Read 2690 times

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Afterschool classes
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:34:59 am »
Hi, hoping to get some advice

I have just started a new (public school) contract here in Korea and as well as the 22 hours maximum i also have to teach 3 afterschool classes (paid extra)

the way this is spread out means that i currently have to teach 7 classes on mondays and wednesdays
i am a first time teacher and i am completely overwhelmed by this, i dont know how i will fit in planning everything and im feeling very stressed

i had been told by the previous teacher as well as JLP that this was optional so i told my co-t i did not want to teach these extra classes but she said that i should teach them because if not they will have to hire someone else to teach them.

i reallly dont want to do them as i dont see how i can fit it all in but i dont know how to tell her, given that i have already tried to broach the subject before.

can anyone give me any advice? eek.thank you

Re: Afterschool classes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:51:24 am »
Hey, welcome to Korea!

I also used to have to teach 4 after school classes, making my total teaching hours to be 26 hours. I know it can seem overwhelming at first but after about 2-3 weeks, you really get the hang of things and it's easy. Are you given a textbook? If not, I would ask the school if you guys can go looking for one. Makes life a lot easier.. I used to teach my own stuff in AS classes which was kinda hell thinking of new stuff to teach every week. But then we switched to textbook and it was smooooothhhhhhhhhhh hh and the kids were much better behaved.

I would give it a go before saying no to it... the extra money does make a big difference...
But then again... think carefully because you'll have to sign another contract for after school classes meaning you'll be teaching it for a year...ask for textbook...

• afheil89
  • Veteran

• August 23, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:53:53 am »
I think you'll be okay. I teach 22 hours and 2 after school classes, and I always still have hours left over of extra time. You'll just have to get used to doing most of your planning for the week on the days that you don't have many classes since your classes are more bunched up. You'll really get the hang of it very fast. The first couple of weeks might be hard, but after that you'll get used to it. There are so many lessons on waygook to use too so it doesn't take long to lesson plan.
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:00:19 am »
If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Just be firm about it. If the contract says you don't have to do it and you don't want to, stick to the contract. Chris can probably helpy ou with that.

However, you might want to give it a try...things get easier as time goes by. It'll be a couple hard months, but after you'll get used to it. It sure beats the hell out of deskwarming, especially if you are getting paid extra for it. Think of it as an extra travel fund, or perhaps pay off loans/start early on your retirement savings.

Open your mind.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 09:20:18 am »
Thanks for the superfast replies guys! I was going to broach the subject again with my Co-t today so glad to have received replies so fast.

I keep getting torn between just giving it a chance and then just saying no..the previous teacher said that they became a bit of a nightmare for her and they expected her to do more and more each time, im just feeling overwhelmed like i said..

Theyre not textbook based no, its more like just games or whatever but as im a new teacher i cant really think of these things off the top of my head so its a lot of planning going into it atm!

I do feel like it will get easier im just scared of doing them, finding it too difficult and it being too late to back out. as for signing another contract for them i havent had to do that yet, i think if they did ask me to do that i would probably back out. i think i will just continue as i am for now then.

Thanks for the advice :)

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 09:30:36 am »
No one will think you are lazy for not reinventing the wheel. Use Waygook. moSt lessons are made already made up. When I first got here, I stockpiled the lessons I thought were interesting, and now I just pull them out of storage. All it takes is a lazy Saturday in a coffee shop with a cup of joe and some music.
Open your mind.

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:24:26 am »
It would help to know what grades they are.  The advice I give is for elementary. 

If they were younger kids, then I would say no to extra class.  I have the hardest time with my grades 1 and 2.  To get those kids to do any work is near impossible.  However, grades 3 and up seem to do books really well.  If I were you, if you are considering them, is get a book (vocabulary or grammar) as one person said.  I do the book for a bit then do games.  You may use the books or not.  For instance, I do a racing game where students draw a picture.  I use the words the students learned. 

The books I like are, 200 words you must know (all levels), the book I post a link for (I have never used it but it looks good), and Everybody up (all levels, they also have flash cards you can get).  Ask your CT for them.  If your CT doesn't want to buy them, then use them as a template to make your future classes.

http://www.chunjae.co.kr/elementary/book/detail.aspx?strMenuClassCode=CJ-01-01-03-00-00-00-00-00-00&book_master_code=11142001002014
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:27:21 am by amgoalng »

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 10:34:34 am »
First of all, I have eight afterschool classes per week on top of 23 regular classes, bringing my total to 31, and I have seven-class days almost every day. So I definitely understand how you feel.

