Read 5966 times

• Morfee
  • Super Waygook

• August 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
    • Gangwon-Do
Re: Saying "No" to a Wave of Food
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 10:50:36 am »
Lots of wild cats out there. Leave it on the ground outside. It will be gone the next day.

Bit harsh, they prefer the term 'ajjumas'

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 03:03:02 pm »
For the rice-cakes, I usually take them and throw them out when I can. But for anything else that I don't really want or just don't want to finish, I give it to my students. THEY WILL LOVE YOU.

What's funny is when the students had a cooking class and made me a whole plate of whatever it was. Usually it was really freaking good and I'd eat most of it, but if I wasn't hungry, I'd try to share it with some students, but the ones who gave it to me would snap and be like, "NO TEACHER ONLY" then to the other students, "야!! 바보 가!! 쌤 만!" I would just wait until they had to go back to class and share it then  :laugh:

I do love them for thinking of me every time they made something. Not always the same class either. Guess I also have the wonderful homeroom teachers to thank for that as well. Man I miss those days and that school.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• nabigirl
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2014, 09:01:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 03:08:05 pm »
Lots of wild cats out there. Leave it on the ground outside. It will be gone the next day.

Bit harsh, they prefer the term 'ajjumas'

This made my day...I almost choked on some gifted food because I laughed out loud.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 03:33:25 pm »
Man, I normally just eat anything they give me. Those nutty rice cakes are a bit of a chore but I just can't turn down free food. I draw the line at squid or octopus because they are repulsive to me but I can actually suffer through the others.

• toddsqui
  • Expert Waygook

• November 14, 2013, 02:53:30 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 07:56:35 pm »
Oh my god, you guys are ridiculous.  :P

In any case, thanks for chiming in with your experiences!

Oh Nivea, but I've already gained 15lbs in two months!!  If I keep eating like this, at the rate that I'm going, I will only be able to work in Korea and only at the school where I am working now. No other employers will take pity on my gluttonous soul, I can assure you. It's bad enough that I'm only 5'5"... but 5'5" and 160 lbs? Err...that's just pushing the envelope, man (and no offence, btw, to anyone on this board who is in a similar predicament!!). There's just no other way, man. It's war.

Gagevt - Thanks for contributing. I think I will try giving some treats away during during midterm week, despite how controversial giving away food appears to be with some people on this board and in the EFL community at large. Thanks again.
I created a small web course for newbie teachers on Udemy here.