Read 8688 times

• cashclay
  • Super Waygook

• May 03, 2015, 03:51:12 am
    • seoul
i need to go to the DMZ without tourguide
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:24:08 pm »
Is this possible. i really cant find anything on the internet.  I dont like traveling with the tour because you dont have the freedom to decide for urself.  Any info will help. 

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: i need to go to the DMZ without tourguide
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:31:47 pm »
You mean into the actual JSA? You absolutely need to go on a tour.

I think you can go to sone observation areas and museums alone. But to go the truce village etc. You have to go by tour.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 11:06:15 pm »
inb4 headlines: Idiot Foreigner Barges Into North Korea; Demands Bail-Out When Trip Doesn't Go As Planned

• terivinix
  • Expert Waygook

• October 19, 2011, 02:20:32 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:54 pm »
After the last guy, especially impossible. If you have sane intents, you could probably see more in Cheorwon without a guide.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:10:45 pm »
Is this possible. i really cant find anything on the internet.  I dont like traveling with the tour because you dont have the freedom to decide for urself.  Any info will help.

This is exactly why all tours are guided.

• cashclay
  • Super Waygook

• May 03, 2015, 03:51:12 am
    • seoul
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 02:23:18 am »
for the tours which one do you guys recommend and where do they pick up at?

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:38:54 am »
I recently went on the tour with the USO. Their tours are handled by koridoor. I don't believe you have to be a US citizen to use them, but you will have to show a passport.

I can't say anything about their JSA leg of the tour because that one was sold out. But the rest of the tour was fun and interesting. We went on a Sunday, and got to the 3rd Tunnel area earlier than other tour groups so it was nice to enjoy the peace and quiet and get in a few pictures (until the other tour groups came...). The only thing I didn't like was the stopping by the Amethyst shop when we got back into Seoul; it's obviously just to get you to spend a bunch of money at that one store, though the jewelry was beautiful.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:39:21 am »
I work inside the DMZ area and they won't let you go in without an approved DMZ id that is either provided to you by the Korean military or the US military.  My id is provided to me by the Korean military and it took 2 months to get.  Plus they must know that you are there for official business.  One time this past Larbor Day, the soldiers at the checkpoint didn't want to let me inside the DMZ because they were wondering why I was coming into work when most public school teachers had the day off.  I had to explain to them that I was going inside because I had to supervise a field trip for my school.  They almost didn't believe me till I had to get my co-teacher on the phone to tell them that I had school that day, despite it being a public holiday.  So unless they are under the understanding that I was there for school related purposes, they weren't going to let me inside the DMZ just by myself for sh*ts and giggles.  So sorry you do need a tour guide and a reason to go inside the DMZ area.  Hell I've even seen the Korean soldiers haggle US soldiers at the check point as well until they provided their identification. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:45:54 am by Piggydee »

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 07:55:49 am »
I recently went on the tour with the USO. Their tours are handled by koridoor. I don't believe you have to be a US citizen to use them, but you will have to show a passport.

I can't say anything about their JSA leg of the tour because that one was sold out. But the rest of the tour was fun and interesting. We went on a Sunday, and got to the 3rd Tunnel area earlier than other tour groups so it was nice to enjoy the peace and quiet and get in a few pictures (until the other tour groups came...). The only thing I didn't like was the stopping by the Amethyst shop when we got back into Seoul; it's obviously just to get you to spend a bunch of money at that one store, though the jewelry was beautiful.

Are you sure your tour was USO if they took you shopping then?  I did a private company tour in the summer of 2012 when I came to Korea as a tourist because the USO tour was full.  I think it was the same as yours because I didn't go to the JSA, and we went shopping for Amethyst after.   This past winter I did the USO tour to the JSA and there was no shopping.

I really think it is only the private company tours that take you shopping (that is how they make money).

Anyway, that is correct, anyone can do a USO tour, just show your passport and be at the USO office at the right time to join the tour.

The private company tours pick up at different areas around Seoul.

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 07:56:31 am »
I work inside the DMZ area and they won't let you go in without an approved DMZ id that is either provided to you by the Korean military or the US military.  My id is provided to me by the Korean military and it took 2 months to get.  Plus they must know that you are there for official business.  One time this past Larbor Day, the soldiers at the checkpoint didn't want to let me inside the DMZ because they were wondering why I was coming into work when most public school teachers had the day off.  I had to explain to them that I was going inside because I had to supervise a field trip for my school.  They almost didn't believe me till I had to get my co-teacher on the phone to tell them that I had school that day, despite it being a public holiday.  So unless they are under the understanding that I was there for school related purposes, they weren't going to let me inside the DMZ just by myself for sh*ts and giggles.  So sorry you do need a tour guide and a reason to go inside the DMZ area.  Hell I've even seen the Korean soldiers haggle US soldiers at the check point as well until they provided their identification. 

That is so interesting Piggydee!  I bet you have a lot of stories to tell!

• jaehak
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 10:45:21 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:57:45 am »
for the tours which one do you guys recommend and where do they pick up at?

