Read 3110 times

Can anyone help explain what 돌봄 is?
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:07:32 am »
This is in regards to the public elementary school system (GEPIK), after school classes only.

There is this class which is called, '돌봄' and sometimes there are variations of it like, '돌봄 교사' and '오후 돌봄', and those are even separated with a "나" and "가" which seems to mean that a different teacher teaches those classes.  I've noticed over the years that it seems to have been creeping up and taking more of my school's after school schedule (which seems to also have eaten up my classes either intentionally (ie., less emphasis on english asp now?), or accidentally (I lost more english asp classes simply due to a crowded schedule?).

I've asked my CT's and even HT's and most of them could not give me a specific or clear answer about what that class is.  The closest thing I got was that it is some sort of "After School Care" program.  There is no specific curriculum or guide as to what needs to be taught in those classes.  It seems like it's a "free/open" class and whichever teacher or instructor (from outside the school they bring in) can teach whatever they want.  It could be english/phonics sometimes, arts and crafts, math, or other miscellaneous stuff?

What I want to know is if these classes are "mandatory" by the board of education or if there are certain amount of "hours" that must be taught in each school, OR is it purely free and up to the school to decide what they want to do with this class. 

The reason why I'm asking is because, at the start of every new school year, when I get my schedule, sometimes I ask my school to change my after school classes because I either wanted to balance out my classes, move them to different days, or even add another class and take it away from 돌봄 or at the expense of 돌봄 class.   For the most part, they've always been willing to accommodate my requests, and sometimes I just wonder if I'm overstepping my boundaries by taking classes away from 돌봄 or if that is completely ok to do, if it's pretty much an optional/open/free class that doesn't really need to have "x" amount of hours per week?   Some of the 돌봄 classes are taught by homeroom teachers in my school and some are taught by a non-homeroom teachers that is from our staff and another class is taught by an outside instructor brought in by the school.  Last time it was actually one of the students' mother who came to do some of those classes at our school.

I'm thinking about asking for 3 more classes (that I normally used to have but I don't have anymore this year because 돌봄 has taken them over), but I don't know if I'm taking away hours or classes that are MANDATED by the board or if it's ok for me to do that since if those classes are really just optional/free wandering blocks that aren't an absolute necessity.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:11:01 am by teacher2004 »

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
Re: Can anyone help explain what 돌봄 is?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:12:34 am »
My coworkers translate it as "child care" - at this school, it's essentially the place students go between after school classes or while waiting for the bus. They get a snack and sometimes the students are staying late enough that the company that provides school lunch delivers dinner as well. It runs all day during vacations/camps.

The teacher here tutors some of the students in math and Chinese, but mostly it's just a child care center. Babysitting until they can leave school grounds for the day.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:33:36 am »
Very interesting.  Yes, that sounds about right to me.  However, at my school, they don't get food or snacks.  Only the 돌봄 class after 4:30 that stay until 5:30 or 7:00pm get dinner.
But for all the 돌봄 classes that run from 2:00 to 4:30pm appear like real classes, but yes, I did notice that some of the times, they are doing what looks like free/optional (just drawing, doing worksheets, playing, running around outside etc.).

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:48:41 pm by teacher2004 »

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:02:35 pm »
As a side note, does anyone know whether or not 돌봄 classes are part of the EPIK contract? My school is considering having me teach English as part of the program, but I'm wondering if it falls outside of the limits of my visa (seeing as it's technically a child care service).

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:08:08 pm »
돌봄 can be translated as 'day care'. It's where kids can stay and be 'cared' for. Parents have to pay for this service, and schools treat it as an extra income source. It's cheap though, and lots of poorer working parents use this service, since they either have to work, and/or can't afford to send their kids to hagwons. In my school it's runs 4-9pm, Monday to Friday.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:28:31 am »
Well you can't treat it like a free time fun time class...you actually have to teach if you are assigned to teach English during those "child care" times.  My last school told me it's not important and I could do want ever I wanted with the kids.  I still taught even though I got free range.  My new school told me stories about how the teacher I replaced just played UNO and checkers all day with the kids and they were quite upset about that.  So I'm sticking to board and treating it like a regular mandated class even though the word does translate to "day care." 

P.S.  At my old school I was given an extra 200,000 a month (not paid on the 17th but on a different day) for these classes.  However at my new school since I'm only teaching two mandated classes a week and more 돌봄 classes than regular classes, I'm not going to even ask if I get extra pay for this since it would be rather presumptuous of me to do so.  So if you are in my situation, I would just assume these are part of your paid hours. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:12:44 am by Piggydee »

• CamIg705
  • Newgookin

• March 04, 2014, 02:47:46 pm
    • Sejong-Si
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 03:24:19 pm »
I also have a lot of questions about this program.  This year, almost half of my classes will be  돌봄, and I've actually been told to NOT make lesson plans, but just to play with the students and teach them a little fun English.  They don't want the students to think of this time as 'work', so they don't want me using textbooks.  They are, however, willing to buy me music or storybooks to use with the kids (1st and 2nd graders).

Anyone who did these classes last year have any advice or ideas?  I'm scheduled to teach them M-TH for about 40 minutes.  I considered having a game day/ story day/ music day...or something like that to keep the kids entertained.  What do these class times look like for you?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:32:16 pm by CamIg705 »

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 03:37:04 pm »
If you don't absolutely love the little rug-rats. RUN!!!

Don't teach it.  Have them hire someone to come in to your school to teach it, instead of you.

It is the only aspect of my job that I absolutely HATE.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:16:41 pm »
Very fortunate that my school set up a separate classroom for this day care for children. Yes, they are fed and are allowed to remain in that class room til their parents pick them up after work. One child remained til 10pm so the school built a sleeping area just in case. Luckily, the woman who runs this lives across the street from the school.

Back in 2010 when this was implemented, the school created that class room next door to the English classroom. They also had me teach several classes for extra pay. We watched movies mostly.

This year, we mostly played dodge ball.