Read 7604 times

My new co-teacher wants me to teach exactly 5 minutes of phonics to 5th and 6th grade students at the beginning of class. I did a quick assessment and almost exactly half of the kids know the basic letter sounds and half do not.

She seems to want me to teach letter combination sounds like "lo le lu" or "me mo ma" but I haven't been able to find anything online that teachers phonics in exactly that way. I'd ideally like to play games, but I doubt I can in 5 minutes.

I'm not sure where to begin, or what can reasonably be done in 5 minutes. I realize I am feeling way to overwhelmed about a 5 minute lesson.... so any suggestions would be awesome.

I taught a few phonics lessons to 1st and 2nd elementary students last semester, so we did a lot of starfall, basic sound worksheets, and played games where I said a word and they'd grab the letter magnet off the board. This all worked great, because I had plenty of time and the students were young.

Thank you for your help!!!!!

• smackle3
  • Adventurer

• October 23, 2013, 02:41:32 pm
    • Incheon
Re: Co wants 5 minute phonics lessons for 5th&6th graders? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:19:40 am »
Maybe you can show them the "Letter _ Song"s. Sorry I can't remember the exact name but if you search on youtube you will definitely find them.
Perhaps you can show them the Letter L Song video plus a vowel video, write down words on the board and go over them. As for a game, divide your class into groups. Have each group give you a word with the phonetic sound you just learned, give them like 10 seconds to think of one, if they can't the group is eliminated. Keep track of the words so teams don't repeat the same words. Keep going until only one group remains.

I hope that helped a little.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:40:00 am »
How about reading a couple of these stories as a group.

http://www.progressivephonics.com/phonics-books/intermediate-phonics-books

The students have to read the big words in read and you read the rest. Drill them first on the specific pronunciation, and then get them to read their words in a relay, so only one students speaks at once, and you can hear if they get it right, and you can also tell who is paying attention and who isn't.

• withmatt
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2013, 08:32:24 am
    • Guri
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:25:45 pm »
Alphablocks videos are pretty good and available on youtube.  They are 3-5 minutes long.  You could show them a 3 minute video and then practice with them.  In the video you get to hear each sound individually, and then put together.  So its good for students who don't know some letter sounds or who have trouble piecing them together. 

It also covers things like silent 'e,' the combination of 'ck,' etc.  But if you plan to do it all year, choose a letter of the week or something and do a set pattern for each week.  Like, first time you meet them watch a video and practice, then the second time review and play a short game/puzzle. 

• Sbriggz
  • Explorer

• February 27, 2014, 07:57:40 am
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:54:19 pm »
how about simple tongue twisters. Just make up a nonsense sentence with those letter sounds.
Like Three thick thistles think thoughts if you are doing th. Have them do it slow and then progressively faster. Have them compete against each other to see who can say it the best or the fastest and give them a prize. This way you don't have to think of a game each time

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 02:16:16 pm »
I second Withmatt's suggestion of the alphablock videos. I think they're the best phonics videos out there.

You won't find much information out there about the combinations your CT suggests because most phonics sites concentrate on standard combinations (br, fl, th, ch, etc.). I'd make sure the kids know the vowel sounds, then choose 3 consonants and do sound-drilling: d+a = da, d+e = de, d+i=di, d+o=do, d+u= du, etc. making sure to say there are exceptions (dolch words) and then reversing it so the vowels are first and the consonants are last: a+t= at, e+t=et. I'd also teach the regular combinations, slowly building up to show students how to sound out words. c+a+t, ch+at

I know that drilling isn't popular but if you use it briefly, and regularly and build on each lesson it does work.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 02:42:56 pm »
Some good activities would be the fly swatter game and pass the ball.

fThe ly swatter game is easy with little to no prep. Just review the target sounds and words. Write the target sounds on the board. Split them into two groups. Have one student from each group come to the board at a time and say a word. They have to swat the correct sound. Correct group gets a point.

Pass the ball is easy, but requires a bit more prep. Just paste the vocabulary into the slides. WHen the music stop kids holding the ball says the word, sound, etc.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 03:09:41 pm »
Hi

I have taught grades 1-3 in New Zealand using the Jolly Phonics system (created and used in the UK).  (There is also a version of the book with translations in Korean for the teachers - I'm not sure where but I saw it several years ago somewhere in Seoul).  The Jolly Phonics system goes beyond the sounds for the 26 letters of the alphabet.

Additional letter combination and sounds include ai, oa, ie, ee, ue, (rule - when two vowels are together the first one says its letter name), or, ng, oo, (eg book), oo (eg school/pool), ch, sh, th, qu, ou (eg ouch), oi (eg boil),  er, ar

The above sounds are in book 1 (usually first year at school)
The second grade book reviews some of them and adds more eg magic e (a_e, i_e, o_e, u_e), wh, ay, ee (long e sound again), igh, y (long i sound eg my fry), ow (cow and yellow - 2 different sounds introduced separately), er/ir/ur  and some more but these are probably plenty.

Teaching these letter combinations and the sounds for them would probably be a lot more useful than teaching ma, me, mi, mo, mu which are just standard regular combinations.

How to teach them?  Well that's another story.  Five minutes is quite short!

I have taught them in afterschool classes and am doing some bits in the grade 4 (and later grade 3) classes.

I do a short chant with them
eg
a, i, a, i, - ai, ai, ai
a, i, a, i, - ai, ai, ai
a, i, a, i, - ai, ai, ai
a and i together - ai

(see attached the ppt I made and used for my afterschool class last year)

You could then ask if they can come up with some more words using the sound of the day.  Either as a whole class activity - or in a small group activity and give points for each correct word - maybe a bonus point if no other group has the word (to keep the noise level down).