Take the USO tour to the JSA.  Any other tour is a total waste of time.  It's more expensive, yeah, but the JSA/border/UN buildings are far and away the most interesting part of the tour, and non-USO tours don't go there.

• weRborg
  • Super Waygook

• September 20, 2012, 05:15:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 08:04:49 am »
I fully expect to hear a news story about this guy running across the border.
$10 off orders of $40 or more
or $5 off order under $40: www.iherb.com coupon code: ADO919

For all your health/bath&beauty/supplement needs! Lowest prices, low shipping, and quality reviews.

• AndyKanerva
  • Super Waygook

• February 23, 2014, 08:43:23 am
    • Gangwon-DO
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 08:15:17 am »
Don't know what everyone is on about, since you can just go to another part of the DMZ without a tour. If you go to a small town named Yanggu county in Gangwon DO, you just need to register to be able to go to Eulji observation in the punchbowl (great for seeing the DMZ and the NK side), and also you can see the fourth infiltration tunnel where NK burrowed into SK. You can even ride a little train into the tunnel.
You absolutely do NOT need a tour guide to do either of these things and they are both a very authentic DMZ experience, IF you want to make it out to Yanggu.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 08:24:42 am »
Don't know what everyone is on about, since you can just go to another part of the DMZ without a tour. If you go to a small town named Yanggu county in Gangwon DO, you just need to register to be able to go to Eulji observation in the punchbowl (great for seeing the DMZ and the NK side), and also you can see the fourth infiltration tunnel where NK burrowed into SK. You can even ride a little train into the tunnel.
You absolutely do NOT need a tour guide to do either of these things and they are both a very authentic DMZ experience, IF you want to make it out to Yanggu.

Well what I'm "going on" about is that there are areas of the DMZ that do require some form of identification and reason to get pass their check point.  If there is an open area for people to pass through and go and come as they please, well that's fine but that doesn't mean other areas are like that.  So if Yanggu the place to get you as close to the North as possible with no questions asked than that's cool. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:26:46 am by Piggydee »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 08:28:01 am »

99/100 people imagine the JSA when you talk about the DMZ. I did the full day long tour and Panmunjom with the part where you are a few meters away from North Korean soldiers and you can cross the line in the truce house was by far and away the most interesting part of it.

If you are content with skirting along the outside, like a pleb, then be our guest.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Timo
  • Super Waygook

• May 21, 2015, 02:47:36 pm
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 08:36:14 am »
If you're looking for being super close, Goesong Observatory is a good place to look across. Top right of the country in Gangwon. A real pain to get to though.

The JSA is the best place to go, and you definitely need a tour. USO/Koridoor is the best tour by far.

What do you mean by 'make up your own mind'. Do you mean on where to wander? If so - do you really want to be wandering around willy nilly on the North Korean border?

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 08:45:20 am »
want vs need.
Open your mind.

• AndyKanerva
  • Super Waygook

• February 23, 2014, 08:43:23 am
    • Gangwon-DO
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 08:54:59 am »

99/100 people imagine the JSA when you talk about the DMZ. I did the full day long tour and Panmunjom with the part where you are a few meters away from North Korean soldiers and you can cross the line in the truce house was by far and away the most interesting part of it.

If you are content with skirting along the outside, like a pleb, then be our guest.
Like a pleb? The Yanggu observatory is not without it's merits. The Dutayeon area is awesome for hiking and from the observatory you can see North Korean soldiers (not always) or their station base. The fourth tunnel is pretty spooky to go through as you can see dynamite marks all through it. I was just offering an alternative option to the most popular ones. Don't know why going to another part of the DMZ makes one a pleb.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 10:15:33 am »
I think there's some confusion here. I've outlined my rudimentary understanding below. If I've made any mistakes, please do correct me. Note that I've only gone on the USO tour myself, but I've wanted to tour some of the other historic sites in the area for some time (misfortune has thus far got the better of me).

So, there's the DMZ and then within that are two villages (one in each Korea) and the JSA (Panmunjeom). You need a tour to go in there. However, south of that there's a civilian control zone (the official name eludes me; it seems to just be referred to as the area North of the "Civilian Control Line") where entry requires a permit. This region contains other historic places such as Old Cheorwon.

Have a read of this blog post by Robert Koehler about touring the region north of the Civilian Control Line some years back, and this particular comment of his (emphasis mine):
Right --- the Iron Triangle Battlefield Museum will organize tours into the restricted zone (you need to do this before 2:30, though):

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264163

I just took a taxi in --- some taxi drivers have permits to go in.

Mind you, you don't need to go into the zone to see the Nodongdangsa, Cheorwon Methodist Church or Seungil-gyo Bridge.

Hope some of that makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:22:48 am by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 11:03:02 am »
You can go to certain areas without a tour guide, but I can't think of which off the top of my head.

The area inside the JSA/Panmunjeom/Camp Bonifas is the best part of the tour besides the observatory, and there's no way you'll see any of that independently. The USO tour through Koridoor is wonderful (I've gone twice) and you have plenty of time to look around. The guides are great and you don't really feel herded at all.