Read 4261 times

• jogolo
  • Waygookin

• May 12, 2012, 01:20:56 am
    • paju city
Advice Needed: school overcharging me.
« on: March 06, 2015, 11:05:11 am »
I just started working in a very small school in a remote village in Paju, my school did not provide me with anything as per my accommodation except 400,000 monthly rent. I found my own housing, paid my own 5mil deposit, and furnished it myself, and now co-teacher said she has to deduct the 900,000 won housing security deposit from my salary according to the GEPK contract. The school does not even know where I stay or have anything to do with my housing. I just told her NO, but she insist it's the law.
 Please advice, am I doing something wrong here?   

Re: Advice Needed: school overcharging me.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 11:13:24 am »
That's a battle you may not win, don't worry though, if you pay the security deposit make sure to get it in writing that you get that deposit back when you leave.  Since you're paying the school doesn't get the money back when you leave the apartment.  It's like a forced savings plan.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 11:15:55 am »
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I'm sure the only reason they should be taking a security deposit from your paycheck is if they provide the housing for you. As you said you found your own housing. Also, I work with EPIK and the contract says they are to provide you with things needed to furnish your place. I can't understand what's going on at your school :/

• baphomet
  • Veteran

• August 01, 2014, 12:19:06 pm
    • Gunpo
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:16:44 am »
I just started working in a very small school in a remote village in Paju, my school did not provide me with anything as per my accommodation except 400,000 monthly rent. I found my own housing, paid my own 5mil deposit, and furnished it myself, and now co-teacher said she has to deduct the 900,000 won housing security deposit from my salary according to the GEPK contract. The school does not even know where I stay or have anything to do with my housing. I just told her NO, but she insist it's the law.
 Please advice, am I doing something wrong here?

I think you tripping out.  You gots to pay the security deposit no matter where you living.  But don't trip, you get it back when you dip out.  Believe that

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:19:41 am »
Call your coordinator to set her straight. You are completely correct. The school has no reason to ask for that. You can keep trying to talk sense in her but she seems set on her ways. She probably has no experience with this and has read the information incorrectly. Escalate the issue if she stays stubborn.

• baphomet
  • Veteran

• Gunpo
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 11:21:06 am »
Escalate the issue if she stays stubborn.

Follow advice like this if you aint trying to re-sign of be liked at yo school. Feel me?

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 11:40:37 am »

Follow advice like this if you aint trying to re-sign of be liked at yo school. Feel me?

If the school gets all bent out of shape over something that they are incorrect about then it is probably not a school worth re-signing with. 900k is a lot of money especially after already putting 5 million down. There are proper procedures on how to escalate the problem and she has already taken it up with her CT. If the CT refuses to budge then move on up.

• baphomet
  • Veteran

• Gunpo
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:51:37 am »

If the school gets all bent out of shape over something that they are incorrect about then it is probably not a school worth re-signing with. 900k is a lot of money especially after already putting 5 million down. There are proper procedures on how to escalate the problem and she has already taken it up with her CT. If the CT refuses to budge then move on up.

It in yo contract that you have to pay that 900 grand NO MATTER IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN PAD.  If you start hasselling your co teacher over thing that are obvious, and take random internet peoples opinions over your own employment contract, you got problems yo.  That 900 grand aint only for housing, its for other thing too.  Read the contract and get back at me homie.  Peace

• nermal
  • Veteran

• September 26, 2012, 08:07:32 am
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:56:10 am »
If your school wants to take the 900k as a security deposit, at least ask them to break it up over a few months. That's a big chunk of change. Especially after giving up the 5 million.

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:02:14 pm »
I haven't had 900K deducted by the past 3 schools, but I do recall some of the prior schools doing it. 

It is in the contract - and you paying 5 mill, because you want to pick your own place rather than have your school pick and pay for you, has nothing to do with the 900K deposit.  Besides, as others have mentioned, you do get this money back at the end of the contract, so it's no big loss.  Also, they take it out in 3 increments of 300K - so it shouldn't be a huge financial hit. 

Having said that, if your school is forcing you to pick your own apartment - and forcing you to pay 5 mill deposit (in addition to the 900K deposit), then I can see why you might have an issue with this school. 

