Read 62393 times

Re: What video games are you playing right now?
« Reply #380 on: April 07, 2017, 01:12:50 pm »
I did also play most of FFX (but I don't necessarily include it since I didn't make it to the ending, though I imagine I was somewhat close, maybe 3/4 through?).  For some reason I had a difficult time getting into it and caring for the characters.  I was surprised at feeling this way because some of my friends love FFX and usually I dig RPGs and FF in general. 

Not sure what happened  :undecided: :sad:

(I do dislike the way Tidus' character was written and hated his English-speaking voice but I didn't quit the game just because of him)

I was a fan of the battle system (fluidly switching characters in and out w/o losing a turn) and the leveling up grid system though.

You should finish the game.  The ending was touching.  Also, Tidus isn't that bad if you think of him as a regular man thrown into an extraordinary situation.  Don't compare him to other Final Fantasy lead characters.  He does whine a lot and he is sort of soft at the beginning of the game but I think he mans up at the end.  This is his story.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #381 on: April 07, 2017, 01:19:39 pm »
I did also play most of FFX (but I don't necessarily include it since I didn't make it to the ending, though I imagine I was somewhat close, maybe 3/4 through?).  For some reason I had a difficult time getting into it and caring for the characters.  I was surprised at feeling this way because some of my friends love FFX and usually I dig RPGs and FF in general. 

Not sure what happened  :undecided: :sad:

(I do dislike the way Tidus' character was written and hated his English-speaking voice but I didn't quit the game just because of him)

I was a fan of the battle system (fluidly switching characters in and out w/o losing a turn) and the leveling up grid system though.

You should finish the game.  The ending was touching.  Also, Tidus isn't that bad if you think of him as a regular man thrown into an extraordinary situation.  Don't compare him to other Final Fantasy lead characters.  He does whine a lot and he is sort of soft at the beginning of the game but I think he mans up at the end.  This is his story.

I honestly believe that much of my problem with him would have been fixed had there been a different voice actor (even if his dialogue remained the same)-- I gave a listen to the original Japanese voice actor and found it better.  I kept reminding myself that he was young and just a kid but STRUGGLE.  I'll have to finish it someday. 

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #382 on: April 07, 2017, 01:40:45 pm »

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• Korealand
« Reply #383 on: April 07, 2017, 01:41:55 pm »
I listened to it again thinking, Oh it can't possibly be as bad as I remember it. 

Nope.  Totally wrong.  Just as bad as ever. 

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #384 on: April 07, 2017, 01:50:27 pm »
But the bad voice acting made it more satisfying in Dissidia to whoop Tidus's butt by playing as Jecht. That's how I got mine to level 100 :D

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #385 on: April 07, 2017, 01:52:57 pm »
I hated Final Fantasy 12.  It was just boring.  Why do people like it?  I am surprised.  At the time I thought the battle system and the story were both trash.

this is the only Final Fantasy i've played that i've never finished. the battle system was so bad it actually put me off it.

• gprinziv
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2017, 10:47:15 am
    • Sangju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do, South Korea
« Reply #386 on: April 07, 2017, 01:56:55 pm »
 The irony being that forced laugh was supposed to sound awful and it doesn't really help one bit.

I like Tidus as a character because thebwriting around him is clever, and you get to see a lot of the annoying oarts of him smoothed out as ge gains awareness of the situation.

Luke fon Fabre of Tales of the Abyss is an even better example of that.

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #387 on: April 07, 2017, 02:03:24 pm »
I hated Final Fantasy 12.  It was just boring.  Why do people like it?  I am surprised.  At the time I thought the battle system and the story were both trash.

this is the only Final Fantasy i've played that i've never finished. the battle system was so bad it actually put me off it.

I think I'm the only person who loved the gameplay XD It was much more like an mmo and I loved that. I liked the licence system too so everyone could learn everything (kind of like the sphere grid). The battle system was so in depth than when 13 came out I was like "WTF IS THIS" because it was a massive leap backwards with the whole auto play thing.

I'm also one of the few people who liked White Knight Chronicles for the game play tho.... That's another garbage story but the gameplay was good. I think I have a high tolerance for awful story tho...

• gprinziv
  • Adventurer

« Reply #388 on: April 07, 2017, 02:32:55 pm »
I also liked it, but with the zodiac job system restrictions. It made team building an interesting exercise. Gambits weren't particularly exciting sometimes, but the game had good flow for me. I could chain farm without much complaint and I hate grinding.

XIII, I actually think had a brilliant battle system hampered by its terrible pacing. You could do some crazy cool shit once you mastered the system (COM Army of One springs to mind.)

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #389 on: April 07, 2017, 02:50:21 pm »
I also liked it, but with the zodiac job system restrictions. It made team building an interesting exercise. Gambits weren't particularly exciting sometimes, but the game had good flow for me. I could chain farm without much complaint and I hate grinding.

XIII, I actually think had a brilliant battle system hampered by its terrible pacing. You could do some crazy cool shit once you mastered the system (COM Army of One springs to mind.)

You COUUUUUUUUULD do cool stuff maybe in XIII but I have chronic laziness so auto play just picked what was best for me. Auto mode should never be included in a game. Unless it's auto drive mode in FFXV cuz screw driving everywhere. That world's too big. I make Iggy do everything for me in my hot pink car :}

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #390 on: April 07, 2017, 03:15:23 pm »
Yeah just don't save when you're near the end and it prompts you to... I saved and little did I know I was severely under leveled to finish the game and it wouldn't let me go back so I had to restart :'(

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #391 on: April 07, 2017, 03:16:37 pm »

The story was completely forgettable, but the battle system was great! I tweaked gambits for hours. Back in 2006, it was leaked a month early and the guys in video game alley in Yongsan were selling it. I finished it before it was officially released (never beat that one boss that takes 8 hours or something though.)

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #392 on: April 10, 2017, 11:08:37 am »
Played and finished Dead Rising 3 over the weekend. It's kinda short, and gets boring if you play it for too long. But overall, kind of fun.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #393 on: April 10, 2017, 11:15:36 am »
Played Civ6 this weekend. Civ6 isn't a game, it's a time machine which transports you from 5pm to 2AM.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #394 on: April 10, 2017, 11:19:01 am »
Played Civ6 this weekend. Civ6 isn't a game, it's a time machine which transports you from 5pm to 2AM.

If you played Civ5, does the gameplay differ from it much? :O
I tried to play 5, as a lot of my friends love that game, but could never get into it. :(

• gprinziv
  • Adventurer

« Reply #395 on: April 11, 2017, 08:45:37 am »
My copy of Breath of the Wild arrived yesterday.

My Switch is still in customs.

Argh.

« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2017, 08:49:41 am »
Breath of the Wild
Breath of the Wild
Breath of the Wild

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2017, 09:48:58 am »

If you played Civ5, does the gameplay differ from it much? :O
I tried to play 5, as a lot of my friends love that game, but could never get into it. :(

It's Civ5 with different graphics and a few changes, specifically the district system. The districts can make the game more dynamic, if you decide to go into deeper strategies.
I'd say it is slightly more forgiving than Civ5.

The issue most people have with Civ games is the learning curve. I'd focus on learning the dynamics of one victory condition and going for that, instead of trying to balance everything out. Stick to the smaller maps and quicker games at first.

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2017, 10:55:56 am »
Odallus: The Dark Call

Cheesy, fun, action platformer on Steam.

• 미국인병
  • Veteran

• November 25, 2016, 08:41:27 am
    • 울산
    more
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2017, 11:11:53 am »
Persona 5

Something about playing a high-school kid in an Asian school while IRL being a school teacher in an Asian school is oddly satisfying.