Read 8941 times

• BidioG
  • Explorer

• May 11, 2015, 07:24:15 am
    • Los Angeles
I will be working in Korea soon, and I love gaming.

I've read that Korea has really fast Internet, but what is the ping like when connecting to North American gaming servers from Korea?

• khalavala
  • Expert Waygook

• July 31, 2014, 06:13:40 am
    • Toronto
    more
For league of legends I got 130 ish ping.
For some mmos I got about the same.

I play ps4 and played pvp on destiny and did raids without much lag.

I think the laggiest experience for me so far has been playing MKX against my friends in New York but I think the netcode is simply bad in that game.

Good luck.

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
200ish ping to West Coast. 300ish to East coast.

I recommend using WTFast service to connect to NA while in Korea for games that you can't play local. WTFast is a network service that has servers worldwide directly connected to each other, so if you have WTFast service you can connect to a nearby server, which then directly connects to a server near your gaming server. It helps your internet navigate directly to the gaming server and improves your ping and even more importantly keeps your connection extremely stable- no lag spikes.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
As above, I usually get around 200-250 ms pings depending on where the host servers are.
I was pinging like 500 for Tera and Vindictus, but that was because I had to use American based proxy servers in order to login (which is ironic, as they are both Korean games...).

200 ping isn't great, but considering my terrible reaction times, it doesn't really affect my game play too much.  :sad:
I imagine if you play team FPSs it might be pretty sucky, but I find that it's fine for mmorgs and LoL etc.

Ping to NA servers is usually 150-300ms depending upon the game.  Ping to KR servers is usually around 15-30ms, which is an awesome experience.

To be honest ping is not a problem because as long as its consistent then you can easily adjust your skill shots to lead the target more than you're used to.

The big problem is packet loss.  Just one ping spike that goes upwards 1000ms is enough to ruin a game.  I'd much rather play with 300 ping and 0 packet loss than 100 ping and intermittent packet loss.

Yeah Korea has fast internet, but it's meaningless if you experience packet loss between Korea and USA.

If you're just a casual player then you should be fine continuing to play on NA while living in Korea.  But if you're competitive then you'll want to switch to the Korean servers.  Personally I play LoL on the Korean servers, while I play Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm on the American servers.  Ping and packet loss don't matter much for Hearthstone.  The ping and packet loss on Heroes of the Storm sucks, but it's worth it just because there's a much larger NA community compared to other servers.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:28:27 pm by robobob9000 »

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
For twich fps, you gonna be screwed.
20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
When I played LoL on NA from Korea I would typically get around 200 ping without much packet loss. Planetside 2 was unplayable on NA servers, but switching to Korean servers was infinitely better and the smoothest online gameplay I've ever had. Same with switching to the KR LoL servers.

I also played Destiny on PS4 from Korea and experienced minimal lag, although I don't know the ping exactly. I played multiplayer competitively(top 2%) and did raids just fine from here.

These days I'm playing mostly H1Z1 and Heroes of the Storm. H1Z1 isn't bad actually on NA servers. With HotS I usually get around 80-100 ping playing alone on the "Americas" or 200-250 playing with my friend on the east coast of the US. I've only had really bad laggy experiences twice in HotS, but I think it was the server based on who I was playing with.

I recommend playing on KR servers when possible. It'll spoil you for how low the ping is and it could also help you learn some Korean slang, for better or worse.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• ConservativeCat
  • Adventurer

• December 04, 2014, 06:30:40 am
    • Changwon
    more
I've not run into much packet loss unless it's a problem with my VPN. Ping can be nightmarish sometimes. I usually suffer a lot in games like Mount and Blade or H1Z1. In WoW, my ping is around 200-ish.

I've heard good things about WTFast, but I haven't tried it myself.