Read 1534 times

• Amerz100
  • Adventurer

• October 10, 2010, 12:41:11 pm
    • Mokpo-si, Jeollanam-do
can someone help please?
« on: March 15, 2015, 12:38:39 pm »
I'm going back to London after 5 years of teaching and I want to apply for a job in IT/Marketing & Comms .. focussed on Digital amrketing.

I spoke to a few recruiters in the UK. One of them advised me to have 2 resumes or CVs. One that highlights my teaching experience and another that is purely technically focussed.

On there, as part of my experience I have the following:

Freelancing                                                                            July 2012 -  Present
Business English Tutor
Corporate clients

Provide tutoring services to employees of corporate companies including LG, Samsung ,Louis Vuitton, and Goldman Sachs. Services include conversations in business, interaction with foreign clients, presentations, marketing and IT. The classes are specifically tailored to the needs and wants of the client.

I was thinking of changing Business English Tutor to consultant ...as that's what essentially I've been doing. I have't been teaching anything new. Work basically involved helping clients with foreign relations.

Can I say Communications Consultant? Please help in tuning up my this part of my resume. I can't just simply put consultant.

Any ideas? anyone?
Amerz

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: can someone help please?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 01:03:03 pm »
"Communications consultants develop and write content for internal and public media communications including Internet, video, print, and email. Consultants may also create strategies to strengthen communication between employees and with clients. "

"Communications consultants may be hired to do a number of different tasks. Consultants may be employed to complete a specific project such as new website or annual report. They may also work on a more comprehensive project, such as branding, medial analysis and communications audits. Branding is a process a company or organization undertakes to define who they are; media analysis is a thorough review of how an organization or company is portrayed in the media; and a communications audit is a complete evaluation of a company's communications materials and their effectiveness."

" May assist an individual or organization develop a branding strategy
May conduct a media analysis in order to understand how the client is portrayed in the media
Provide client with a work calendar which details project deadlines
Prepare and deliver reports based on findings of any research undertaken
Work with communications and marketing personnel of client organization
Provide client with advice and recommendations pertaining to short or long term communications strategies"

Does any of this describe what you did as a tutor?
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• Amerz100
  • Adventurer

• Mokpo-si, Jeollanam-do
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:30:03 pm »
Hi

Sorry I know its been 3 years, but I've now just returned to Korea.

..and literally I've just checked this message.

Well my clients mainly needed help with correspondence in most cases. A lot of the time I was helping them with conveying communication in the right context of what they wanted to say - either in the form of a presentation - like assist them in a presentation they had to give - be it end of fiscal year sales reports and figures and objectives for the following year. Any new market they were looking to enter or assist with ongoing foreign partner communications. Also with publishing any marketing material or communications for new products and services.

It also included providing assistance in helping form partnerships abroad and looking at acquiring investment to operate in foreign markets. There was one project I worked on which involved building a website aimed at a western audience. I worked with a CEO of a startup company which involved providing recommendations on strategies to employ on entering the UK and European markets.

Alot of my clients were working in the marketing departments.

Amerz

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:47:02 am »
Hi

Sorry I know its been 3 years, but I've now just returned to Korea.

..and literally I've just checked this message.

Well my clients mainly needed help with correspondence in most cases. A lot of the time I was helping them with conveying communication in the right context of what they wanted to say - either in the form of a presentation - like assist them in a presentation they had to give - be it end of fiscal year sales reports and figures and objectives for the following year. Any new market they were looking to enter or assist with ongoing foreign partner communications. Also with publishing any marketing material or communications for new products and services.

It also included providing assistance in helping form partnerships abroad and looking at acquiring investment to operate in foreign markets. There was one project I worked on which involved building a website aimed at a western audience. I worked with a CEO of a startup company which involved providing recommendations on strategies to employ on entering the UK and European markets.

Alot of my clients were working in the marketing departments.

Going to totally derail the thread but what's brought you back?

Obviously if it's personal don't worry about it  ;D I'm just wondering if it was difficult to settle in back home. I'll be moving back soon after 4 years here and so far I know of two other Brits that have left and then come back and I'm always curious as to why.

• Amerz100
  • Adventurer

• Mokpo-si, Jeollanam-do
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:03:10 pm »
A number of things have bought me back.

I need to get my private medical treatments done. Private medical care in the UK costs an arm and a leg.  So I'm getting those treatments sorted out here.

Also I need to get my adobe certificates. There are courses available online but they land on certain days, so if one of those days is not a vacation day I can't take the course. Having said that I am currently acquiring my Google Analytics certificates. This is to ensure that I am certified before I go back. I might have a couple of opportunities to work on Web Analysis projects while I'm here. So I'll have that on my portfolio/CV when I return back to the UK.

I got laid off a couple of times and worked on contracts mainly to build that experience up. I've worked with Samsung and Disney. I've got web analysis experience using Adobe Analytics - I just don't have the certificates. I realized after a dozen interviews that I need to do a course and get certified. The other skill and experience I've got is teaching. I can teach and earn money while I'm doing what I need to do.

It was too early for me to go back. I was hoping to get these certificates through a company but after waiting for so long I just decided to come back. My last contract was with Disney and that was last year in August. Contracting pays well but its the gaps in between the contracts that can be a killer - and they can vary.

So if you don't plan to stay in teaching when you go back, it might be worthwhile investing in a course and getting certified. It'll be hard otherwise to transition. Unless you want to work as a secretary or do some office/admin work.
Amerz