Read 15665 times

Re: MERS: What does this mean for Vacation days?
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 12:30:56 pm »
That is logically and legally, nutbar factor 6!

If anything, you would use your sick days.  Vacation is for when one is no longer on Korean soil.

Besides, the principal has total discretion to provide more vacation days, so that letter makes no sense.

Really?  Are you rich or just not repaying your debts?   8)

That extra 2 mill renewal allowance goes further when you don't have to spend it. 

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 01:34:55 pm »
I'll be going to Korea soon, should I be worried about this?

No.

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 09:35:58 am »
Yeah that is absolutely not how the contract works.  I don't have mine sitting in front of me, but vacation days cannot be flung around by the schools to suit their own needs.  We just went over this with some of our teachers, but I believe it specifically states that the vacation days MUST be given to the teacher and MUST be used only during their respective summer and winter vacation periods. [/i]

Excellent observation. Thanks for mentioning that. That's something we can all point to in protecting our vacation days.

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 10:24:02 am »
got a phone call monday morning saying not to come to work until wednesday because of mers. got a phone call after lunch saying summer vacation was now actually moved to that day until next monday and pretty much its not their fault and too bad about all the money we've spent on leaving korea for the scheduled summer vacation. yeah right haha.

• 외계인
  • Expert Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 07:32:33 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2015, 10:29:44 am »

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 10:37:21 am »

No.

Yes.

maybe?

You should be more worried about your skills in Frogger than MERS when it comes to living in Korea.

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

• September 27, 2011, 01:01:39 pm
    • Gyeongsanbuk-do, South Korea
    more
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 11:07:05 am »

No.

Yes.

maybe?

You should be more worried about your skills in Frogger than MERS when it comes to living in Korea.

My students are thankfully pros at that. Watch them almost get creamed one day as they bolted as the light was switching from red to green for the cars.

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2015, 11:25:10 am »
No, you friggin' hysterical noodlebrains. MERS has been around for a long time outside of Korea.

Unless you are immunocompromised, extremely weak, very young, or very old, you can contract MERS and maybe not even realize you have something more serious than a cold.

Calm the crap down!

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2015, 11:41:47 am »
No, you friggin' hysterical noodlebrains.

"Noodlebrains", really? Report to mods! Report to mods!

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2015, 12:18:02 pm »
Another MERS thread locked! Really mods?!

Was it really out of hand?

Hmmmmm...

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2015, 12:25:38 pm »
THE NOODLEBRAINS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE MODS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH *flails helplessly* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAH!

• bpetrea
  • Waygookin

• September 03, 2014, 12:30:27 am
    • Texas
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2015, 08:53:55 pm »
I'm curious what everyone's schools are requiring you to do to make up the lost time. My school was off last Tuesday-Friday. We are being made to come in the next two Saturdays. Fortunately none of our vacation days are being taken away.

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2015, 09:09:49 am »
I'm curious what everyone's schools are requiring you to do to make up the lost time. My school was off last Tuesday-Friday. We are being made to come in the next two Saturdays. Fortunately none of our vacation days are being taken away.
We had 4 days off total but only have to make up 2 of the days.  The make up days were school holidays that were attached to Chuseok and whatever 3 day holiday occurs in February. 

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2015, 12:53:15 pm »
My uni closed their doors two weeks early, I get three months vacation instead of just two and a half. No make up classes or make up days.

20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

• Archeon
  • Expert Waygook

• August 21, 2012, 02:36:28 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 11:55:41 am »
So far I have heard if you stay home, you use vacation. However, if you come in, and just desk-warm you don't use vacation... What's the point of it, if you are going to force people to come to school?

Because, Korea. 

During the swine flu kids were getting sick and/or being kept home as a precaution.  Some schools shut down and ours kept a daily tally in the office of how many showed up.  If it got to a certain number we would also shut down for a week, or whatever.  Except when I talked to my co-teacher about it she told me that many students would still come in because parents have no where else to send them (many schools have weekend daycares for the same reason where teachers must come in a certain amount each month).  Most teachers would still need to come in and look after these kids.  So....basically exactly what was going on at that point anyway.  "Yes, but this would be like quarantine, so everyone can stay healthy!"  But....everyone is still riding buses, subways, cars, to come into school together?  "Yes, but it's not official so it's safe!"  Again....Because Korea.

I'm glad we never did officially shut down because the schools that did had to make up those days over vacation.  Foreign teachers were told to adjust/cancel their travel plans (remember, you still have to do those camps!).

Some teachers I knew still had to go into work, some didn't.  Both had to work those extra days in summer + camp, thus they didn't have time to take vacation.  It was either taken off from staying home before, or they just lost the days because there was no time to take it.  It was a clusterpoop, for sure. 

It also should be noted that the swine flu 'scare' lasted months.  Yet schools would just stay closed for a week and then reopen fully and hold camps and whatnot, like everything was taken care of.  It has very little to do with actually addressing the problem and everything to do like giving the appearance of addressing the problem.  Sort of like how everything was cancelled after the Sewol last year so the kids could "grieve" except no grief counselors were brought in, there were no memorials, there were no safety presentations and everything just continued as normal except now the kids weren't allowed to do anything fun until something else came up to distract people.  Yeah, get ready for that again.

I agree with one caveat.  My school actually held real fire drills.  No seriously, in the years I've been here I've never seen an actual serious fire drill until this past week.

They had the fire engine come put out a makeshift smoke-bomb and had the firefighters talking to the students, reminded me of my highschool in the USA.

I was sufficiently stunned.  Ever since the sewol they've done a better job at the fire drill, holding 1 about every month, but this was the first time i've seen an engine park in the field. 

Progress is painfully slow.
I will tolerate your existence only so far as it doesn't infringe on science.