Read 62433 times

• Morfee
  • Super Waygook

• August 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
    • Gangwon-Do
Re: What video games are you playing right now?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 12:04:47 pm »
Good thread

Recently been playing through some classics, mostly because I wanted to re-engage with my past to solidify my personal identity, but also my wife has said I'm not allowed to use her computer anymore because she is now using it for her work and I'm left with my craptop.

So I have played and finished:

Doom
Doom 2
The Dig
System Shock 2
Medieval Total War

Also finished FTL, but that isn't really a classic.

I'm thinking of playing through the first Deus Ex, any other suggestions?

Depend what you rocked back in the day. I recently re-played final fantasy and am currently doing skirmishes on various Command and Conqueror games when I get a spare hour or two.

Getting some old ROMS for the snes is good fun, some amazing games to be found there.

hell yeah, I have almost every classic console system emulated on my craptop.  The only problem is sourcing decent controllers, all I have is a 3rd party x-box controller, useless for mario etc.

Command and Conquer is a good idea, I never got around to playing Tiberian sun, maybe I should play through that.

Also never played any final fantasy games, I don't really know where to start though, isn't there a million of them?

Tiberium Sun was my favourite game for a long time, definitely give it a go. I'm currently playing Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath (my laptop can handle them and the graphics aren't quite terrible).

With regards to Final Fantasy: They're up to like 15 or something now, but they stopped being good at after number 10 and hit the MMORPG genre more recently. They're also an acquired taste, a bit like anime in that you either enjoy it or don't.

Final Fantasy 7 is the quintessential FF game in my opinion that takes a LONG time to complete, and you have a lot of freedom to do your own thing. The music is just magical and the story is great. You should also be able to find this for PC with ease (pirate or otherwise).

8 was made by a different team and has better graphics but perhaps lacks on the story a little. 9 feels more Japanese in that the characters got a little bit strange but it was still great.

I'd also recommend 6, but if you go much earlier than that then you're talking VERY old and  it feels a bit like playing pokemon on a gameboy colour.

To elaborate on the FF games, if you want to start on one, I'd have to say start on FF6 (the JPN title) or FF3 (US title). It's always good to pay homage, by starting on the one the cemented the FF series, and most folks agree that was FF6. The game is pretty unforgettable and I'm sorry, but the graphics are gorgeous. FF6 has always been my favourite. I was too juvenile to play or understand it, when it was released. I remember my brother playing it on his SNES, when it was released. FF8 was my first FF game and FF6 came after.

Another one not to overlook is FF tactics. Tactics is a tremendous turn-based RPG game. The battle system is unique to FF games and by far the most complex... You'll be unlocking jobs for a long time. The remastered version has improved dialogue and a few additions making it worth it.

FF7 is, by far, the most popular one and rightly so... Probably because it was the first FF to go 3d. You'll constantly hear arguments between fans arguing that FF7 is better than FF8 and vice-versa (Personally, I love FF8 more). Both are spectacular games.

FF8, my close second favourite. Beautiful music, great battle system, stunning graphics and
since it was my first FF (unforgettable storyline).

As Morfee said, FF9 hearkened back to the roots of FF, since it was a significant game (being the last FF game to be released on PS1, at the time it was a big deal). The game was, of course, brilliant... Albeit, a tad 'childish' in style and design... I've had some heated debates with a close friend of mine who swears FF9 is the greatest FF ever.

FF10, where things started to go wrong. It was the first FF to ave voice acting. Don't get me wrong, it was an outstanding game (especially the soundtrack and graphics). However, there were too many annoying things,
number one being Tidus! Tidus IS the most annoying protagonist ever! The dialogue was
also extremely cheesy and I switched  to the Japanese audio at the earliest possible opportunity.

For classic JRPG, please remember Capcom's Breathe of Fire series. Especially BOF 3!

... Damn. This thread has just probably caused me to lose a few hundred hours of my life. BRB, downloading all the FF games again.

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 12:06:01 pm »
Master of Orion 2

• moogle
  • Adventurer

• January 18, 2010, 09:34:14 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 12:11:49 pm »
Good thread

Recently been playing through some classics, mostly because I wanted to re-engage with my past to solidify my personal identity, but also my wife has said I'm not allowed to use her computer anymore because she is now using it for her work and I'm left with my craptop.

So I have played and finished:

Doom
Doom 2
The Dig
System Shock 2
Medieval Total War

Also finished FTL, but that isn't really a classic.

I'm thinking of playing through the first Deus Ex, any other suggestions?

Depend what you rocked back in the day. I recently re-played final fantasy and am currently doing skirmishes on various Command and Conqueror games when I get a spare hour or two.

Getting some old ROMS for the snes is good fun, some amazing games to be found there.

hell yeah, I have almost every classic console system emulated on my craptop.  The only problem is sourcing decent controllers, all I have is a 3rd party x-box controller, useless for mario etc.