Maybe a short dictation using that sound (make sure the words are regular apart from that sound (or one you have previously learnt))

If you can - try to use sounds that will come up in that lesson/period in the vocabulary you are using.

Our school has mini whiteboards which could be used from time to time - especially for the 'dictation' sessions.  I would just do one word - then have all boards up and give the spelling.  Students can award themselves a point (on the board) for each correct word.

Good luck. 

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 03:34:31 pm »
5th and 6th graders might like these alphabet songs:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBADD94CE3A9304E0
Does your wife submit to you?

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 02:45:01 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions everyone... I agree the alphablocks videos are great, I just wasn't sure if 5th and 6th graders were too cool for them.

I also agree that teaching mi mo le la etc. etc. isn't the most productive way of teaching phonics, nor is 5 minutes enough time...I feel like if I was teaching alone in an after school class this would actually be much easier! I tried drilling with some basic flashcard sounds last class, which they actually didn't seem to mind too much. They thought it was funny to pronounce all the sounds one letter makes in a row. But she was visibly frustrated that I chose to do that. ahh.

I forgot to mention, I see these kids once a week... wooof.

• nadinea
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2014, 08:16:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 03:05:04 pm »
Yeah.  I think alphablocks are awesome.  As well Jolly phonics is good from what I've seen.  I also see that Genki English has some phonic stories.  They are short so maybe you could read them.  Although you generally have to pay for Genki English stuff.

• Makino
  • Super Waygook

• December 24, 2012, 02:10:09 pm
    • Namyangju-Si, Gyeonggi-Do
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:12:32 am »
I would start with vowels too.
Use the videos I've attached, they go over long and short vowels.
Then make two columns on the board, long A and short A for example.
Get the kids to raise their hands and suggest an A word, then get the class to tell you if it belongs on the long or short list.
Once you have a decent amount, get the kids to repeat the list with you.
That should take 5 mins and they like helping to make the word list too!

• Jhedjuka
  • Adventurer

• July 21, 2011, 09:44:30 am
    • Donong-dong, Namyangju-si, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 12:54:14 pm »
Aside from the chant idea above I'd usually do 6 words on the board focusing on 2 similar, but distinct phonics.

Eg: short a and long a+silent e

hat     hate
sam    same
van    vane

Go across first (hat/hate), etc. Students repeat.

Then do a combination of 3. Students repeat again.

Lastly get students to say the words as you point to them with gradually accelerating speed.

Then spell some other words with similar phonics and done.

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 01:24:59 pm »
I used www.starfall.com for my students for phonics lessons. I worked through the alphabet with them, had them work on computers on their own if we had time, for review purposes, and then once they mastered the pronunciation of the letters individually, we started on the learn to read section of the site, where they were asked to do a game activity first to practice pronunciation and learn 4 new words, and then as a class we would read the story, and when they weren't sure of pronunciation, we would click on the word and hear the individual sounds of the letters and then put them together, meaning that they were learning how to put sounds together to make words too.

This website is great, as the students can review at home as well, as most will have access to a computer at home, even in rural areas these days. If they can work on this at home too, their phonics pronunciation will improve in no time.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 11:02:30 am »
I play this for my students.  Grade 5 and 6 like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTLNuttDid0&list=PLA4982B845E5D8DF0

If you have more time, I play a racing game.  I lay out the alphabet on a table.  Two students line up at the opposite side of the class.  I make a sound, students run, and get the word I was saying.  I would say "a" as "apple", "n" as "no", and etc.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 02:11:59 pm »
I'll also second those above and say try to weasel out of teaching ma/me/mu/me/mo (unless you're dealing with c/g) not because its boring but because it could be kinda misleading. Without a final consonant, you won't be teaching short vowels. You want the kids focussing on // in cat, not 아 in 아리랑. Stick to CVC patterns first.

Drilling is fine and well, but I'd see if you can't squeeze some concept checking and production into those five minutes. The way the textbooks used to do it was by always covering sounds in pairs and having the students categorise a bunch of extra words by sound; don't know why some books cut that.

If you can get the kids to spin their chairs back to back with a neighbour and do a mini dictation they'll be able to test themselves. I'm not talking sentences here, just a few three letter (four or five once you start covering digraphs) words utilising sounds you've covered including words they don't know. Forces them to sound things out instead of over-relying on sight reading. Students read them to their partner, partner listens and writes. You can throw the words up on a PPT with one student facing the back, or hand out cards. Whatever works. After they swap roles. Finally they swap cards or turn to the front and check their answers.

If you have some spare time every unit or two, there's an entire thread around here chokkas with lengthier phonics activities you can use for revision.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:15:17 pm by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• janet1992
  • Super Waygook

• July 24, 2013, 06:36:44 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 02:18:33 pm »
I did this: http://mrsbaiasclassroom.blogspot.kr/2015/03/first-week-back-abcs-phonics-and.html

You should youtube a phonics song, there's one that's really good (see link)

and I also use a lot of phonic worksheets from Twinkl.com

• tbsa
  • Explorer

• February 27, 2018, 07:10:03 am
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 01:08:25 pm »

If you have more time, I play a racing game.  I lay out the alphabet on a table.  Two students line up at the opposite side of the class.  I make a sound, students run, and get the word I was saying.  I would say "a" as "apple", "n" as "no", and etc.

You play the 5 pillars of Islam to your students?

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 01:16:58 pm »

You play the 5 pillars of Islam to your students?
1) The post is from over 4 years ago.
2) I'm guessing the person pasted in the wrong video.

On a real note:
For 6th graders, when I was asked to do two lessons on phonics, I did one with word pairs that differed only in one sound (like: right and light).

With the other, I did words that had the same sound (all words ending in -ck).

I would've done more of them, but we were then back to our regular lessons...