Read 12413 times

Re: stop watching CNN...
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 07:47:09 am »
Always been a fan of the BBC & NPR, but Al-Jazeera is a whole new world. Thanks.

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 06:50:40 pm »
BBC mainly.....very rarely will I tune into the nonsense and scare mongering that you call CNN and Fox News....

• jaybird
  • Veteran

• April 06, 2011, 10:54:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 08:13:54 am »
WPR - World Politics Review is a great source if you want to stay current with what's happening around the world. You can subscribe to their media roundup for free - the editors handpick and aggregate top headlines from around the world and email them to you in an easy to read format. If you're pressed for time, you can read the quick summaries under each headline or open up the original article on another page.

They pull great content from the NYT, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Christian Science Monitor, Financial Times, Japan Times, Moscow Times, The Guardian, Asia Sentinel, and etc.

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2011, 09:13:10 pm »
I generally try and tune into my local news back home if I can, some stations offer a streaming service.  They generally have the best coverage as far as I'm concerned.  I want to know what is going on in my hometown more than my country in general.  Couldn't care for the over dramatic world news.

• RatnaMH
  • Veteran

• March 06, 2011, 02:47:17 pm
    • Iksan, South Korea
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 09:35:43 pm »
Don't watch the news....

I would hazard to say that every news channel out there (regardless of nationality) is either crap designated and tailor made for a demographic or the reporting is so far removed from what actually happened its not even funny.

Personal preference:

Independent bloggers who use their own dime or donations to travel to and report what they've seen and heard.
Ordinary netizens blogging about current events as they happen and they are in the thick of it.

• tfuller
  • Super Waygook

• September 13, 2010, 10:24:46 am
    • Yongsan, Chungbuk
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2011, 09:43:41 pm »
Don't watch the news....

I would hazard to say that every news channel out there (regardless of nationality) is either crap designated and tailor made for a demographic or the reporting is so far removed from what actually happened its not even funny.

Personal preference:

Independent bloggers who use their own dime or donations to travel to and report what they've seen and heard.
Ordinary netizens blogging about current events as they happen and they are in the thick of it.

Even independent bloggers have their own bias. It's best to get an informed judgment from various news sources, including those in the mainstream media... then make up your own mind.

Everything in moderation, right?  :D

• RatnaMH
  • Veteran

• March 06, 2011, 02:47:17 pm
    • Iksan, South Korea
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2011, 10:10:06 pm »
Everyone can only bring back a piece of their own reality wherever they go based on their outlook on life.

The fact of the matter is that when it comes to international affairs its best to keep an open mind about what may surprise you and what the real priorities of people and politicians are.

Maybe its the International Relations major in me but I tend not to take the mainstream media seriously as any kind of in depth coverage or analysis... leave that to the foreign policy PhDs, lol.

Case in example: there was the much bandied question of if the US has such big balls why don't we invade and take out North Korea?  Probably for the same reason we pulled back to the 38th parallel in the Korean War. Crossing the Yalu River would have put us in close proximity to China, which would've potentially added more fuel to the fire and prolonged the conflict as we were already estranged from the middle kingdom and China itself wasn't having any of that anyways. Encroaching into N.Korea challenges China's sphere of influence, we don't really want that not then and certainly not today.

But you are not going to get this kind of stuff from the news- not really.
As for bloggers my personal interest has always been the Mideast. There's a wealth of bloggers from Lebanon and Egypt and what not whose real political views aren't reported by the media either because they don't ask the right questions or enough people.
How do you report the 500 year political division of Lebanon between three massive political FAMILIES in a sound bite?

You can, I believe, but I don't think many news sources would.

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:27 am »
I'm a pretty big fan of Democracy Now.