Read 11930 times

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Epik and smoking
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:26:08 pm »
While so it seems like epik has a no smoking clause now that is ridiculous. Is it for English teachers only? Where is the anti drinking law? Drinking upwards of 6 bottles a day of soju has to have a negative affect on your health too. Soon Epik teachers will be required to live at the school and only be allowed to eat kimchi and rice to prove they love Korea and are grade a citizens.

• ShanaC
  • Veteran

• August 27, 2013, 03:10:13 pm
Re: Epik and smoking
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:33:25 pm »
What really bugs me is the double-standard. Are we actually concerned about what the students are exposed to? My husband and I have both seen Korean teachers/staff smoking ON SCHOOL PROPERTY WHILE SCHOOL IS IN SESSION. It blows my mind.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:45:30 pm »
at all the schools i've taught at the korean teachers have actually showed me where the smoking areas are once they've found out i smoke. and a lot of the teachers used to call me to go smoke together. in fact the only times i've ever smoked during school hours have been when other teachers have called me to have a cigarette together, which has been a surprisingly huge amount of times.

at my one middle school i once saw a homeroom teacher light up a cigarette in full view of his entire homeroom class on a field trip. and he did this multiple times throughout the day on the trip. but now we're not even supposed to smoke outside of the school property outside of school hours during our own personal time, in case we get seen by students. what a joke.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:22:16 pm by johnny russian »

• ohitsgary
  • Veteran

• January 06, 2013, 07:28:15 am
    • London
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:48:59 pm »
Quite right. I gave out some orange juice for the students last summer camp. Then they started shouting out "GONBAE", "ONE-SHOT" and "TEACHER, THIS IS SOJU". They were 3rd graders.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 02:54:54 pm »
Pretty much this.
No one is smoking with their students, so it's clearly not for students health, as them seeing a teacher smoking from across the street is not going to have any health impact.

So it's clearly for the reason of not providing a negative role model, which goes against the anti-smoking drive being pushed by the government.

So, does this rule apply across the board to Korean teachers? If not, it's total garbage.
Does it apply across the board to all public employees (Police officers, city hall workers, non-teaching school staff, etc). If not it's total garbage.
Finally, even if all of the above applies and is enforced,  in a country with such a high male smoking rate, it's very likely that most students have a father (or another adult relative) who smokes. I feel that a father or close relative who is a smoker is almost certain to have a far greater impact than the one time lil' Minsu saw Johnny teacher having a cigarette outside the GS25. 

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »
Did this get put into policy? I know they were talking about it but it was only talk at that time.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 03:06:24 pm »
I will refrain from smoking in public areas where there is a reasonable chance where I may be seen by students or co-workers. In addition, I will not smoke in the following settings: Offices of Education, Educational Institutes, or other venues designated by my school/supervisor/EPIK officials.

You have to sign a clause like this one. So basically you can't smoke outside your house or you have to go to a different town to smoke. Ridiculous!!

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 03:28:21 pm »
During your interview they will ask if you smoke, and drink. Be honest. If you get hired, I'd say keep it low key, unless explicitly invited by the principal to smoke out back... something that I do keep in mind.

In previous school I smoked a lot, but in my current school the principal doesn't smoke, and he has allowed no designated area for teachers to light up...

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 03:41:45 pm »
Quite right. I gave out some orange juice for the students last summer camp. Then they started shouting out "GONBAE", "ONE-SHOT" and "TEACHER, THIS IS SOJU". They were 3rd graders.

I went to 7-11 during lunch and one of my sixth-graders pointed at my bag and asked, "Is it makgeolli?"  :cheesy:

I just laughed and told him it was the blood of bad students and he screamed OH DELICIOUS and disappeared.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »
During your interview they will ask if you smoke, and drink. Be honest. If you get hired, I'd say keep it low key, unless explicitly invited by the principal to smoke out back... something that I do keep in mind.

In previous school I smoked a lot, but in my current school the principal doesn't smoke, and he has allowed no designated area for teachers to light up...

Yes, that's all very well and good.

No smoking on school property, everyone is OK with that.
No smoking during school hours, everyone is OK with that.
No smoking within sight of the school, everyone is OK with that.

No smoking 6 blocks away from the school outside your apartment on a Saturday afternoon,  because there's a "reasonable chance" you'll be seen by students or co-workers....that's where the problem lies...

