Read 1120 times

• Unknown
  • Newgookin

• October 24, 2014, 06:50:59 am
    • Ohio
Changing jobs with an E-2 Visa
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:44:32 pm »
I am currently teaching in budang and I have been here since February 18th. I just received my first "training pay" today which totaled about 300$ I am expected to survive on that till April 10th when I get my first real check.   

I signed a contract working 9:30-6:30 for 2.2m Won which I was ok with. I was told I had to ride the bus and when I asked about it they said 10-15 mins before school. When I got here I was told to ride the bus at 9:05 which was fine since its about a 20 min walk to my school. Well on friday last week they told me I will have to ride the bus at 8:20 so I am now working 8:20-6:30+the 25 min walk home. When My coworkers and myself asked if we were getting paid extra since the bus duty was not in our contract they said no we are not.

This along with a few other things have given me reason to start looking for work else where. How can I go about switching jobs and maintaining my visa.   If I lose a check to pay w/e my contract says so be it, I just want to make sure all my visa stuff is legal.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
Re: Changing jobs with an E-2 Visa
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:33:53 am »
Sounds like you are working for a shitty hawgwon.

They can not make you ride the bus before your contractual work hours start.

They are bullying. Now, as soon as you say you are going to walk to school, and start work at 930, they are going to throw a tantrum... and say you have to, but you don't.

Training pay is also bullshit. You should have checked that before you signed a contract etc. but, it's too late for that now.

Try and find a new job. However, it's going to be harder than you think.

Your school will stop at nothing to keep you there with threats, and or will do everything to slander you and make it difficult for you to find a new job.

One step at a time.

Don't ride the bus, and just come to work at 9:30, tell them, see what happens.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• baphomet
  • Veteran

• August 01, 2014, 12:19:06 pm
    • Gunpo
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:20:57 pm »
I am currently teaching in budang and I have been here since February 18th. I just received my first "training pay" today which totaled about 300$ I am expected to survive on that till April 10th when I get my first real check.   

I signed a contract working 9:30-6:30 for 2.2m Won which I was ok with. I was told I had to ride the bus and when I asked about it they said 10-15 mins before school. When I got here I was told to ride the bus at 9:05 which was fine since its about a 20 min walk to my school. Well on friday last week they told me I will have to ride the bus at 8:20 so I am now working 8:20-6:30+the 25 min walk home. When My coworkers and myself asked if we were getting paid extra since the bus duty was not in our contract they said no we are not.

This along with a few other things have given me reason to start looking for work else where. How can I go about switching jobs and maintaining my visa.   If I lose a check to pay w/e my contract says so be it, I just want to make sure all my visa stuff is legal.

Yo!  You working in a junk hog won I think.  You need to get up out a their.  Tell that fool directer to walk on by.  Feel me?  Aks the immigration department about changing job.  They speak english.  Number is on their website feel me?  get it touch, aks them about changing job.  Church

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 03:13:07 pm »
The ONLY way to switch jobs on an E-2 is to gather all the documents again, and re-enter the country.  This is assuming the hagwon will not provide a letter of release (LOR) which will given you the freedom to change jobs.

As another poster said, if you stick to the contract, the hagwon cannot legally do anything about it.  Make slight threats about going to the labor (labour) board or tell them now about any problems.  Chances are they will not change their ways if there are other employees not fighting back.  However, it's a chance to get a LOR or to change their views. 

TL:DR, if it is not in the contract, don't do it.  If the hagwon doesn't go bankrupt, you will get your money eventually.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:23:09 pm »
Most likely they will not give you a letter of release (LOR).

If this happens, and they fire you.. KEEP GOING INTO WORK!

Sometimes they will play a trick where they tell you not to come, then later lie about how you weren't coming to work, and then get rid of you because of it....

If it comes down to it, you can also go the D-10 Route.

However, you will have to get the school to admit to immigration that fired you, effectively negating the need for an LOR.

However, it's hard to do, and since you haven't been in Korea very long, immigration might not think you have the means necessary to fulfill D-10 requirements.

So, like the above said, the most likely way to change, is to do a visa run and re-gather all your paperwork.

Whatever you do, keep going into to work. Most likely they will throw a tantrum, but after a week, they won't care. It's Korean style to puff hot air and throw tantrums when you don't get your way...
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.