Read 2461 times

• sweetkat
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
    • Korea
In class component
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:04:11 am »
I have been an ESL teacher here for 8 years.  Seven of them in EPIK.  And my current office of education did a really weird NET restructuring that leaves me out of a job in September.  So I have 100 hr online TESOL.  And i had enrolled in a course with an in class component in three weeks. But i just received an email saying they cancelled it.  A.  with my experience, is it necessary for me to acquire the in class component? B.  If so, does anyone know anywhere in Korea that offers it?

I am doing everything i can now to optimize the likelihood of getting another job.  i love teaching kids here, and if i had a choice i would stay at my same school.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
Re: In class component
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:15:59 am »
I don't think it will matter to much when looking for a job. It will matter though when they decide to pay you. I had to take the in class component when my education office suddenly decided it was important. I had been here for 4 years teaching at public schools. I would of dropped down two pay levels all because of this stupid crap. I went up to Seoul for a weekend and completed the course. Unfortunately I heard that the guys do not run the course anymore.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:38 am »
Some education offices require it now.
Korean Horizons offers a weekend course through i-to-i TEFL; is this the one that was cancelled? If not, try for that one.
Otherwise...weekend trip to Hong Kong for the same (i-to-i) course.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:39 am »
Yeah, expecting teachers to have actually had some practical training in teaching. crazy eh?

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:19:59 am »
Yeah, expecting teachers to have actually had some practical training in teaching. crazy eh?

I have been an ESL teacher here for 8 years. 

*drops mic*

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 10:58:09 am »

Quote from: eggieguffer on Today at 11:55:39 AM

Quote from: sweetkat on Today at 08:04:11 AM

I have been an ESL teacher here for 8 years. 

*drops mic*

You do know the difference between just doing a job and being trained to do a job properly right?
I used to train Korean teachers, some of whom had an MA in TESOL and a CELTA and had been in the job 20 years and they were still happy to learn new things about teaching in training sessions. Have a bit of humility. 

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:10:13 pm »
You do know the difference between just doing a job and being trained to do a job properly right?
I used to train Korean teachers, some of whom had an MA in TESOL and a CELTA and had been in the job 20 years and they were still happy to learn new things about teaching in training sessions. Have a bit of humility.

You do know the difference between being happy to learn new things and being required to have a physical component to your certification even after 8 years of real experience right?

Jesus, if you are this dense, you must have been a joy in the classroom.

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 02:01:01 pm »
Maybe you could use this one:

http://www.global-english.com/courses/already-tesol-trained/20-hour-tefl-teaching-practice

I think it uses your teaching experience for the in class part, but I have no idea if it is recognised by the education offices over here.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 02:28:45 pm »
You do know the difference between being happy to learn new things and being required to have a physical component to your certification even after 8 years of real experience right?

Jesus, if you are this dense, you must have been a joy in the classroom.

All teachers in proper teaching jobs are required to have done a course of practical training to get the job in the first place so I think it shows a certain degree of entitlement that you assume you can carry on in a job indefinitely without anyone making this a requirement. Some of the courses I mentioned before for Korean teachers were compulsory. By the way I reported you to the mods for an unwarranted personal attack. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:31:13 pm by eggieguffer »

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 02:32:13 pm »
By the way I reported you to the mods for an unwarranted personal attack.

This is rich considering your first comment in this thread was a shot at the OP.

lmao, just log out and save yourself the humiliation.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 02:49:53 pm »
Yikes. Don't be so sensitive.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 03:31:41 pm »
All teachers in proper teaching jobs are required to have done a course of practical training to get the job in the first place
There are lots of fully licensed teachers back home that worked for one year as a teacher in lieu of having an in-class portion student teaching, right? Or are you going to pull the "no true Scotsman" fallacy by saying that their jobs are all "not proper"?

Just saying...

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 05:40:13 pm »
There are lots of fully licensed teachers back home that worked for one year as a teacher in lieu of having an in-class portion student teaching, right? Or are you going to pull the "no true Scotsman" fallacy by saying that their jobs are all "not proper"?

Just saying...

I'm sure they get a lot of developmental observations while they're teaching.

This is rich considering your first comment in this thread was a shot at the OP.

It wasn't actually, it was a response to the guy who called the training 'stupid crap'. I don't think the tone of my remark was particularly ruder than his and it was a response to what he said not a personal attack on his character. 

Yikes. Don't be so sensitive.

Not sensitive at all, I could have responded in kind and called Hyoraengi names but I think most people who contribute to these forums would prefer to see people focusing on the issues being talked about rather than slagging off the people making points. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:02:23 pm by eggieguffer »

• sweetkat
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 04:57:10 pm »
I am sorry for the tone this forum took. 
I have no problem with gaining more training to get a position.  I was just frustrated because the session was cancelled and i had no idea where I was going to gain those requirements.  And i was just curious if they would take my tesol and my experience into consideration.

I really have no idea why people are so quick to judge and insult. 

Thank you to those who gave helpful opinions and advices and not personal jabs or statements about my state of mind.

I am not entitled. I am humbled by my job situation and want to do everything I can to acquire a new position, include improve my credentials.

Thank you very very much for the link glb0b.  Even if i can't use it, your advice was kind and helpful and addressed my concern.