Read 11648 times

• artsl
  • Waygookin

• April 29, 2011, 10:33:07 am
    • s.korea
Korean customs number. Help, please!
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:03:28 pm »
Until today, whenever goods were  ordered from outside South Korea, I would receive an email from e-parcel requesting customs 13 digit number. No biggies, the Alien Registration number worked. But not today- obviously they want another 13 digit number. Help! What should I do? How are you, fellow expats,  dealing with this  annoying nonsense? Thanks for any info.

Re: Korean customs number. Help, please!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:40:04 am »
I had a similar issue with iHerb and had to get a special number (the link was on their website). Of course, the entire process is done in Korean so I had to get help from co-teachers to get it done. It was incredibly frustrating to say the least. I personally don't think the orders come much faster but I think it's just a measure to keep people from importing too many goods.
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”
-- Bernard Baruch (also attributed to Dr. Seuss )

------

• artsl
  • Waygookin

• s.korea
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 05:53:04 am »
Thanks for your reply.
I tried the same approach yesterday- Korean co- teacher helping, calling the number provided, etc. To no avail- my co-teacher came to a 'Solomon-like' conclusion: It can't be done for the foreigners. The reason- system only recognizes Korean characters when typed in. Lucky me. Seems like, my desired goods won't be leaving the States.

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:02:44 am »
You absolutely can do this with the help of your CT, it will only take around 10 minutes to get your new 13 digit code that is now required, which is called a PCC (Personal Customs Code).

Go here to see what iherb says about it - http://kr.iherb.com/info/personal-Customs-Code

Or if you just want to get started on obtaining the code go the following site.

http://portal.customs.go.kr

You'll have to register first - Good luck with it!

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:08:28 am »
Did you use your passport number? Non-Koreans don't actually need the pin number so long as you give them your passport number. If you are American, you have to start with the three letters FUS followed by the passport number

FUS012345678 - like that

• artsl
  • Waygookin

• s.korea
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 04:34:20 pm »
Thanks.
In the past, my passport or Alien Registration Card number would work. Once again, since yesterday that's not the case anymore.
Will try to register with/by another co-teacher. Thanks all!

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:07:55 am »
I got an e-mail earlier today saying that foreigners no longer need to get a PCC. Just the passport number will do. Apparently they've had hell with a lot of foreigners ordering overseas goods.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »
Has anyone actually had success with this?  I finally got around to registering for that number.  It's one letter and many digits?  13?  Anyways, I put it in when having it shipped here and now it's getting held up and not recognized.  What's the point of getting a pin if it's not going to be recognized?  Is this deliberate BS from customs? 

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 03:02:34 pm »
So, I guess what I'm asking is:

has anyone sucessfully ordered with that Customs ID Number?

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 03:17:23 pm »
I made the number and it didn't work. I called and gave them my passport number and there was no issue after that.

So.... it seems incredibly hit or miss. I know one friend that used it without issue, although he is married to a Korean woman and on that visa (F-6, I think) so maybe that has some effect on it.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 06:08:19 pm »
From my experience, your passport number and/or arc number is sufficient enough to replace the standard custom number.

This is one of the few times system computers not being able to handle foreigner names is an advantage.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 03:00:03 pm »
I am new here and just tried to order some things through Amazon. It specifically asks for the PCC number. I tried the FUSxxxxxxxxxx (passport number included) and my ARC and it didn't work. So is this an ongoing issue?

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 03:21:48 pm »
You have to type the name in exactly as it's on your alien id card and / or how it was entered on the website when you registered for your customs id.  My co teacher got a text as I gave her number last year and my P - whatever number with the name either as it's exactly listed on my alien id card or with the way i listed it on the site, I can't rememebr. 

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 10:01:51 am »
What an absolute pain.

The drop-down menu for entering your address is not even alphabetical. Really?!!

One site timed out twice. All I wanted was a CD, which I would have downloaded. But i-Tunes does not allow downloads to Korea because of  ... cunning!

The other site (yes, there are multiple ways this problem can occur, guess it depends on the shipper) tried to download some software. That timed out.

Seems like Korea just keeps adding more filler to the shitsandwich while providing less bread.

Finally went through (maybe). And yet I get other packages come through K-Customs fine. Seems so arbitrary. And annoying. Did I mention annoying?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 10:12:01 am »
All I wanted was a CD, which I would have downloaded. But i-Tunes does not allow downloads to Korea because of  ... cunning!

VPN is your friend.

• its2uraps
  • Explorer

• December 19, 2019, 10:38:50 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 01:31:55 pm »
If you want tips with dealing with Korean customs, check out this link:

https://www.gowonderfully.com/post/a-foreigner-s-guide-to-dealing-with-korean-customs-when-shipping

The service can help with customs issues too.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 08:07:21 pm »
Seems like Korea just keeps adding more filler to the shitsandwich while providing less bread

THAT, is Korea...trying to keep everyone miserable, for no good reason.

• its2uraps
  • Explorer

• December 19, 2019, 10:38:50 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 07:22:02 pm »
Hi. If you need help with customs issues, I would suggest checking out this article and service.

https://www.gowonderfully.com/post/a-foreigner-s-guide-to-dealing-with-korean-customs-when-shipping