Read 1429 times

Signed, sealed, delivered. Any chance of backing out?
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:37:57 am »
I recently signed a new contract with a different hagwon, but it's almost two months in advance. I filled out all of the required transfer and extension forms and sent it to the school.

My spidey senses started tingling recently and I'm not sure if I had made the right decision. It's not a bad contract and the director seems legit, but something seems off to me. Perhaps it's only good ol' doubt for no particular reason.

Would it be possible to apply for a different position, even though the other school has my documents and a signed contract?

I'll man up and stick to my decision if I have to. However, I would like to know if it would be possible to dodge a possible bullet.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:44:09 am by boertoer »

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Re: Signed, sealed, delivered. Any chance of backing out?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:32:53 am »
Does the new school have any ties to your visa? Did you go to immigration with them and sign forms?

You can look for a new job if your answer is no. If the school has any ties to your visa or you went to immigration then it could get hairy. You could have to leave Korea and either visa run to Japan or wait out the school for a letter of release or the duration of the contract.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:50 am »
Hi,

No, the school only has the forms to transfer and extend my visa, and a signed copy of the contract. I haven't gone anywhere with anyone. I'm still working at my current school, and have little more than a month left on my contract here.

Do I need to physically accompany my prospective employer to immigration in order for him/her to make it official? Or can they sign me up with only having those documents?

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:08 pm »
Hi,

No, the school only has the forms to transfer and extend my visa, and a signed copy of the contract. I haven't gone anywhere with anyone. I'm still working at my current school, and have little more than a month left on my contract here.

Do I need to physically accompany my prospective employer to immigration in order for him/her to make it official? Or can they sign me up with only having those documents?

Nope. You are free. They do not have you until you physically go to Immi to do the paperwork.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:05:52 am by cereal killer »

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:44:05 pm »
I recently signed a new contract with a different hagwon, but it's almost two months in advance. I filled out all of the required transfer and extension forms and sent it to the school.
There is no way that your new employer could have your visa transferred without your ARC and passport.

• Korea13
  • Super Waygook

• May 29, 2013, 08:36:18 am
    • korea
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:21:51 am »
Are your new employer going to get you back your document. Otherwise, you will have to collect new one again of get copy from immigration.