Read 2076 times

E-2 visa transfer native country CRC required?
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:26:55 pm »
I'm a little confused. I'm finishing a contract with one office of education, and I got an offer to start a job from another office of education right after. The new office of education says I need a new CRC from my home country, notarized by the Korean consulate in my home country in order to transfer/extend my visa for another year, even though I will not leave Korea between the 2 jobs.

I'm sure this must be a pretty common occurrence, but I couldn't find any clear information on this specific requirement. Anyone know what the story on this is?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: E-2 visa transfer native country CRC required?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 10:42:03 pm »
You don't need a new CRC...just a certified copy of the one you originally submitted to immigration (or your first POE). You can get it either from immigration or your current POE.

They may also ask you for a korean police check. That can be obtained from any police station

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:49:44 am »
POE never submits your documents to immigration. They hold on to them. Often times they will ask you to forfeit your exit allowance in order to release them to you. If you don't want to go down that path or if they refuse to return them to you outright, your only option is to get a new one.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:21:17 am »
You don't need a new CRC...just a certified copy of the one you originally submitted to immigration (or your first POE). You can get it either from immigration or your current POE.

They may also ask you for a korean police check. That can be obtained from any police station

Who does it have to be certified by? I was told it had to be certified by the Korean consulate in my home country, but can it be certified by my embassy here in Korea?

POE never submits your documents to immigration. They hold on to them. Often times they will ask you to forfeit your exit allowance in order to release them to you. If you don't want to go down that path or if they refuse to return them to you outright, your only option is to get a new one.

If in my case my POE submitted them to the immigration office, I wouldn't have to submit it again, because they already have it on file right?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:26:54 am by travelingCeee »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:29:04 am »
It will be certified (stamped and signed) by the body you got the copy from...either the POE or immigration.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 08:32:29 am »

The bold text is correct.

Just go to immigration, and ask for copies of your CRC, immigration will then stamp them for you.

If they say you need new ones, or try to get money from you to release them, they are bullying you, and try to get extra cash from someones pockets.

The italics, however, has changed.

Recently, and I know because of experience, the law has changed. You CAN NOT request your own background check from the police station. Only your employer can do this now.

I went to the police station, just like I had done the year before, and they said the law had changed, and I am not authorized. I asked why, because it's MY background check, they said they don't know why it's changed. I had this confirmed with my consulting agency as well.
So that's up to the employer to get.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 08:27:56 am »
It will be certified (stamped and signed) by the body you got the copy from...either the POE or immigration.

I got my old CRC back from my POE (all stamped and signed), to which they cancelled my exit allowance. I then called my new POE to update them on my progress. My new POE told me that I cannot use these documents to transfer my E-2 because the CRC needs to have been issued within the last 6 months.

I then phoned immigration who said the CRC wasn't even required. They told me that to transfer an E-2 visa you require only:

-your passport
-your arc
-your new contract (original & photocopy)
-the school's business registration
-the teaching schedule
-60k won
-the housing contract
-completed forms 34 and 38

Can anyone tell me why this new POE is requesting a new CRC and/or if this is just shady?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:50:24 am by travelingCeee »

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:57:14 am »

I got my old CRC back from my POE (all stamped and signed), to which they cancelled my exit allowance. I then called my new POE to update them on my progress. My new POE told me that I cannot use these documents to transfer my E-2 because the CRC needs to have been issued within the last 6 months.

I then phoned immigration who said the CRC wasn't even required. They told me that to transfer an E-2 visa you require only:

-your passport
-your arc
-the teaching schedule
-60k won
-the housing contract

Can anyone tell me why this new POE is requesting a new CRC and/or if this is just shady?

This is normal for my province. A CRC is only good for 6 months. You have been on your old one for at least probably a year. Immigration does not want your CRC. The CRC is only for the POE hence why you requested your old CRC from the POE not immigration. If you had stayed in your old POE and just switched schools then you wouldn't need a new CRC. Since you are moving to a new POE it is required that you have an up to date one.

For what it is worth it is ridiculous but what is happening is normal procedure

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 09:11:40 am »

-your passport
-your arc
-the teaching schedule
-60k won
-the housing contract

This is normal for my province. A CRC is only good for 6 months. You have been on your old one for at least probably a year. Immigration does not want your CRC. The CRC is only for the POE hence why you requested your old CRC from the POE not immigration. If you had stayed in your old POE and just switched schools then you wouldn't need a new CRC. Since you are moving to a new POE it is required that you have an up to date one.

For what it is worth it is ridiculous but what is happening is normal procedure

I provided them with a new Korean CRC. Are you saying I need to provide them with a new CRC from my home country too, because the new Korean CRC is not enough?

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 01:27:02 pm »

I provided them with a new Korean CRC. Are you saying I need to provide them with a new CRC from my home country too, because the new Korean CRC is not enough?

I don't want to speculate what documents you need exactly sorry. Call the coordinator and find out. I was just trying to tell you that all the BS that you have to do with the CRC is normal procedure. Last time I stepped foot in my home country was 2010. I have had to produce 2 background checks since then even though I haven't left Korea.

Good news though is that if you do need a new CRC from home they usually accept the old one until the new one is processed and turned in.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 01:56:23 pm »
After extensive questioning of the immigration office, I can now confirm, that you do not need a new CRC from our home countries. This is some dumb but covering tactic by employers who make waygooks incur the costs and effort to produce one even though it will never be used or requested by immigration. Immigration may ask to see the old one and they may ask for a Korean one, but that depends on person you get. What immigration wants is:

-Your passport
-Your ARC
-Your new contract (original & photocopy) assuming you've completed your previous one, and if you haven't you'll need a Letter of Release
-The school's business registration
-A teaching schedule or your letter of appointment as a teacher
-Your new housing contract
-Forms 34 and 38 filled out and completed
-60,000 won to process the application

Form 34 is to extend your E-2 visa and change your residence

Form 38 is for changing your working place

Beyond this, if they do not have your original CRC and degree on file, they may ask for them. Both of which can be obtained from your POE at the cost of your exit allowance.

Just like waygo0k, Redondo and Hot6^ have said :)