Read 107877 times

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
Re: What video games are you playing right now?
« Reply #1080 on: January 08, 2021, 01:41:11 pm »
i've been playing so much chess. also still on my call of duty bullshit and the new path of exile league is coming out right when my winter vacation starts. but really chess is super fun

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #1081 on: January 10, 2021, 02:46:39 pm »
i just finished The Last of Us and The Last of Us 2

wow, if those aren't two of the best games i've ever played. i love Naughty Dog's storytelling and characters. the Uncharted series was great in this regard too

i have to say, i was very surprised to see TLOU2 get so much hate online. what's up with that? it was phenomenal in my opinion! really can't think of many faults at all. the only thing i will say is that for a game that's more focused on stealth, the AI wasn't quite as good as i would have liked. but better than most games, and it didn't spoil my fun at all. but, man, EVERYTHING else about the game was excellent. i finished both of these games within a week!

TLOU1 10/10
TLOU2 9.5/10
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:55:09 pm by oglop »

« Reply #1082 on: January 10, 2021, 03:18:31 pm »
i just finished The Last of Us and The Last of Us 2

wow, if those aren't two of the best games i've ever played. i love Naughty Dog's storytelling and characters. the Uncharted series was great in this regard too

i have to say, i was very surprised to see TLOU2 get so much hate online. what's up with that? it was phenomenal in my opinion! really can't think of many faults at all. the only thing i will say is that for a game that's more focused on stealth, the AI wasn't quite as good as i would have liked. but better than most games, and it didn't spoil my fun at all. but, man, EVERYTHING else about the game was excellent. i finished both of these games within a week!

TLOU1 10/10
TLOU2 9.5/10

Both were phenomenal games. I agree that the AI for TLOU2 was a bit of a let down, particularly as they were hyping it up to be revolutionary. It was decent, but nowhere near as good as the hype.
Favourite thing about TLOU2 was the combat; grounded, desperate and brutal. It got hate because many gamers are essentially 5yr olds throwing hissy fits on the internet. For every 1 thing that annoyed me about
TLOU2 there were 10 things I loved. TLOU2 deserved game of the year, IMO.

I agree TLOU - 10/10, TLUO2 9.7/10

Just finished Metro Exodus, wanted to play something to show off my hardware. The game was... sub par and kinda fun.

Pros
Gorgeous visual

Cons
For a 2019 game it was still ULTRA buggy and that's inexcusable
Way too much stealth and discouraging killing enemies... I've got cool guns, let me shoot. I'm not interested in spending half the game sneaking around.
(Personal gripe) If there's one thing I hate more than generic FPS games it's FPS combined with stealth.
Characters talking at the same time and voices out of synch with actions (buggy)

Rating - 6/10, only reason it isn't lower is I got it on sale. I got the DLCs too, but this is one game I'll probably never touch again, I just finished it to conclude the story, which wasn't that great.

Taking a bit of a break for the PC to play some boardgames, Etherfields.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #1083 on: January 10, 2021, 04:24:28 pm »
Yeah I loved the combat. I loved thinking about my ammo and barely having enough the entire game. I loved the close quarters combat and smashing a clicker in the head with a crowbar. Going into a spore-infested area was always terrifying and I'd breathe a genuine sigh of relief when I was out of there. Great stuff.

Game of the year for me too. What an experience

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #1084 on: January 11, 2021, 07:52:35 am »
Yeah I loved the combat. I loved thinking about my ammo and barely having enough the entire game. I loved the close quarters combat and smashing a clicker in the head with a crowbar. Going into a spore-infested area was always terrifying and I'd breathe a genuine sigh of relief when I was out of there. Great stuff.

Game of the year for me too. What an experience

I love the first LOU but the 2nd was crap, imo.
The storyline elements felt like it was written by an edgy teenager - full of issues.
The AI was a let down, and while it would have been visually impressive, FF7r raised the bar visually. LOU2 didn't even add footprints and stuff while walking in mud - it's small details like that, that didn't reach the bar, IMO.

There were things I did like, like how they kept true to core elements of 1, the music was good, and the voice acting was pretty good too.
Personally, I think it didn't deserve game of the year, FF7r was game of the year for me, even though it's not complete yet (and probably the only reason it didn't win too)

« Reply #1085 on: January 11, 2021, 10:18:11 am »
I love the first LOU but the 2nd was crap, imo.
The storyline elements felt like it was written by an edgy teenager - full of issues.
The AI was a let down, and while it would have been visually impressive, FF7r raised the bar visually. LOU2 didn't even add footprints and stuff while walking in mud - it's small details like that, that didn't reach the bar, IMO.

There were things I did like, like how they kept true to core elements of 1, the music was good, and the voice acting was pretty good too.
Personally, I think it didn't deserve game of the year, FF7r was game of the year for me, even though it's not complete yet (and probably the only reason it didn't win too)

FF7R, terrific game and can definitely understand why some argue it should be GOTY.

FF7R

Pros

- Combat system was an awesome blend of the more modern, fast-paced battle action battle as well as the traditional turn-based combat people like me love.
- The MUSIC!
- Wall Market!