That said...it doesn't sound like three extra hours is all that much from where I'm standing!  :cheesy:

Planning and time management gets much easier as you go along. I was coming in an hour early and still having to work from home almost every day just to get everything finished, but now that I've been here for two years, it's much easier and I only have an early morning/have to work from home maybe once or twice a week. (I'm also only allowed to use Waygook materials as a template; my control freak CT has mandated a font and font size in order to make sure I "make everything." You know, 'cause apparently it's impossible to change a font.)

You don't have to make these earth-shattering. Afterschool English classes are really just babysitting gigs, for the most part. Hell, you can do movie day once a month and I doubt anyone will be angry with you. Are they levels you usually teach? You can just use games and activities from the same subject area as your regular classes. This is also a good chance to do craft/drawing projects.

I know it sucks, but things do get easier. I'm sure that three months from now, these won't worry you at all anymore.  :wink: Good luck!

• James89
  • Veteran

• February 04, 2013, 05:14:23 pm
    • SoKo
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 10:40:14 am »
I'd think twice about turning down after school classes. The money really does add up and they are easy. It might seem like a lot as you're new, but you might end up kicking yourself in a few weeks time.

That being said, if you don't want to do them, you can't be forced to. Have another talk with your co.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 10:57:02 am »
Thanks again for the replies!
It is elementary yeah, sorry for not mentioning that before.

wow meepmoopimmarobots that sounds like a LOT of work haha, makes my workload seem a lot easier. i think its just because pretty much everyone from my orientation teaches 9-12pm then has the afternoons to plan but my schedule is a lot crazier than that. although i know it isnt helpful to compare at all so i must stop doing that!

thanks amgoalng i'll look into those books.

and yeah James89 i guess im a bit wary eeitherway! like right now i dont feel like i NEED the extra money and the less stress the better for me atm because i just feel SO overwhelmed, having never taught before or anything. i'm a bit of a control freak/perfectionist too so im sure im over-stressing myself!

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 11:09:02 am »
Thanks again for the replies!
It is elementary yeah, sorry for not mentioning that before.

wow meepmoopimmarobots that sounds like a LOT of work haha, makes my workload seem a lot easier. i think its just because pretty much everyone from my orientation teaches 9-12pm then has the afternoons to plan but my schedule is a lot crazier than that. although i know it isnt helpful to compare at all so i must stop doing that!

thanks amgoalng i'll look into those books.

and yeah James89 i guess im a bit wary eeitherway! like right now i dont feel like i NEED the extra money and the less stress the better for me atm because i just feel SO overwhelmed, having never taught before or anything. i'm a bit of a control freak/perfectionist too so im sure im over-stressing myself!

Hahaa, I was in the same situation. My friends couldn't understand why I never wanted to go out and why I was always so stressed.

You know the old saying, "I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet?"* Well, last year I met a girl who has 34 teaching hours. She managed to work it out with her school that she doesn't prepare most of them, but she was miserable at first.

*Or, if you're Jerri Blank, that ends with "And then I laughed really hard."

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 11:10:53 am »

You don't have to make these earth-shattering. Afterschool English classes are really just babysitting gigs, for the most part. Hell, you can do movie day once a month and I doubt anyone will be angry with you. Are they levels you usually teach? You can just use games and activities from the same subject area as your regular classes. This is also a good chance to do craft/drawing projects.

I totally agree with this.  I don't know about your school but some of my students have their parents do this until they go off to their hogwon or other classes outside of school.  Go through the alphabet, make the students say a few sentences or words in English, and everybody will be happy.  That is why I do the book and make it quick.  It pleases the powers that be by making it look like we are doing something useful.  The book is a show. 

To help you decide I would make a list of pros and cons.  Pro- more money, look better in front of the school, being busy makes the time fly faster.  Con-less time to plan classes, more work on me I don't need, etc.

Whatever you do, make it sound like the school would benefit such as, "I would love the extra money, but I feel like I couldn't put the time and effort I need to make better classes for the students I have.  I need that extra time to plan some great things for the students I have." or something.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 12:24:09 pm »
Yeah i have the kids throughout the week so i cant really repeat stuff on them. we do the book for normal classes but i think this is more just a free reign which can be a good thing but is a bit overwhelming for me cos i have no idea what the kids have done before or even what level they are at yet really.

I do agree though, i just had one of my afterschool classes (normal classes weren't on today) and it was a really nice chilled environment, i'm hoping they can all be like that and it won't be so bad!
i think im just freaking out about my schedule haha but i will just grin and bear it for now, the extra money will not go amiss!

i will look into getting a textbook or something like that we cna work through too, i think that would make things a lot easier on me