Read 4272 times

• chavezc
  • Waygookin

• September 20, 2014, 05:48:39 pm
    • USA
Dry Skin... Product suggestions?
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:09:54 am »
Hi Y'all-

Korea seems to be taking a toll on my skin and drying it out- Nose is constantly drying out and peeling and forehead is constantly dry and developing cracks. This was surprising given that I usually have incredibly firm, clear and glowing skin back home in California. Currently, I'm applying moisturizers (bought at iHerb) after showers and some natural oil's at night (coconut, avocado, almond, etc). While this is usually sufficient back home, it doesn't seems to be cutting it here in the ROK. Any suggestions on any miracle products that might be found at the Faceshop, Etude House or Innisfree? Any other alternatives are also welcomed, price is also not a concern.

Should also mention that I'm a 24 year old male, drink/smoke rarely and eat fairly healthy. 

• Madasplaid
  • Waygookin

• October 10, 2013, 11:25:50 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Dry Skin... Product suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:02:43 am »
The green tea seed line from innisfree is great. I went through a dry patch this winter and it really helped me get my skin back on track. I would recommend a water based emulsion, followed by the green tea cream and then the oil for deeper hydration. Also, those little sheet masks they have really help, too. I know my guy friends are always hesitant to put them on, but it might be really helpful.

Also, if you are using a standard, foamy cleanser for your face, you might want to switch to a cleansing oil or balm, lots of brands have them.

• GoCyclones
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 01, 2012, 10:34:54 am
    • Central Seoul
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 08:32:09 am »
I have the same problem, but largely keep it under control and out of the way.

First off, change your soap to Dove Moisturizing bars.  You can get it all over Korea.

Second, Phisoderm lotion (if you have bodily skin dryness) is the bee's knees.  Best stuff around.  Not cheap, but accept no substitute.

Best cleanser for your face:  Shiseido White Lucent.  Not cheap, but the best stuff on Earth.  Put a pea-sized drop in your hands and lather with a little water.

• JDSR2012
  • Adventurer

• September 17, 2012, 08:13:10 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:12:45 am »
Not sure if this will help, but I get my face soap from this Gmarket shop:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=180139565

I would suggest 알로에비누, 딸기비누, 진피비누 for your dry skin.  I've had skin troubles and it's practically flawless now.  I also tried to use The FaceShop's mango butter facial moisturizer, but it was a bit too moisturizing and caused some pimples. So, I have switched to 제주의 씨앗.  I have not a had one pimple in almost 6 months.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 12:25:51 pm »
Hi Y'all-

Korea seems to be taking a toll on my skin and drying it out- Nose is constantly drying out and peeling and forehead is constantly dry and developing cracks. This was surprising given that I usually have incredibly firm, clear and glowing skin back home in California. Currently, I'm applying moisturizers (bought at iHerb) after showers and some natural oil's at night (coconut, avocado, almond, etc). While this is usually sufficient back home, it doesn't seems to be cutting it here in the ROK. Any suggestions on any miracle products that might be found at the Faceshop, Etude House or Innisfree? Any other alternatives are also welcomed, price is also not a concern.

Should also mention that I'm a 24 year old male, drink/smoke rarely and eat fairly healthy.

I heard that lotion works well for dry skin.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 04:35:30 pm »
Get a humidifier for your apartment to use in winter. The first couple years I was here I always had dry splotchy skin on my face every winter, but that's cleared up almost entirely since getting myself a humidifier.

• vietpham
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2012, 08:33:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 05:41:27 pm »
Your choice of whole & natural-non dairy cream with TUMERIC.  It's like magic just make sure you don't get it on anything white including sinks.  Vaseline is also okay to substitute for cream. 

I wouldn't recommend humidifier this time of year.  Actually dehumidifier because of mold.   :sad:  Good luck!

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 06:36:50 pm »
I have dry skin and especially in the winter it is the same as yours - peeling, dry, tight and quite sore. Now it's warmer it isn't so bad, but this past winter I used Dr. Jart+ Ceremidine Cream. It's amazing. Also, Laneige Water Bank Essence.

