Read 2712 times

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
Just a short rant... Especially since I forgot my earphones at home. >:(

Someone, at two of my schools, is insisting on blasting creepy kiddie music at obnoxious
volumes, through every PA system in the school... including all the classrooms and toilets!
It sounds like bloody DPRK propaganda music.

It's played before school, between periods and throughout lunchtime. I'm sure I'm not the only teacher who longs for a bit of quiet time, between and after the noise of classroom.

Seriously, just why?

Re: (RANT) What's with the school PA blasting these creepy songs?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 03:06:20 pm »
Welcome to Korea, where you can apparently make anything more exciting with VERY LOUD NOISES THAT NEVER STOP.

There is a Korean love of loudspeakers that isn't linited to just their Northern brethren 
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• slothboy
  • Waygookin

• July 10, 2014, 10:41:38 am
    • Changwon, Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:54:28 pm »
At one of my hagwons the boss insists that both classrooms (right opposite each other) blast out the listening/chant CDs before classes start, resulting in horrible clashes of tempos and chants etc. I guess she thinks that students will just pick up the language via osmosis.

There are some pretty funky house beats actually, all while some helium-pitched mouse voice chants "is this yours? Is this your dog? No, it isn't. No it isn't. Help me help me help me find my dog!" Sometimes I can't help grooving to them...

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:38:52 am »
i can't imagine this but it sounds hilarious. thanks for sharing  ;D

There are some pretty funky house beats actually, all while some helium-pitched mouse voice chants "is this yours? Is this your dog? No, it isn't. No it isn't. Help me help me help me find my dog!"

that's amazing.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 05:32:05 am »
Welcome to Korea, where you can apparently make anything more exciting with VERY LOUD NOISES THAT NEVER STOP.

There is a Korean love of loudspeakers that isn't linited to just their Northern brethren

I can understand loudspeakers in public places (even though it is obnoxious).  But the worst are LOUDSPEAKERS IN YOUR OWN HOME.  My apartment has a speaker that blasts some annoying "Please remember to recycle..." message every Monday night.  And on SATURDAY MORNING around 10:00am, it blasts a spam message reminding us about the great prices for fruit in the parking lot vendors (on Saturday, the parking lots turns into a little mini market as vendors set up their trucks).

Sometimes it feels like I am living in the novel 1984. 

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 10:26:01 am »

I can understand loudspeakers in public places (even though it is obnoxious).  But the worst are LOUDSPEAKERS IN YOUR OWN HOME.  My apartment has a speaker that blasts some annoying "Please remember to recycle..." message every Monday night.  And on SATURDAY MORNING around 10:00am, it blasts a spam message reminding us about the great prices for fruit in the parking lot vendors (on Saturday, the parking lots turns into a little mini market as vendors set up their trucks).

Sometimes it feels like I am living in the novel 1984.

Heh my first apartment in Korea had that, I eventually got tired of it and pulled it out and snipped the wires. Also in that town there were loudspeakers set up here and there in the town that maybe once a week would start blaring out an important message from the local government. Do they not realize that everyone here, including old people and children, have smartphones, that there are government/advertising banners all over the place in South Korea, and everyone has mail service?

I guess loudspeaker authoritarianism made sense in like 1955 when a lot of people maybe couldn't read and services were broken, but in 2015?
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 08:04:44 am »
You do realize that tampering with the emergency warning system is illegal?
I wish it was illegal to use it for non-emergency purposes, but letting everyone know there is a sale at the local market is important, too.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 08:06:51 am »
You do realize that tampering with the emergency warning system is illegal?
I wish it was illegal to use it for non-emergency purposes, but letting everyone know there is a sale at the local market is important, too.

It is nightmarish.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 08:09:47 am »
my public school was doing this on Friday.  It was like... the kids bop version of kpop songs.  very weird.