Read 2741 times

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
Hi...has anyone ever sent anything (ie: laptop) with batteries out of Korea? At the post office they're saying that they won't accept anything with batteries...is this a hard and fast rule, or can I just nod and smile, plead ignorance, and send it anyways without issues? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:04:15 am by Canonite »
*click*

Re: Mailing electronics WITH BATTERIES out of Korea...what's the deal?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:44:16 am »
I have never sent anything like this out of Korea.

Does it have a lithium battery?

Lithium batteries are considered dangerous goods and there are strict rules regarding their carriage by air (and possibly sea?) as cargo.   Quantity, packaging etc.  Back home I wanted to mail a mobile phone across the country.  I was told by the post office that the phone could not be carried by air and that it had to be carried as road cargo.

I would comply with exactly what the post office is telling you.

The link below may be of assistance.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/lithium-batteries.aspx
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:51:23 am by marshmellow man »
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 07:59:01 am »
I'm replying because this is news to me, and I need to send my laptop home too.

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• ROK
    more
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 08:05:21 am »
Thanks yeah, I'm aware of that...though even in the link you shared, it specifically says that this does NOT apply to batteries that are being shipped within related equipment. (Ie: a battery within a laptop). Anyhoo...I'll play it safe and remove the battery prior to shipping it home. :)
*click*

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:26:11 am »
The post office made a rule last May that they will no longer accept electronics such as laptops for international shipping. It's to do with the cost of replacing an electronic item of its like, that is easy to damage in transit.

They won't ship anything that is valued at more than $300 for international shipping when it comes to electronics.

From what I understand, it has something to do with too many false claims of damage, where the laptop was damaged before shipping, but has been claimed as damaged upon arrival and the post-office has had to pay out for replacement. Insurance costs just won't cover it.

I tried to ship my laptop home, which I told them was already broken and was going home to parts, but they refused to accept this and told me it was not possible to ship it anyway. No amount of pleading or playing foreigner worked on this. It was a hard no from my post-office.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• ROK
    more
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 09:37:41 am »
Rampant fraud in Korea? Say it ain't so!!!!

Thanks for the info! I might not disclose what it is, or try and tell them that they HAVE to accept it...from what I've heard, they can accept it, you just have to sign a waiver. Either way, it's ridiculous that in the 21st century, you can't ship a flipping laptop out of a country!!!
*click*

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 01:21:50 pm »
I had to ship my iphone back to Canada, using UPS since the post office wouldn't accept it because of the battery cost me about 100,000 won