Command and Conquer is a good idea, I never got around to playing Tiberian sun, maybe I should play through that.

Also never played any final fantasy games, I don't really know where to start though, isn't there a million of them?

Tiberium Sun was my favourite game for a long time, definitely give it a go. I'm currently playing Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath (my laptop can handle them and the graphics aren't quite terrible).

With regards to Final Fantasy: They're up to like 15 or something now, but they stopped being good at after number 10 and hit the MMORPG genre more recently. They're also an acquired taste, a bit like anime in that you either enjoy it or don't.

Final Fantasy 7 is the quintessential FF game in my opinion that takes a LONG time to complete, and you have a lot of freedom to do your own thing. The music is just magical and the story is great. You should also be able to find this for PC with ease (pirate or otherwise).

8 was made by a different team and has better graphics but perhaps lacks on the story a little. 9 feels more Japanese in that the characters got a little bit strange but it was still great.

I'd also recommend 6, but if you go much earlier than that then you're talking VERY old and  it feels a bit like playing pokemon on a gameboy colour.

To elaborate on the FF games, if you want to start on one, I'd have to say start on FF6 (the JPN title) or FF3 (US title). It's always good to pay homage, by starting on the one the cemented the FF series, and most folks agree that was FF6. The game is pretty unforgettable and I'm sorry, but the graphics are gorgeous. FF6 has always been my favourite. I was too juvenile to play or understand it, when it was released. I remember my brother playing it on his SNES, when it was released. FF8 was my first FF game and FF6 came after.

Another one not to overlook is FF tactics. Tactics is a tremendous turn-based RPG game. The battle system is unique to FF games and by far the most complex... You'll be unlocking jobs for a long time. The remastered version has improved dialogue and a few additions making it worth it.

FF7 is, by far, the most popular one and rightly so... Probably because it was the first FF to go 3d. You'll constantly hear arguments between fans arguing that FF7 is better than FF8 and vice-versa (Personally, I love FF8 more). Both are spectacular games.

FF8, my close second favourite. Beautiful music, great battle system, stunning graphics and
since it was my first FF (unforgettable storyline).

As Morfee said, FF9 hearkened back to the roots of FF, since it was a significant game (being the last FF game to be released on PS1, at the time it was a big deal). The game was, of course, brilliant... Albeit, a tad 'childish' in style and design... I've had some heated debates with a close friend of mine who swears FF9 is the greatest FF ever.

FF10, where things started to go wrong. It was the first FF to ave voice acting. Don't get me wrong, it was an outstanding game (especially the soundtrack and graphics). However, there were too many annoying things,
number one being Tidus! Tidus IS the most annoying protagonist ever! The dialogue was
also extremely cheesy and I switched  to the Japanese audio at the earliest possible opportunity.

For classic JRPG, please remember Capcom's Breathe of Fire series. Especially BOF 3!

... Damn. This thread has just probably caused me to lose a few hundred hours of my life. BRB, downloading all the FF games again.

Dang you guys are stirring up the nostalgic feels in me. FF8 will always be my favorite as it was the game that introduced me to the series. Then FF7, FF10, FF12, FF9 in that order. I put in 20 hours into FF13, but just could not finish it. I may have to give that a shot eventually after hearing you guys talk about it. Either that or FF6, but I have so many games that I need to play. I'm currently working on Cities Skylines and GTA5 for PC, and Mario Kart 8 and super mash bros on the nintendo Wii U.

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:29 pm »

Couldn't agree more BoF 2 was also pretty solid. If you want to play a RPG that will really go old school pick up any Dragon Warrior game.

I remember arguing with somebody who said that FF9 was far better than 6. I really want to know what that guy was smoking.

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 12:17:39 pm »
Metal Gear Solid 4. I started the whole series for my first time a few months back. Kojima is clearly insane, though in a good way.

Did you see the news that his name is going to be taken off future games since he is leaving the project and maybe Konami altogether?

Yeah I did. While I don't have the level of nostalgia and, well, insane reverence for the series that people who play them when they come out seem to have, I don't think the games will be quite right without Kojima's particular brand of craziness either. I hear 4 is a good ending to the series anyway.

• Anbairui
  • Waygookin

• December 18, 2013, 02:05:02 pm
    • Daejeon, Korea
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 12:19:15 pm »
Currently, I'm into Crusader Kings II, Rome Total War, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Assassin's Creed Unity.  I'm also checking out Distant Worlds, but I'm still struggling to learn how to play.

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 12:19:27 pm »

Either that or FF6,

Awesome user name, you really should play FF6 since one of the playable characters in that game is a moogle.

• VaterRoss
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2012, 01:12:28 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 12:21:37 pm »
Master of Orion 2

Ha, I love those games. Do you play Galciv 2 as well?