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »
They will use the money saved by firing smoking English teachers to convert the English classrooms into smoking lounges.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 09:14:23 pm »

No smoking 6 blocks away from the school outside your apartment on a Saturday afternoon,  because there's a "reasonable chance" you'll be seen by students or co-workers....that's where the problem lies...
It just a way to thin out the interview process, and probably more aimed at females too. Be honest, and if they hire you, see it as a "we really don't care if you smoke, as long as you're discreet about it and you aren't a woman who smokes" attitude.

• pantsu
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2014, 10:49:36 pm
    • Jeonbuk
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 09:31:04 pm »
Soon Epik teachers will be required to live at the school and only be allowed to eat kimchi and rice to prove they love Korea and are grade a citizens.

I actually do live at my school.

pros: sleep-in, home office, daytime naps, shortest commute ever, go to work in pajamas

cons: everyone knows where you live, can't go to local jimjilbang or else see your students there too, unnecessary overtime

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 11:19:28 pm »
smoking is messed anyway
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:10:33 am by Davey »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 07:35:37 am »
Soon Epik teachers will be required to live at the school and only be allowed to eat kimchi and rice to prove they love Korea and are grade a citizens.

I actually do live at my school.

pros: sleep-in, home office, daytime naps, shortest commute ever, go to work in pajamas

cons: everyone knows where you live, can't go to local jimjilbang or else see your students there too, unnecessary overtime

Used to be story of my life first two years I was here in Korea when I worked at a hakwon.  Worked on the 3rd floor and lived on the 5th floor. 

Never showed up to work in my pjs but I honestly kind of hated it.  My boss was always up in my business.  Wondering about friends that visited my place.  I enjoy now living in an officetel that is a 30 min. bus ride from my school.  No more "hi teacher" when I'm around my neighborhood. 

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 07:55:09 am »
lil' Minsu saw Johnny teacher having a cigarette outside the GS25.

It just a way to thin out the interview process, and probably more aimed at females too. Be honest, and if they hire you, see it as a "we really don't care if you smoke, as long as you're discreet about it and you aren't a woman who smokes" attitude.

Yeah I don't think anyone cares about Johnny Teacher, but if Jenny Teacher decides to light up on a Saturday afternoon outside GS25 then there are big problems.

As a female that smokes, I always get death stares when I even try to buy cigarettes so smoking in plain view of everyone already makes me feel uncomfortable. Thankfully it's made me cut down though.  ;D

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 08:16:46 am »
lil' Minsu saw Johnny teacher having a cigarette outside the GS25.

Yeah I don't think anyone cares about Johnny Teacher, but if Jenny Teacher decides to light up on a Saturday afternoon outside GS25 then there are big problems.

As a female that smokes, I always get death stares when I even try to buy cigarettes so smoking in plain view of everyone already makes me feel uncomfortable. Thankfully it's made me cut down though.  ;D
The ironic thing is that attitudes towards women smoking is more liberal than a few years ago. So I'm kind of surprised at this new 'hurdle'. But I guess as educators, they want to keep it as conservative as possible when it comes to what happens outside of school.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 08:34:07 am »

Yeah, this is where the problem lies, and non-smokers should be perturbed by this too.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 08:47:00 am »
I think it's unreasonable if it isn't being applied across the board to all teachers and staff at schools. The 'reasonable chance of being seen' clause is only problematic if the threat of being reported for smoking outside your home ever materializes. Be discreet and I doubt s*** will hit the fan.

This feels like a poor step in the right direction. The less smoking children are exposed to the less likely they are to start themselves.

Full disclosure: I don't give much of a toss what people do/put in their own bodies as long as it doesn't affect others around them. Smoke goes everywhere and the lingering smell is rank to non-smokers.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:29:02 pm by robin_teacher »

• robvandan
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2011, 05:54:23 am
    • Seoul, Korea.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 08:55:00 am »
At my first school, a rural middle school, I saw something that I still laugh about to this day.

A middle school student was summoned to the P.E Teacher as he was caught smoking at school.

He was then lectured and punished about not smoking, whilst the P.E teacher himself WAS smoking!

Words escaped me...
"Difference is, I walked out a winner. That's my key to success."