Read 17988 times

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
Deeva Jessica's English Lessons
« on: April 27, 2015, 12:22:44 am »
Have you seen some of her videos? I don't know how effective her approach is. Her videos are almost entirely in Korean with an occasional word or phrase in English. She explains:

"I'm not a professional English teacher nor am I a native speaker. However I focus on teaching day-to-day fun English expressions gathered from experience that defy the traditional and rigid education. I hope this show will motivate people's willingness to learn English. Thank you all :D"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6bN8PpHejY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6bN8PpHejY

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Deeva Jessica's English Lessons
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 05:46:02 am »
Pseudo-English lessons.

This is not too dissimilar from 먹방, or those countless weight-loss programs on western tv that are essentially useless, but still makes for decent viewing.

This is just her gimmick to get ratings earnings.

• HyooMyron
  • Super Waygook

• October 14, 2013, 11:36:39 pm
    • Jinju, S. Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:24 am »
Pseudo-English lessons.

This is not too dissimilar from 먹방, or those countless weight-loss programs on western tv that are essentially useless, but still makes for decent viewing.

Yep, it's all about getting viewers (nothing wrong with that). You'd be a fool to watch her broadcasts with the sole intention of learning English. But you would also be wrong if you said that the average Korean couldn't learn a thing or two about English from watching her.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:03:40 am »
Pseudo-English lessons.

Yep, it's all about getting viewers (nothing wrong with that). You'd be a fool to watch her broadcasts with the sole intention of learning English. But you would also be wrong if you said that the average Korean couldn't learn a thing or two about English from watching her.

THIS IS WHY MY KIDS AREN"T LEARNING!!!

I need to wear a bikini, and since I don't have breast, I will just let 60% of my sack or penis hang out.  :rolleyes:
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:52 am »
This is great haha

I demand all my coteachers be like this

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 09:36:38 am »
She's easy on the eyes. And, when she does say the occasional English word her pronunciation is very good.
Hail Caesar

• pantsu
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2014, 10:49:36 pm
    • Jeonbuk
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:37:26 pm »
"not a native speaker"

From her interviews and wikipedia she definitely does sound like a native speaker but if she eased off the Korean in her videos then her viewers would learn something.

Assuming of course that her audience is there to learn English and she genuinely wants her audience to learn. Maybe the odd English here and there is an excuse for the boyfriends and husbands watching?

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 07:04:15 am »
She speaks quite a bit of English in this video. She talks to a foreigner and his Korean wife. It looks like he's embarrassed by his wife's dancing at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXLgtTblSSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXLgtTblSSA

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:16:56 am »
Just as the decline of cooking in the UK has coincided with the increase in the popularity of cookery programmes, this kind of video probably has an adverse effect on Koreans learning English. 'Oh I watch Deeva Jessica on Youtube so I don't need to go to Engish lessons or do any other actual study.' etc.. 

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 07:56:49 am »
"not a native speaker"

From her interviews and wikipedia she definitely does sound like a native speaker but if she eased off the Korean in her videos then her viewers would learn something.

Assuming of course that her audience is there to learn English and she genuinely wants her audience to learn. Maybe the odd English here and there is an excuse for the boyfriends and husbands watching?
She isn't a native speaker, at least from what I can hear. And she often throws-in/drops the odd article, which is often a good indication if English is their most comfortable language.

BTW, link to her wiki page? Can't seem to find it.

• midori951
  • Veteran

• February 24, 2014, 12:14:59 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 08:02:32 am »
well her boobs are perky :)

• pantsu
  • Veteran

• Jeonbuk
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 08:08:33 am »
"not a native speaker"

She isn't a native speaker, at least from what I can hear. And she often throws-in/drops the odd article, which is often a good indication if English is their most comfortable language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Jung

You've probably watched/listened to more of her then to spot the errors. The first half of her life in America, the second currently in Korea. Her developing/plastic years in Korea has likely warped her English like the many expats here who've grown accustomed to speaking baby English.

Or maybe you're a saffer who doesn't understand 'murican English.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 08:11:22 am »
"not a native speaker"

You've probably watched/listened to more of her then to spot the errors. The first half of her life in America, the second currently in Korea. Her developing/plastic years in Korea has likely warped her English like the many expats here who've grown accustomed to speaking baby English.

Wrong girl. I made the same mistake once. It's a different Jessica.

Jessica Jung is an native english speaker.
Deeva Jessica isn't.

• pantsu
  • Veteran

• Jeonbuk
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 08:19:00 am »
"not a native speaker"

Wrong girl. I made the same mistake once. It's a different Jessica.

Jessica Jung is an native english speaker.
Deeva Jessica isn't.

The amount of plastic surgery definitely hasn't helped making Korean celebrities visually distinctive.

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 09:34:33 am »
Far too often in Korea a nice body comes with an annoying little k-pop cutsie girl face. This girl is no different. Her breasts should be reassigned to someone who looks (and acts) like an adult. And what's with the mass-produced noses and chins? You couldn't pay me enough to sit down and have a language lesson with that chick.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:41:43 am by Toshiba »

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 11:07:38 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rlD6-V0kik

So - watched this video and couldn't spot even one English word. 

Anyways, based on the youtube views, it doesn't seem like she's making tons of cash, but from what I can tell, she is also on various Korean sites - and her money, just like for the Korean 'watch me eat food' streamers, comes from those sites. 

Ah, another video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRCMx5kzDU
Again, no spoken English at all - and it seems as if she's selling these as English lessons by having English subtitles.  This is dumb beyond belief. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:53:06 am by maximmm »

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 11:31:34 am »
She's annoying beyond words. She's famous for one thing alone - being a Korean woman with breasts. And I'm using the word 'woman' generously.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:33:15 am by Toshiba »

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 11:50:09 am »
Fake hair, fake eyes, fake nose, fake face, fake lips, fake chin, fake breasts, fake fingernails, fake personality, fake talent, fake ability...   I guess some people are into that, but I can't possibly imagine how that could be appealing at any level. 

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 11:54:57 am »
Fake hair, fake eyes, fake nose, fake face, fake lips, fake chin, fake breasts, fake fingernails, fake personality, fake talent, fake ability...   I guess some people are into that, but I can't possibly imagine how that could be appealing at any level.

Some folks aren't looking for Miss Right. They'r looking for miss right now. And there is nothing wrong with that in the least.
Hail Caesar

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 11:58:03 am »
I think it is fine.
It's not like she is aiming for elementary school students. That would be weird.