Read 2582 times

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
No desk, no computer, no clue ;)
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:34:23 pm »
Well, they had all winter to prepare for the start of the new school year...

"Yes, I understand your culture."

I share an "office" with six other teachers, and only one has a computer and a desk.

We were given three days to "prepare" for our classes that officially begin tomorrow, but our offices won't be ready until after next week.

I enjoy the madness for the most part, as this never gets old.

Re: No desk, no computer, no clue ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »
Do you have anything planned for the first classes? Surely you have an introduction ppt and some icebreaker type games ready to go?

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 01:58:50 pm »
Everything for the classes is taken care of.

I am just feeling a bit snarky at the thought of it taking two months to set up 5 desks and 5 computers ;)

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:42:31 pm »
haha join the club man. i'm the first NET my school has ever had. they had the whole winter to arrange me a desk and computer and my desk is only arriving next week Wednesday. i'm camped out at a computer in the library at the moment.

i got a text at 5:30pm last Friday telling me classes would start this Tuesday, so i had one day to prepare an entire weeks worth of classes. luckily my co-teachers are actually helpful so it hasn't been a lot of work so far.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 06:51:00 pm »
On the bright side, the kids are probably really happy to meet you.  One of my new schools hasn't had a waygook in 4 years.  So, the kids are really frieking out everytime they see me three days a week.  On the other hand my other school many students already know me and are much more subdued as I taught there 5 days last year.  (Though some older grades did express some disappointment I won't teach them this year.)

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 10:00:27 pm »
2 years ago, instead of replacing all the windows of the entire 2nd floor (where the classrooms are) during the summer holidays, they decided to replace them during the first two weeks of school. I was told to teach while construction guys were banging nails and walking through my classroom with ladders and cement.

That wasn't the real kicker

After my head CT  told me, on Friday, that my class (filled with cement bags, ladders, tools, empty beer cans and other rubbish) would be cleaned over the weekend. I returned to school, the Monday, to find it in the same state. My weasel CT forgot to tell the builders to clean it, she then told the staff I offered to clean it over the weekend and I didn't do it. Before I could confront her, she ran off to a 6-month training camp.

Sorry for going off, OP, your situation brought back bad memories. Hope everything works out.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 06:28:19 am »
2 years ago, instead of replacing all the windows of the entire 2nd floor (where the classrooms are) during the summer holidays, they decided to replace them during the first two weeks of school. I was told to teach while construction guys were banging nails and walking through my classroom with ladders and cement.

After my head CT  told me, on Friday, that my class (filled with cement bags, ladders, tools, empty beer cans and other rubbish) would be cleaned over the weekend. I returned to school, the Monday, to find it in the same state. My weasel CT forgot to tell the builders to clean it, she then told the staff I offered to clean it over the weekend and I didn't do it. Before I could confront her, she ran off to a 6-month training camp.

Sorry for going off, OP, your situation brought back bad memories. Hope everything works out.

How in the heck did you resolve this situation? I'm relatively calm and complacent but I would've put my CT on speaker and just started into them so everyone could hear. Basically you got double screwed - messy room and made to look like it was your fault. Holy shit. If Koreans do this to each other, I find it miraculous that more folks don't go postal.
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”
-- Bernard Baruch (also attributed to Dr. Seuss )

------

• BloosCorn
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2012, 08:04:13 am
    • Yecheon, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:39:46 am »

This is absolutely hilarious.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 10:27:45 am »

How in the heck did you resolve this situation? I'm relatively calm and complacent but I would've put my CT on speaker and just started into them so everyone could hear. Basically you got double screwed - messy room and made to look like it was your fault. Holy shit. If Koreans do this to each other, I find it miraculous that more folks don't go postal.

Haha, oh god, did you post this at the time? I definitely remember reading this story, or one very similar, when I first arrived in Korea. I remember thinking...surely people here can't be this shitty in Korea. Two years later I know that the blame game is quite popular here.