• Veteran

• March 03, 2014, 03:06:49 pm
SOLVED
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:14:24 pm »
SOLVED
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:24:56 pm by SKhero »

Re: Best way to get to Seoul
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:48:31 pm »
Your contract finishes in September this year but you wanted to apply for the spring intake for SMOE this year? why not apply for the August intake this year then, apps for that are still open AFAIK.

• SKhero
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:41:35 pm »
Ahhhh sorry! I've been cramming my head trying to figure out what to do and for some odd reason thought it was still 2014 hahaha. I was planning on applying for the a Spring intake as the Fall intake starts before my contract ends, which is why I cited the 2015 Spring application haha.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 11:07:59 pm »
I'm going to be blunt and say this outright. SMOE is phasing out, and very fast. If they are even accepting applications when you're ready, they will not accept you if you have to break your contract to accept a contract with them. They are super picky these days. Unless you have a master's degree and/or a teacher's certificate and a high GPA plus two years teaching in Korea and whatever unsaid criteria they have, I'd skip it. (Pls note: I'm not assuming you don't having these things, I'm just listing them to show how picky they've gotten).

You could try Gangnam-gu office as they do their own hiring but their criteria is the same. When they're hiring they list on esl cafe. Have you considered living in Seoul and just commuting to Gyeonngi satellite cities to work. That's what I do. I have my own apartment and I take the housing allowance. If getting your own apartment is not an option, don't discount opportunities in cities like Anyang, Uiwang, Gunpo, and northern Suwon, because the subway goes through them and it's generally no more than 30 mins from them to Seoul.
Just some thoughts.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• SKhero
  • Veteran

SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:41:13 pm »
solved
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:25:46 pm by SKhero »

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 03:41:56 am »
The best way to get to Seoul is by going to graduate school at SNU, KU, or Yonsei.  It's time to move on from ESL buddy. I know because I did it for 3 years and I appreciate Korea much more as a grad student living in Seoul!!! It's a funny feeling waking up in the morning in this country knowing you don't have to deal with children and a co-teacher.  :wink:

• Haibrok
  • Veteran

• January 21, 2015, 01:24:37 pm
    • Jorvik
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:06:22 am »
travelinpantsgirl gave me the same suggestion, I kinda poo-poo'd it at the time, but then I looked at this website called Habang--it books goshiwon for foreigners.  There are some pretty affordable places in Seoul that the housing allowance will cover--even with shower and toilet in your room.  Plus, if you don't have to pay utilities in the goshiwon, and you get coffee, rice, noodles, and kimchi free--you might come out ahead.

One thing I can't find is a trip planner for Seoul.  And I can't find the schedules with transit times for the Mugunghwa, Saemaul, AREX, and ITX express trains.  Those can cut down on your commute time.

• sass
  • Veteran

• August 19, 2009, 01:57:00 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 10:36:32 am »
I made the move to Seoul this year and found a good job. Hopefully this helps:

Apply for SMOE if you want but I think they only accepted like 30 people this year so make sure you do it right. SMOE still hires newbies to Korea so you definitely have a shot. It's just a matter of having all your documents ready, passing the interview and getting all your stuff to them early. It's expensive if you get rejected because they don't return your documents and as far as I know it's really hard to apply with a D10. The interview process is easy. It's really all about having your documents done to their specifications and earlier than everyone else. Also, if you're breaking contract to apply with them that will look bad and probably get you rejected outright.

Gangnam Office of Education hires end of January for March and maybe end of July for September.  They post on Dave's ESL Cafe when they're hiring. They only do in person demo class type interviews on certain days. I don't have experience with them but their job listings sounded pretty good. Similar to EPIK.

After school programs are a good choice but it can be hard to find decent companies. A lot of recruiters tried to sell me on programs where the pay was too low (like 2.5 and under). They should pay more because vacation time is less, you're teaching/planning alone, less benefits, etc. They'll tell you it's a good pay because less hours but that's bs.

In the end I applied for private elementary schools in Seoul and had a lot of success. They all wanted in person demo classes (which sounds intimidating) but I was offered a position at every school I interviewed at. These schools employ a lot of foreign teachers and see to struggle to find good teachers. I'd recommend this route.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 12:53:37 pm »
private elementary schools can be good, but just a warning to check them out the same way you would a hagwon (visiting the school, talking to previous teachers, etc.). i know 3 people who work/have worked for private elementary schools in Seoul and all 3 of them got worked to the absolute bone.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:54:10 am »
I usually just take the KTX.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• sass
  • Veteran

• August 19, 2009, 01:57:00 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »
private elementary schools can be good, but just a warning to check them out the same way you would a hagwon (visiting the school, talking to previous teachers, etc.). i know 3 people who work/have worked for private elementary schools in Seoul and all 3 of them got worked to the absolute bone.

Haha yes, this is very true. Private elementary and public are very different. Make sure you know what the work load is before you start. Some of these places pay terribly too which makes the work load even more ridiculous.

• SKhero
  • Veteran

SOLVED
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 08:19:31 am »
SOLVED
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:26:12 pm by SKhero »