Read 3286 times

• Jharris
  • Explorer

• March 06, 2014, 07:45:09 am
    • South Korea
Is it worth doing a CELTA in another country?
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:06:25 am »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:27:01 pm by Jharris »

• daehanguk
  • Veteran

• March 06, 2015, 02:03:55 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Is it worth doing a CELTA in another country?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:15:30 am »
You won't have much time during the course to see the sites of wherever you go, you could bookend the course with a couple of weeks for travelling though.

What you really want is somewhere reasonably close to the course center and somewhere quiet to go back to in the evenings and the weekends to get the work and reading done.

For me, the second half was more intense than the first half because of the increased requirements to meet for the later teaching practise sessions. So you could get away with using the first couple of weekends to look around.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:22:06 am by daehanguk »

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:18:16 am »
I did the CELTA in Ecuador, with Southern Cross on their 5 week programme which I really enjoyed. The extra week was a real bonus and helped everybody on the course. I didn't see outside of the town we were staying in though (Montanita). Some folks headed away for the weekend once or twice but to be honest there is so much work to do that you won't have enough time for proper site seeing.

I really like the residential aspect of the course, it gives you a peer group to work with and share things together, rather than having to go home every night to study and work alone.

• jinteh
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2011, 08:47:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:19:53 am »
You won't have much time the days class is in session to go out and do much besides eat dinner (homework, lesson planning, etc). Weekends will be your only real free time. In the 3 to 4 weekends you'll have there, you should be able to get around and tour a bit. There will be lots of demo classes where you teach English, so you'll also get to meet and talk to locals about culture and such.

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 12:36:35 pm »
I managed to do the daytime and nighttime CELTA in Thailand. I find academics pretty easy though.

• Airgod25
  • Waygookin

• May 28, 2013, 01:19:25 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 02:04:52 pm »
The courses are standardized. Cambridge sends an assessor to make sure the trainers do their jobs well. The quality of training you receive from the CELTA will be the same no matter where you go.

Depending on how much you get done, the course is so intense that it is very common for people to spend their weekends on assignments or just crashing.

I'd do it in another country so that it doesn't feel like I spent all of my vacation in Korea.

Also, going to another country will allow you to network, check out the job landscape, and possibly secure positions in case you want to leave Korea in the future.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I don't understand why I am in Korea when I have a CELTA. The world is open for us. We can go anywhere.

The way that education is done here doesn't sit well with our training in most cases :(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:07:33 pm by Airgod25 »

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 08:43:12 pm »
a) You might already know this but a CELTA is useless in Korea, schools here just want a generic TEFL cert.
b) Doing the month-long course is definitely INTENSE. Don't expect to have time to do anything but work on lesson plans and assignments during the course.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 05:35:07 am »
Considering they don't offer TESOLs or CELTAs here, given the number of English teachers here, I'd say you really have no choice. 

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 08:09:24 am »
Considering they don't offer TESOLs or CELTAs here, given the number of English teachers here, I'd say you really have no choice.

Wrong about the CELTA, British Council in Seoul offers an online CELTA and I think it's the International Graduate School or something like that in Seoul

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:57:46 am »

Wrong about the CELTA, British Council in Seoul offers an online CELTA and I think it's the International Graduate School or something like that in Seoul

The BC has offered the CELTA in the past but pretty sure it's not these days.

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 06:18:43 pm »
a) You might already know this but a CELTA is useless in Korea, schools here just want a

Not useless, I got my current Uni position due to having a CELTA, other candidates who had generic certs didn't get hired.

20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 08:40:23 am »

Checked yesterday and this spring semester they were offering an online CELTA that started in March and ends in a couple of weeks and I recall seeing the Int Grad School of English offering a 1 month one starting in late June

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 08:56:13 am »

Checked yesterday and this spring semester they were offering an online CELTA that started in March and ends in a couple of weeks

The website says 2014