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 12:03:24 pm »

It in yo contract that you have to pay that 900 grand NO MATTER IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN PAD.  If you start hasselling your co teacher over thing that are obvious, and take random internet peoples opinions over your own employment contract, you got problems yo.  That 900 grand aint only for housing, its for other thing too.  Read the contract and get back at me homie.  Peace

OP said it was a housing deposit. If that is the case then it is incorrect. If what you are saying is that it is used for other deposits then I was unaware of that. I do not have your contract so I can't read one. If you got one and can post I would like to read it. Obviously if it specifically states in the contract that it is paid regardless of own housing then why post in the first place? Assumptions from the OP led me to what I wrote.
Please reply back when convenient friend  :laugh:

• smun50
  • Veteran

• March 23, 2012, 10:08:24 am
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 12:03:36 pm »
You should look in your contract, but I'm with GEPIK and at my first school, they only took out 300K the first month only. I got it back at the end of my contract. I have my own housing btw. I'm at a new school, and I don't know what they're gonna do yet, but it says in my contract that they will take out 300K over the course of 3 months for a total of 900k no matter if you have your own housing. I know. Really ridiculous. But the good news is you get it back at the end of your contract. Think of it like forced savings, like someone else said.

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 12:03:46 pm »
That's a battle you may not win, don't worry though, if you pay the security deposit make sure to get it in writing that you get that deposit back when you leave.  Since you're paying the school doesn't get the money back when you leave the apartment.  It's like a forced savings plan.

Exactly.

Remember you live in Korea.
Korea is a box. People live inside this box. The do not care or understand what is going on outside this box. A large portion of people have adopted this "Box Effect" into the the very essence of their being. They have put a box around their minds. They do not venture out because things are way scary outside the box.

To ask one of these people to look outside the box is a task more arduous than the trek to Mount Doom. Just don't even bother.

There are people who venture out of the box. They understand that there is more than what is in the box. However, what happens outside the box stays outside the box. When in the box only the laws of the box exist.

Okay not my  best work but it gets the point across. You'll get your money back don't worry.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:40:51 pm by Jgrat »

• Morfee
  • Super Waygook

• August 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
    • Gangwon-Do
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 12:14:24 pm »
Explain your situation with regards 5,000,000 deposit. Ask them to take 300,000 a month out of your pay, tell them that otherwise you won't be eating.

Get it in writing that this is the deal, claim it back at the end and be safe in the knowledge that you'll have a nice sum upon leaving.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 12:22:35 pm »
To ask one of these people to look outside the box is a task more arduous than the trek to Mount Mordor. Just don't even bother.

cough cough

mount doom

cough cough

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 12:28:43 pm »
The security deposit is paid, regardless of whether it's your housing or not.  It's clear cut.  You won't get out of it, so for your work atmosphere, don't make it an issue.  And, if you take the housing allowance, they are not required to provide anything. 

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 12:29:13 pm »
I had that money taken from my contract, and it is the last money that I will have returned to me AFTER I have left the country.  The school has certain tax adjustments that they have to make and they use that money to do so.  Anything remaining will be sent back to you; so it is a good idea to set up something like a KEB Easy One account.  I understand what you are saying since you are responsible for the entire housing contract, but at least in my contract that security deposit is not really related to my house (unless I damage shit in it).  Don't make a fuss over something that is pretty standard in every contract I've ever had.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 12:29:18 pm »
It's not the law, it's just a policy of PS, but good luck getting them to change their minds. Admin staff are not known for their flexibility. I had the same problem at my PS. In the end I paid it because I didn't need the cash right then and it didn't seem worth the hassle. Your admin doesn't want to go to your MOE and get permission not to collect the deposit so they would prefer to strong arm you. (I'm not sure the possibility of this even crosses their minds)

To top it off, my school admin changed and the new admin somehow thought that the W900,000 belonged to the school. Fun times.

Basically it's midnight runner insurance for the school. I'm not sure how legal or illegal it is either having the school garnish your wages, but good luck going to the labor board to fight against a govt department.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »
To ask one of these people to look outside the box is a task more arduous than the trek to Mount Mordor. Just don't even bother.

cough cough

mount doom

cough cough

My bad. I rushed that. Serves me right trying to get all ranty right before lunch.

Thanks for the proofread harrison.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »

Exactly.

Remember you live in Korea.
Korea is a box. People live inside this box. The do not care or understand what is going on outside this box. A large portion of people have adopted this "Box Effect" into the the very essence of their being. They have put a box around their minds. They do not venture out because things are way scary outside the box.

There are people who venture out of the box. They understand that there is more than what is in the box. However, what happens outside the box stays outside the box. When in the box only the laws of the box exist.

Okay not my  best work but it gets the point across. You'll get your money back don't worry.

That was beautiful. I am remembering this for the future.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.