Read 1072 times

  • Embarr
  • Veteran

    • 174

    • August 11, 2013, 09:01:22 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
special leave procedure question
« on: June 05, 2015, 09:20:24 am »
I've taken special leave due to the death of a grandparent. My ct mentioned that I'd need some kind of official paper proving the death and relation, which I guess in korea they have some official certificate they can get from the hospital.  I'm not exactly sure what I can get from the US, so I was wondering if anyone else has been through this? A copy of the death certificate would probably work, but it also takes time to get apparently. Thank you in advance.

Re: special leave procedure question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:07:25 am »
I'm sorry for your loss, I do believe that a death certificate would be what you need.  I know that those take time so perhaps in the mean time a copy of your grandparent's obituary? 

I had a grandparent die the day I came back from vacation and thankfully my schools let me have a couple days off to grieve.  They didn't ask for any paperwork though so I am not 100% sure what your school needs.  I'm sure if you explain to your school what you wrote above they would be able to clarify what you need/ accept that you won't have that paper ready quickly.  Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss.

Re: special leave procedure question
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 10:26:35 am »
My mom passed away in December, and they did ask for a death certificate. However, by the time I got the certificate, both my school and the POE said, "Oh, I don't need that, turn it in to your school/the POE." So all said and done I didn't even turn it in.

There still have been a couple of questions about my school regarding that the leave was not vacation time but special bereavement leave. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end because my school is very flexible and normally detail oriented, it just so happens that this is something that's new to them.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope that you need some good healing time in away from school. Take it easy. My first day back in the country I had to go to an elementary school (I normally teach HS) and teach a camp. It was pretty crummy. Hopefully you have a good support system here in Korea to snap you out of it. Mine pretty much vanished following her passing.

Re: special leave procedure question
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 09:39:09 pm »
With a recent similar situation in SMOE they accepted an obituary or a funeral notice or something like that. Maybe talk to the co-ordinator of your program and they might be more familiar with what type of documents you can get in countries outside of Korea. Personally, the last thing I want to be telling a grieving widow/child is that I need them to get me a death certificate.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase