Read 1832 times

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

• September 27, 2011, 01:01:39 pm
    • Gyeongsanbuk-do, South Korea
    more
Applying straight to schools
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:55:33 pm »
Has anyone had experience applying straight to a school in Korea? Pros and cons? worth it? Likely to happen? I was thinking of applying directly to a high school if I can since EPIK took out all(or most) high school teachers. If theres talk of them bringing them back please do tell me that but was considering this option too. Would I be like the regular Korean teachers?

• phoebe100
  • Super Waygook

• November 08, 2011, 01:15:36 pm
Re: Applying straight to schools
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:40:15 pm »

If you apply to and accept a job directly with a high school (or any public school) you'll likely still be on the standard regular NET contract for that area with "education office" switched out for the high school name as the employer, same benefits and what not. The only difference I've found is things are more relaxed with regards to deskwarming and such but, as with everything here, it depends on each individual school and principal.

In my experience it's not different except that you are employed solely at that one school and the education office can't move you around or do what they want with you willy nilly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "would I be like the regular Korean teachers?" but whatever you mean the answer is no.   ;D

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:51:17 pm »

If you apply to and accept a job directly with a high school (or any public school) you'll likely still be on the standard regular NET contract for that area with "education office" switched out for the high school name as the employer, same benefits and what not. The only difference I've found is things are more relaxed with regards to deskwarming and such but, as with everything here, it depends on each individual school and principal.

In my experience it's not different except that you are employed solely at that one school and the education office can't move you around or do what they want with you willy nilly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "would I be like the regular Korean teachers?" but whatever you mean the answer is no.   ;D

I think a Korean teachers contract is different than a NETs, and they have a lot more stuff to deal with.

This is my old school that used to be EPIK that I was thinking about applying back to. Do they basically just need the funds for it or the approval of the POE orr???   

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:57:24 pm »
If the school has the money, nobody can stop them from hiring you if they want to.

I know of some Gyeonggi-do NETs whose schools raised funds from the parents and community in order to keep the NET at the school.

I guess most schools however, are unable to do this.

• phoebe100
  • Super Waygook

• November 08, 2011, 01:15:36 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:55:14 am »

It's simply about funds. My position is at a private school so they pay for me out of their own school pocket, I know other schools where the government cut the funding for the NET teacher but the school decided to allocate budget money themselves to it, or parents fund them. Just contact the school and you'll find out. Regardless of where the money comes from though you still won't be like the regular Korena teachers in any way. It'll still be a temporary yearly contract with the same conditions as any other publicly funded position.

• JPinegar
  • Adventurer

• September 03, 2014, 10:02:02 pm
    • Suncheon
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 06:41:23 pm »
Would I be like the regular Korean teachers?

Why would you want to be like the regular Korean teachers?  There's no real benefit to it other than a couple more million a month at best.  You can try but you'll definitely be a tough sell especially if you can't even communicate basic Korean.   

Why don't you just go be a real high school teacher in your home country where you could probably get more satisfaction out of really being able to teach?

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

more
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 07:39:25 am »
Would I be like the regular Korean teachers?

Why would you want to be like the regular Korean teachers?  There's no real benefit to it other than a couple more million a month at best.  You can try but you'll definitely be a tough sell especially if you can't even communicate basic Korean.   

Why don't you just go be a real high school teacher in your home country where you could probably get more satisfaction out of really being able to teach?

I don't want to be like Korean teachers, it was just a question.

I am still paying off student loans so am going home, or back to school to be a teacher any time soon. That would require me to do a lot more school which I cannot pay for at the moment. But far of future plans maybe.  I got a lot of satisfaction out of teaching at my old school. The boys were funny, and a pleasure to teach. The teachers were really welcoming too! :)