Read 19390 times

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
Filter Masks
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:55:36 am »
This past weekend I noticed quite a bit of pain in my nose. My wife told me it was due to the yellow dust. I really haven't cared to much about the pollution and air here. I live down south so it is not as bad as up north but after watching the documentary on the pollution in China and the pain after this weekend I have decided to look into getting a mask.

Any advice on masks? I am looking for disposable ones that I can use for a couple days. My wife wants to get me a heavy duty one that looks like I am going to use while spray painting some cars. I feel it is unnecessary so hoping to get some feedback on what other foreigners have been using while here. Also with summer coming if you have any recommendations on air ionizers? Just starting to research them but would love some insight.

Re: Filter Masks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:56:18 am »
Sometimes I wear a mask (cheap ones you get at the pharmacy) on the bus... I should wear it every time. I'm more concerned about contracting TB, especially when I'm sitting in a crowded bus, with all the windows closed and ajumas and ajoushis coughing their lungs all over the place.

• andymc88
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2014, 03:02:15 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:58:47 am »
Look here for comprehensive info:

http://aqicn.org/mask/

I also had some trouble with my throat and did some research.
Recently the yellow dust has ben really bad.. so I got a mask yesterday.

You should get the ones that cover PM 2.5 (the size of the particles) and the N95:

The "N95" label stands for the mask ability to filter out at least 95% of airborne particles larger than 0.3 microns (for reference, PM2.5 particules are 2.5 microns).

Just go to a pharmacist and there are lots of boxes; look at the box and choose PM 2.5 and N95. There are some N80s as well I saw but I would prefer to be safe (I wear the mask on days when air pollution score is over 100). You can get the asia air pollution app a well to check hourly data.
www.andysteachingst rategies.com - look here for refreshing teaching strategies and reflective practice.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 12:04:32 pm »
I'm not sure if this is true, but I read somewhere that those masks are only effective for about 20 minutes of wear and after that they're pretty much useless. I wonder if anyone else has heard this?

• austinv
  • Waygookin

• August 24, 2013, 06:02:46 am
    • Ontario
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 12:24:41 pm »
You want to make sure it is air tight otherwise it is useless.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 12:27:48 pm »
Anyone know how often you should change a mask?

One of my students wore the same mask for months.

• lianney
  • Super Waygook

• April 05, 2012, 09:12:45 am
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 12:29:00 pm »
What about for exercising outside? I go running often but have noticed the effects on my breathing already from the poor air quality this past weekend. These masks make it a bit harder to breathe and I bet it'll get stuffy and gross when I'm running.
http://www.liasian.wordpress.com Accounts of a Korean American adoptee

$10 off of orders $40 or more on iHerb.com Code: LST616 http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=LST616

Earn $25 when you book $50 or more at Booking.com : https://www.booking.com/s/34_6/9545870b

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 12:55:14 pm »
Look here for comprehensive info:

http://aqicn.org/mask/

I also had some trouble with my throat and did some research.
Recently the yellow dust has ben really bad.. so I got a mask yesterday.

You should get the ones that cover PM 2.5 (the size of the particles) and the N95:

The "N95" label stands for the mask ability to filter out at least 95% of airborne particles larger than 0.3 microns (for reference, PM2.5 particules are 2.5 microns).

Just go to a pharmacist and there are lots of boxes; look at the box and choose PM 2.5 and N95. There are some N80s as well I saw but I would prefer to be safe (I wear the mask on days when air pollution score is over 100). You can get the asia air pollution app a well to check hourly data.

The following link (all in Korean) shows the difference between the KF80 and KF94 masks. Scroll down to see the charts (you won't need to speak much korean for that).
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/Item/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=364409516

Basically KF94 masks are better than KF80 masks because they block smaller particles. I've been wearing KF80 masks for many years now as i didnt understand the distinction between the two. They cost me 1,500 won. I need to buy some KF94 masks for the rare days when PM 2.5 is also elevated (this weekend for example....PM2.5 was over 100!).

