacher today but they said they can't do anything until my new contract is confirmed....

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 01:12:13 pm »
Yeah, because you've been living there for a while, you've acquiesced to the conditions. So things are not likely to change overnight. Best bet is to renew and then get it sorted, really put your foot down. Ideally, you should have protested as soon as you became aware of the water and heating etc etc.

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 01:22:20 pm »
Yeah, because you've been living there for a while, you've acquiesced to the conditions. So things are not likely to change overnight. Best bet is to renew and then get it sorted, really put your foot down. Ideally, you should have protested as soon as you became aware of the water and heating etc etc.
I did complain about the heat issue. (The water thing is recent news to me, I didnt know they were on the same system) I was basically told to deal with it because the landlady was "doing him a favour" by letting his teachers live there. I'm not the first foreign teacher to live there. The guy before me didn't seem to mind it. 

Anyway when renewal time is upon me I will not take no for an answer!

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 05:25:22 pm »
Old buildings with cheaper rents or at least cheaper dposits (which is why your schools prob chose it) will come with problems.  Same thing in the west.  You find a really cheap place in New York and you end up living next to the bronx or something with hoels in the walls and gangbangers next door or something. As for the neighbors, well, race has nothing to do with it, but if these are migrant workers or something, they could benice people or really low class type of people with the ettiquite and crude manners to match.  Either way, get a better place.  If you're going to be here a while, try toput yur own deposit and get your own place.  A newer building will be as different as night and day.  The building owner will actually take care of their building too. 

The people living there are majority foreigners, but only 2 are English teachers. 1 or 2 are Koreans. I think the ones who have been bothering me from South East Asia somewhere. Its very possible that they don't have visas..

You'd be surprised how some cultures don't teach courtesy and respect for others.  Then again, live with a bunch of young neighbors in the west (IE college students) and see how rowdy the place can get.  IN my old building, whenever September rolled around back in Canada, the first 6 weeks, the superintendent was a busy fellow visiting apartments telling folks to shut up and to knock it off late at night. But, at least they did something about it. 

Some Asians seem to not understand there are other people around them.  Don't know what it is in the culture that makes folks like that.  Either way, live in a place with higher class people or a newer building where the landlord actually cares.   

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 07:19:17 pm »

You'd be surprised how some cultures don't teach courtesy and respect for others.  Then again, live with a bunch of young neighbors in the west (IE college students) and see how rowdy the place can get.  IN my old building, whenever September rolled around back in Canada, the first 6 weeks, the superintendent was a busy fellow visiting apartments telling folks to shut up and to knock it off late at night. But, at least they did something about it. 

Some Asians seem to not understand there are other people around them.  Don't know what it is in the culture that makes folks like that.  Either way, live in a place with higher class people or a newer building where the landlord actually cares.

I agree and I think it doesn't always pertain to apartment living. Think about the people who don't even seem to notice people and try to walk through you rather than around.   OR when you are at a restaurant or a cafe and someone is definitely not using their indoor voice. 

I think its also different because college kids are young and drunk and stupid and its expected. I had some kids from the college across the way last year. But now there are no students and these are all adults. They should know better.