Read 692 times

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
Survey!
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:42:19 pm »
Hello beautiful people. If you are a native teacher of English in Korea and could take 5 minutes to fill out a short survey, you would be totally awesome. It is for a research project pertaining to the development of Korean language educational materials specifically designed for native English teachers. Your input_ be it yea or nay would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Just follow this link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1T_b1RX3IcTReLxOpH3Eq8hkI-rwRCMhzqjvEBEwFDck/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
Re: Survey!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 08:24:26 am »
Just throwing in my additional two-cents and experiences:

I moved to Korea 10 months ago, and began loosely skimming over the language about 2 months before that.  I rarely find time to study, if at all, and it's all been self-study so far.  When I do casual language exchanges with friends, I find since I'm the only real "teacher" here they're the only ones really benefiting. 

When I went through my orientation, we had one afternoon dedicated to "learning" some Korean.  Unfortunately, our teacher only focused on a little bit of Hangeul--we didn't even learn key phrases!  I think all of us really could have benefited from a language class, even if it was an "optional" hour a day tacked on to the end of orientation. 

I think knowing basic conversational phrases and understanding how and when to use them is more important than being able to read.  Almost everyone I know here has learned to read on their own within a few months anyway, so the key phrases are more important--especially ones you can use in class!!!