Read 27127 times

  • VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

    • 2422

    • June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Drink tap water? 'No way,' say Koreans
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2015, 04:55:45 pm »
Living on Jeju Island I'm conflicted whether to drink the tap water from directly under the island or to drink botted Samdasoo from directly under the island. Sometimes there seems to be no difference. Other times there's a taste disparity. Do I pay to get SURELY FILTERED water or get free pretty much the same thing with some risk of pipe contamination and water pollution (Jeju golf course grass pesticides as an example).

70% of the time I drink Samdasoo, the other 30% of the time I go with local filtered water.

If I lived in Seoul or Busan I certainly would NOT drink the tap water!


  • waygo0k
  • The Legend

    • 4451

    • September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Drink tap water? 'No way,' say Koreans
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2015, 05:26:52 am »
Living on Jeju Island I'm conflicted whether to drink the tap water from directly under the island or to drink botted Samdasoo from directly under the island. Sometimes there seems to be no difference. Other times there's a taste disparity. Do I pay to get SURELY FILTERED water or get free pretty much the same thing with some risk of pipe contamination and water pollution (Jeju golf course grass pesticides as an example).

70% of the time I drink Samdasoo, the other 30% of the time I go with local filtered water.

If I lived in Seoul or Busan I certainly would NOT drink the tap water!

How do you know it's SURELY FILTERED? What is their filtration process? Have you inspected their facilities? Which governing body is the company accountable to?



Re: Drink tap water? 'No way,' say Koreans
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2015, 07:40:49 am »
it's really absurd that Korean thinks if they boil the water with heat and mix it with tea pack of sorts, all the bad chemicals will be vanished. Same as Korean shaking soju and get rid of bubble at the top to get rid of bad chemicals.  :laugh:
Boiling water makes the chlorine (and other dissolved gases that have a lower boiling point than water) evaporate out of the water more rapidly. Putting in tea makes it taste a little nicer. The tea makes sense, the boiling is mostly a waste of energy.
Keeping the chlorine in your water decreases the chances of bacteria growth. Why else would they put it in there to begin with?
Anyone who drinks bottled water and leaves the bottle lying around after opening it for more than a couple hours (even with lid resealed) is looking at more mouthfuls of bacteria than someone drinking straight from a tap. Bacteria will easily grow in the bottle, in a pressurized dark tap filled with chlorine, it is much harder.


Re: Drink tap water? 'No way,' say Koreans
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2015, 08:53:00 am »
it's really absurd that Korean thinks if they boil the water with heat and mix it with tea pack of sorts, all the bad chemicals will be vanished. Same as Korean shaking soju and get rid of bubble at the top to get rid of bad chemicals.  :laugh:
Boiling water makes the chlorine (and other dissolved gases that have a lower boiling point than water) evaporate out of the water more rapidly. Putting in tea makes it taste a little nicer. The tea makes sense, the boiling is mostly a waste of energy.
Keeping the chlorine in your water decreases the chances of bacteria growth. Why else would they put it in there to begin with?
Anyone who drinks bottled water and leaves the bottle lying around after opening it for more than a couple hours (even with lid resealed) is looking at more mouthfuls of bacteria than someone drinking straight from a tap. Bacteria will easily grow in the bottle, in a pressurized dark tap filled with chlorine, it is much harder.

but if you don't boil the water the tea will taste terrible. Nothing worse than cold tea).
Open your mind.


  • Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

    • 1759

    • March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
Re: Drink tap water? 'No way,' say Koreans
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2015, 11:12:45 am »
I grew up drinking private well water. (ground water not on the city grid.)

I don't drink the tap water simply because it taste like the "city" to me. Same in the States.

I drink bottled here.

If I don't have any water, and thirsty, I will drink tap though.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.


  • waygo0k
  • The Legend

    • 4451

    • September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Drink tap water? 'No way,' say Koreans
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2015, 11:38:58 am »

Boiling water makes the chlorine (and other dissolved gases that have a lower boiling point than water) evaporate out of the water more rapidly. Putting in tea makes it taste a little nicer. The tea makes sense, the boiling is mostly a waste of energy.
Keeping the chlorine in your water decreases the chances of bacteria growth. Why else would they put it in there to begin with?
Anyone who drinks bottled water and leaves the bottle lying around after opening it for more than a couple hours (even with lid resealed) is looking at more mouthfuls of bacteria than someone drinking straight from a tap. Bacteria will easily grow in the bottle, in a pressurized dark tap filled with chlorine, it is much harder.

While boiling kills bacteria and evaporates some chemicals, it is essentially useless against a lot of other industrial chemicals and metals...which is where filtration and distillation comes in.

A lot of the time, the same government that are in charge of inspecting public water sources are also responsible (or partially responsible) for inspecting the quality of bottled water as well.

Essentially, the only way you can be assured of the quality of the water you drink, is to purify it yourself...or obtain water that meets the highest international standards (pharmaceutical grade).


Re: Drink tap water? 'No way,' say Koreans
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2015, 12:44:20 am »
Are you mental, dont drink tap water in Korea! I only drink bottled Avian Water.......... and even then...... I barely trust Korean products.
Social Trends, Technology and Life in Korea. English / Korean
www.omonang.com


  • VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

    • 2422

    • June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Drink tap water? 'No way,' say Koreans
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2015, 07:00:34 am »
I only drink bottled Avian Water
:laugh: ... Seriously. Avian? Naive! ... European fluorocarbons... yum, yum.

One of my student told me about his father who works at Samdasoo here on Jeju Island and his job is FILTERING the water, checking to see if it's good or not. Other students have talked about their 'boring' trips to the water plant where Samdasoo is looked at and the minerals measured and the bad stuff taken out (my students' understanding from their tours).

Samdasoo is by far the market leader in Korean bottled water and the Jeju Island product has huge sales in Japan as well.

Quote
Its clean and safe water quality is recognized by the fact that it has obtained all major global quality certifications including those by the FDA in the United States and the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare in Japan.
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_4_20_7_01.jsp