Read 2057 times

Public school renewal interviews?
« on: March 06, 2015, 12:39:07 pm »
Public school renewal interviews? I've just heard these will be tougher than before as they want to downsize teachers.  Have any of you gone through these for March or spring 2015 renewal already?  You do it with your POE or local ed office or the officials come to your school?  It states they wil be tougher than before.  I'd like to know for sure what to expect if any of you have gone through these. 

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
Re: Public school renewal interviews?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:44:43 pm »
Never had a 'renewal' interview.  Usually my year ends with 'do you want to renew' or 'sorry, but out budget is no more'. 

Do they actually hold renewal interviews in some provinces?

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:20:48 pm »
I had a peek at last years suggested interview questions, maybe the same this year?

1.  What is the reason for the renewal?
2.  Speak the difficult and good points of teaching <school name> school children.
3.  Is there any difficulty in relationship with other teachers?
4.  Speak of the impressive things about living in korea
5.  What is your goal for teaching <school name> school children next year?

I should point out, I never actually had an interview, they just showed me the questions and said "congratulations on passing the interview".

What they did do is make all my coteachers give like a review of my performance over the year, they used that to make the decision, which is obviously more useful and logical than an interview.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:38:55 pm by jwharrison30 »

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 01:31:24 pm »
Renewal "interviews" seems like a waste of time imo. Your school already knows you, they should know if they want you to stick around or not.

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 01:49:35 pm »
I was told the POE was going to interview us, but it never happened.

My school did a loose interview, which was basically just my co-teachers asking me questions in front of my vice principal, who didn't understand anything at all. I feel like it was all just a formality.

My questions were:
What is your greatest accomplish as a teacher?
What are your weaknesses as a teacher?
Have you had any troublesome students? What did you do in those situations?
How do you think you've improved?

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 03:20:04 pm »
Just signed my 5th contract with the same school, I've never heard of this renewal interview thing.

I would think that their mind is made up well before any interview takes place, so if the interview does happen, and it's really tough, your school is probably not happy with your efforts.

That would be my guess anyway.
Hail Caesar

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 03:24:57 pm »
I've had to go through 3 person interviews with the POE for the past 3 years at least and they were asking a variety of questions.  Questions were mediocre but not claim they are getting tougher and more stringent based on cutbacks to spending. 

• baphomet
  • Veteran

• August 01, 2014, 12:19:06 pm
    • Gunpo
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »
I aint have a review interview or nothin.  They be like "T, you want to renew"  and I was like "yup"

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 05:15:48 pm »
The school board relocated me to my current school in the middle of my previous contract, so I had to renew with my curretn school as of October 2014. If they ask me these questions I will be very positive, but if there's no point in them asking me these questions, they will ask me if I want to renew. I will say yes, because you know something, I love my job.