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 12:22:51 pm »
Hearthstone.
I'm seriously addicted...might quit my day job and go pro ;P

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »
I'm keeping up with Telltale's interactive adventure games and I'm waiting for the first season of Game of Thrones to be completed before I start playing it.

Otherwise, these days I find myself more often playing mobile games while commuting via bus.  While mobile gaming it itself is not that great, there are some very legit emulators for nintedo DS, PSP,PSX and others.  So, I find myself using those to play tons of turn-based strategy games like fire emblem, advance wars and others.  When I'm done with those, I'll move on to adventure games like dusk hotel, 999, etc. 

• moogle
  • Adventurer

• January 18, 2010, 09:34:14 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 12:42:04 pm »

Either that or FF6,

Awesome user name, you really should play FF6 since one of the playable characters in that game is a moogle.

Thanks haha I think you just made the choice clear for me :)!

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 12:43:21 pm »
I used to be big on Crusader Kings II, CIV4/5, Rome,  and other strategy games... but I haven't played any in such a long time. Even bought the new(er) Europa Universalis IV and all DLC packs a few months back but haven't even looked at it yet. Why? because like all Paradox games, it has a really steep learning curve (about 20hours) and I haven't had the time.

I have a staycation coming up. I might just go hardcore on them.

Short puzzle or causal games I've enjoyed

World of Goo
Plant Vs Zombies
FEZ
Battle Block Theater
FTL
Thomas Was Alone (who knew you could get so attached to shapes)
Terraria

• ajr30
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 01:16:21 pm
    • Yangsan, Korea
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 01:02:17 pm »
BTW, if you have a tablet (or phone, I guess) you can emulate a lot of these classics. I'm trying to play Final Fantasy: Hallway Simulator (you know the one...) on the PC but during the commutes, my tablet is rocking Chrono Trigger and FF6 (3).

Edit: This is the emulator I'm using. It works well and it's free unless you want the premium features.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.portableandroid.classicboyLite
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:06:21 pm by ajr30 »

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 01:07:59 pm »
I'm on Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (online play)

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 01:33:54 pm »
DayZ, DOTA 2, GTA V Online. I need some peeps to jam with, so lonely here in the online gaming world :(

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• November 22, 2009, 03:45:15 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 01:54:06 pm »
First of all, FF3/6 (depending on which release you are talking about) is clearly the best final fantasy game. There is no question or debate about this. If you don't agree you are wrong and should feel bad. (Oh opera scene, how you be so sad???)

These days I'm playing Smite and Pillars of Eternity.

Smite is a MOBA but using a 3rd person camera. I could never get in to DOTA or LoL because of the top down view, but Smite has hooked me. (You like skillshots? Good, cuz everything is a skillshot!) It's F2P with a rotating roster of characters you can use, and you can permanently unlock characters using currency earned by playing or with cash. Havin a blast, if anyone wants to try it out send me a message! Always looking for people to group with.

Pillars of Eternity, can't recommend it enough! It's a real homage to the old Baldur's Gate games, same style, not much better graphics, but great writing, great systems, a lot of depth. It's pretty damn oldschool, so it may not be for everyone, but I think it's fantastic.

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 01:55:28 pm »
Who knows a fantastic (preferably free) MMORPG or MMORTS that can be played on MAC?

Actually a really good RTS browser game would be wonderful
Open your mind.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 01:59:22 pm »
Who knows a fantastic (preferably free) MMORPG or MMORTS that can be played on MAC?

Actually a really good RTS browser game would be wonderful

I remember playing neptunes pride in a browser, that was great, although each game takes about a week

• Zeta
  • Waygookin

• January 24, 2014, 01:11:52 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 02:02:09 pm »
Final Fantasy 14 - Always played MMORPGs and I play on NA servers. There are Japanese data-servers and I play on Tonberry server which has a lot of English speakers. Just started playing this one after a hiatus from GW2 which was my bread and butter due to it being the best PvP MMO on the market. FF14 is the PvE king. It's nice to be able to play an MMO with great ping. It is really polished and has a lot of content, it plays like a FF series game just with modern MMO components.

Heroes of the Storm - A much more action oriented rendition of MOBAs, which makes it more fun than the rest of the mobas for me (Dota1+2, HoN, LoL). I play on NA so get 200-250ms which can be frustrating but some times when solo queuing matching with Asia/SEA/Oceanic people nets a 100ms game.

Dungeon of the Endless - A roguelike with free access on Steam last weekend. Never tried a roguelike except StoneSoup briefly. This game is really fun and addictive and has a perfect mix of chemicals that I like: heroes, squad tactics, turret-defence, luck, strategy, real consequences/threats, different game modes. A pleasant surprise for me and immensely enjoyable.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:05:41 pm by Zeta »

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 02:44:15 pm »
Let's see

Cities: Skylines, Nba2K15, Tropico... 4 , SW:The Old Republic, Hearthstone, TF2, Civ Space, and Kerbal Space