Cons

- The way Square is trying to keep raunchiness, romance and lewdness out of the game while keeping oodles of sexual connotation and fanservice in a weird asexual way is just laughably goofy and unrealistic to me as an adult.
- Modern Japanese storytelling in media has a unique magic and flair but at the same time, there's this 'Peter Pan'' effect where it makes games and media centred around teenagers.
- Even for a guy who prefers and loves linear games, this one was too linear. Yes, part 2 will probably allow you to explore the world and stuff, but this is still a complete game.
- If there was ever a case for edgy weeaboo storytelling, this game would be it. Yes, it's still the original story from the 90s, but still.

My GOTY contenders are TLOU2, FF7R and Ghosts of Tsushima. Personally, I think the winner is going to come down to preference as all these games are masterpieces in their own way.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #1086 on: January 11, 2021, 12:42:27 pm »
Can't someone bring back the classics while improving the controls or joysticks and update the graphics for the 21st century.  If anyone knows how to do this to re tool the classics and then re release a modern version of them, that would be great.  Pacman, Space invaders, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Pong, Super Mario Brothers, etc.  (Nintendo, Atarti, Sega, etc.) 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #1087 on: January 11, 2021, 01:04:29 pm »
FF7R, terrific game and can definitely understand why some argue it should be GOTY.

FF7R

Pros

- Combat system was an awesome blend of the more modern, fast-paced battle action battle as well as the traditional turn-based combat people like me love.
- The MUSIC!
- Wall Market!

Cons

- The way Square is trying to keep raunchiness, romance and lewdness out of the game while keeping oodles of sexual connotation and fanservice in a weird asexual way is just laughably goofy and unrealistic to me as an adult.
- Modern Japanese storytelling in media has a unique magic and flair but at the same time, there's this 'Peter Pan'' effect where it makes games and media centred around teenagers.
- Even for a guy who prefers and loves linear games, this one was too linear. Yes, part 2 will probably allow you to explore the world and stuff, but this is still a complete game.
- If there was ever a case for edgy weeaboo storytelling, this game would be it. Yes, it's still the original story from the 90s, but still.

My GOTY contenders are TLOU2, FF7R and Ghosts of Tsushima. Personally, I think the winner is going to come down to preference as all these games are masterpieces in their own way.

I disagree it tried to do that stuff in an a-sexual way. The honeybee inn is a good part that disproves that, IMO.
But, the FF7 cast isn't really centered around teenagers: Aerith - 22, Tifa - 20, Sephiroth - 27, Zack - 23, Cloud - 21, Barret - 35, Cid - 32, vincent - 57, Yuffie is the only teenager at 16. And she isn't yet in the remake. TBH, midgar even in the original is pretty linear, it's not until after midgar where it gets less so, and FF7r isn't even complete yet, they'll be adding to it in installments - they haven't decided if they will sell it in parts equal to this size until it's complete or just keep adding big chunks to our currently owned game - but it isn't complete yet, that is something they themselves have stated (and why I think it didn't win game of the year).
I'd argue it's not weeaboo storytelling. It's a typical fantasy element story with some sci-fi elements mixed in, IMO. In the remake they added a lot of Japanese signs on shops and stuff, but they also had English signs and stuff too.

For me, it was FF7r, Ghost of Tsushima, and Hades. FF7r was def #1, Ghost and Hades tied for 2nd. Ghost was great, but the gameplay got a bit boring and repetitive if you played it for too long, Hades was great, but the final boss is overtuned, so the difficulty gets annoying after a while.

For me, the LGBT+ elements in LOU2 felt forced and not natural. The romantic moments between Elle and the lady I can't even remember the name of, were poorly timed at the beginning; then the trans kid. That kid wanted to join the fighting side of their cult, it didn't even feel like a trans issue, but they forced it into one; Then they make you play as the lady that the kid was with. I didn't care for her, and after playing as her, I still didn't care about her. <- the story is literally trying to force emotions and stuff onto us, the viewer; at least, that is how I felt after playing it.
There were more issues I had with the story elements of this game, but those are probably my biggest issues.

There were things about LOU2 that I liked, but the game overall was terrible. FF7r is no means perfect but, it was still very enjoyable, the music was amazing, the visuals really raised the bar for AAA titles going forward, the attention to details was crazy good, voice acting was spot on, gameplay was a good mix of old and new; and it was great to see more of midgar, and to think, we haven't even seen all of it yet, we get to go back later in the game, and should get to see more.

But for me, I'm a snob when it comes to games, especially with series that I like. :p

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #1088 on: Today at 08:50:09 pm »
Nakey Jakey is one of my favourite gamer youtubers, and i noticed he had a new video on TLOU1 v TLOU2 and why he didn't like the second game

even though i (surprisingly, for once) don't really agree with him, i understand why other people might not like the game as much as i did

anyway, great video. he's a really good youtuber. i think his best one is on Red Dead 2 (which he references at one point too in this vid)

if you have an hour to spare and played both games, take a look. highly recommended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYMH-lp4oM
« Last Edit: Today at 08:51:54 pm by oglop »