• chavezc
  • Waygookin

• September 20, 2014, 05:48:39 pm
    • USA
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 10:48:19 pm »
@Madasplaid I found a picture of the Green Tea Line. Which specific products would you recommend? There's many to choose from and to be honest I don't know the difference between them.

http://www.sachi.pl/public/assets/INNISFREE_The_Green_Tea_Seed_Serum/INNISFREE-The-Greentea-Pure-Skin.jpg

@GoCyclones I'll start buying dove. With regard to Phisoderm lotion where did you purchase it from?

Everyone else thanks for the suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:43:20 am by chavezc »

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 11:57:56 pm »

I wouldn't recommend humidifier this time of year.  Actually dehumidifier because of mold.   :sad: 

Well yeah, I did say to get one to use in winter   8).

The OP will probably find that dry skin will become less of a problem now that the humidity is coming back. Once winter rolls around again, though, a humidifier is great to have around.

• Madasplaid
  • Waygookin

• October 10, 2013, 11:25:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 10:25:15 am »
@Madasplaid I found a picture of the Green Tea Line. Which specific products would you recommend? There's many to choose from and to be honest I don't know the difference between them.

http://www.sachi.pl/public/assets/INNISFREE_The_Green_Tea_Seed_Serum/INNISFREE-The-Greentea-Pure-Skin.jpg
I've used the pure deep cream and the essence. They also have an oil in the same line, which is great.

Also, dove is definitely a good choice for the body. However, while the beauty bar from dove is okay to use on the face, I've heard from people that it can be drying, which is obviously the opposite of what you want. So just use it cautiously. :) If you see the dryness returning, try swapping it for a cleanser with a cream or oil base.

• amya
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 09:55:40 am
    • Yeoju
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 10:49:51 am »
I know Lush is uber expensive, but I use their in shower body conditioner in the winter. And not to be gross, but I also try not to shower as much as I do in the summer, like every other day. When showering, avoid very hot water as well.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 02:08:05 pm »
One centenarian has said that putting olive oil on his feet every day has been a key to his lifelong mobility and health (he also ate bananas and prepared his own meals for most of his years).

I'm not so sure if olive oil is good for the arteries (being less of a kick to the crotch to the endothelium isn't exactly a ringing endorsement) but I'm thinking about buying some for skin treatment.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:13:35 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 07:41:41 pm »
I have the same problem, actually mild dermatitis which has similar symptoms. I've tried a few different things but Bulldog mens skincare products (a UK brand with all natural ingredients) have basically saved my life. They're fairly priced and available at most Olive Young stores. Definitely worth a try.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 05:23:50 am »
OP: Get Aveeno.

I have had the same skin problems as you in the past, and although everyone's skin is different (so who knows what would work), I say Aveeno has worked magic on me. I swear by it, and no other lotion works on my skin. I have mild seborrheic dermatitis too, and Aveeno is about the only lotion I can use that actually makes it better and not worse.

You can get it in most places in Korea these days. That wasn't true just a couple of years ago, but Koreans seem to have latched on to it, so it's around. It's about 20,000 won a bottle. Make sure you get the Daily Moisturizing lotion stuff, not the Body Wash (although that's nice too). The Daily Moisturizing formula is just the regular lotion. They also have a formula specialized for hands if you're into that.

This probably sounds like a paid promotional post, but I chart my skin life in terms of B.A. (before Aveeno) and A.A. (after Aveeno). It pretty much made my life far less unpleasant the moment I started using it. So, I'm shilling away with zero shame.

Of course, avoiding loads of sugar and fat, eating right, and exercising really help too. But I've never been friends with any other lotion. If Aveeno were a human being, I would probably stalk it and have teen heartthrob posters of it on my wall. That's my level of commitment.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:28:26 am by Gumball »

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 08:02:55 am »
Try the egg white pore mask from The Skin Food. It makes the skin on my face quite soft afterward. Also, as another poster mentioned, try to avoid using extremely hot water while showering, since the hot water will dry out your skin.