Look at the air pollution website linked above. If the forcast has a warning for 황사/"yellow sand" then a KF80 mask would suffice.
If the forcast mentions a PM 2.5 alert then you'd need a better mask (KF94).

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 01:05:39 pm »
Vogmask produce N99 masks locally for sale and use in China. They're pricey but apparently (gentle hand) washable for re-use. The main sales websites have absurd shipping, but they finally got back to me just this morning regarding local sales on Brandbook. My throat is absolutely raw after a weekend outdoors, so I'll be putting my order in tonight.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 02:18:32 pm »
My throat is absolutely raw after a weekend outdoors, so I'll be putting my order in tonight.

This weekend (21st22nd) was particularly (not pun intended on "particule") bad.

Rarely are PM 2.5 levels above 100 micrograms. It was this weekend.

PM 10 was above 200 micrograms.

Inspite of all that filth, many Koreans didn't wear masks. They are so complacent because they've been living under gray skies for so many years they don't see the madness for what it is.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 02:37:38 pm »
I came into work absolutely WRECKED after this weekend. My nose feels like fire when I breath and my throat is raw.

I was indoors all weekend too!

My god.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• Aqvm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2012, 06:55:24 am
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 02:38:53 pm »
Yeah, I took a road trip on Saturday and my throat felt pretty bad coming home. Gargling salt water helps a lot to ease the throat but I'm definitely going to start wearing a mask on days like that.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 02:42:45 pm »
Well it is good to know that I am not the only one. It is a stupid reason, but I always feel like the masks are silly looking. I think if it were more 'normal' back home then I would have been wearing them a while ago. Thanks for all the input and reinforcement that I won't be the only foreigner with a mask. Yes, I know it is an absolutely ridiculous excuse but it is true.

• Aqvm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2012, 06:55:24 am
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 02:49:24 pm »
If you've got an android phone there's an app called 'Asia Air Quality'. You can choose your city, even down to the neighborhood for bigger cities, and put a widget on your home screen that shows you the PM2.5 levels at all times. Pretty good to keep an eye on, if you don't find it too depressing (most days are below 50 though!)

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 03:27:08 pm »
Last week,minutes after I told my co-teacher the air quality was really bad that day,he opened up the windows as wide as they have ever been.
Do you want a 5-10 Dollar discount on your first purchase from iherb.com?Use this code KSZ711 when you make a purchase.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 03:36:52 pm »
If you've got an android phone there's an app called 'Asia Air Quality'. You can choose your city, even down to the neighborhood for bigger cities, and put a widget on your home screen that shows you the PM2.5 levels at all times. Pretty good to keep an eye on, if you don't find it too depressing (most days are below 50 though!)

I've had a lot of trouble with accessing any of the air quality data these past two weeks. The servers seem perpetually under stress. Last time I got any data was a week back and it was incredibly depressing.

What's surprising me is that my colleagues are calling it hwangsa. But... it's no longer yellowish.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• austinv
  • Waygookin

• August 24, 2013, 06:02:46 am
    • Ontario
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 04:24:10 pm »
Most days are above 50 and I am out in the country.

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 06:48:10 pm »
You can buy "vogmasks" on gmarket for 33,000 and about 5,000 postage.

I just picked up one because I'm in bits after this weekend and it's no harm to invest in some protection. They seem to be the best on the market, without getting industrial about it. They also look pretty nice.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 08:49:22 pm »

I just picked up one because I'm in bits after this weekend and it's no harm to invest in some protection. They seem to be the best on the market, without getting industrial about it. They also look pretty nice.

cheers mate, been wanting one of these but wasn't aware they were available to buy locally, thought you had to order them from overseas. gonna be picking myself one up to  8)

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 09:19:56 pm »

cheers mate, been wanting one of these but wasn't aware they were available to buy locally, thought you had to order them from overseas. gonna be picking myself one up to  8)

Do these things work?

from http://www.vogmask.com/pages/faq :

Will my vogmask prevent me from getting sick?

Wearing a vogmask keeps certain airborne particles out of your nose, mouth and lungs. Vogmask does not guarantee protecton from illness or any harmful substance.