Read 3186 times

• KirbyOwnz
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2013, 11:17:05 am
    • Geoje Island
I've read a few topics here and can kind of see the answer but I just want to explicitly ask it:  if I pick up my pension at the airport, do I need to head to an office beforehand?   Or do I just show up on my departure date.   

I assume you need to go to the pension office first. 

• KirbyOwnz
  • Veteran

• Geoje Island
Can't delete this topic I literally just found the answer on the website :/
http://english.nps.or.kr/jsppage/english/scheme/scheme_04.jsp

Still have to visit an office.  Which is a bit of a pain but I guess it's way better than the airport method anyway.   

If they fail to send it, how easy is it for them to send it while I'm outside Korea?  Based off my experience here in Korea I can only assume doing this by mail is a massive headache.   

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Kirby,

I've already left Korea once and collected my pension. If you are not in a hurry to receive your pension, do it through the pension office. If not, go the airport route and you DO NOT need to go to the office beforehand, that would defeat the purpose of the airport option, HOWEVER: You may not get all your money with this option if you leave shortly after your contract is up because your employer may not have reported all deductions and contributions at that point. Doing it by the office method can take almost 6 weeks depending on the time of the year. When you go to the office they ask you to provide a bank account so they can deposit the money. They will not mail it to you. You should leave your Korean account open so you can receive it. The airport option is a cash payout which depending on how much money you are receiving back might cause you problems at your arriving customs.
I did not have any problems receiving my money by going to office and having them deposit it, except I didn't like the wait. But you can call them from your home country. They have an English customer service number.

Can't delete this topic I literally just found the answer on the website :/
http://english.nps.or.kr/jsppage/english/scheme/scheme_04.jsp

Still have to visit an office.  Which is a bit of a pain but I guess it's way better than the airport method anyway.   

If they fail to send it, how easy is it for them to send it while I'm outside Korea?  Based off my experience here in Korea I can only assume doing this by mail is a massive headache.   
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• KirbyOwnz
  • Veteran

• Geoje Island
Oh wow, thanks for the response!   I'm like 99% likely to do the office method since I don't need the money asap.. I just had a lot of anxiety about "what do I do if something goes wrong" etc.  You know, the usual.

• farzshmarz
  • Adventurer

• April 29, 2014, 03:48:17 pm
    • South Korea
I'm not too sure about the response above.. I read that you DO have to visit an office beforehand. It says it in the directions for "Lump sum refund at the airport."

Step 1: Visit one of our local offices and apply for Lump-sum refund.
Step 2: Select Airport Payment as method of payment...

That should be very clear. If anyone has actually had a different experience please correct me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:02:00 am by farzshmarz »

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
I see they have changed the process for that. When I left before, you could just go to the office in the airport and request it.

I'm not too sure about the response above.. I read that you DO have to visit an office beforehand. It says it in the directions for "Lump sum refund at the airport."

Step 1: Visit one of our local offices and apply for Lump-sum refund.
Step 2: Select Airport Payment as method of payment...

That should be very clear. If anyone has actually had a different experience please correct me.

• KirbyOwnz
  • Veteran

• Geoje Island
I see.   Think they will be open on 설날?  I have my final day of class on Monday and leave on the 25th so that really hurts my availability.

I just checked with the pension office because I'm planning on doing an airport payout as well. The representative confirmed what it says on the website; you have to visit the local pension office first, get a slip, take that to the pension office at Incheon Airport to get a payout slip, then take that to Shinhan Bank at the airport to get your refund.  :shocked:

FYI:the English line for the pension office is 02-2176-8704.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
No. They won't be open. Are you public or hagwon?
If you're public ask to leave early this week to go to the office to file. They are open until 4:30-5:00 I think. I went during vacation last time. You can go anytime as long as you have your plane ticket. To show them. They will accept e-ticket print outs.

I see.   Think they will be open on 설날?  I have my final day of class on Monday and leave on the 25th so that really hurts my availability.

For those on the fence about the airport option.

I went to the Seocho regional office in Yangjae. It took 3 minutes and I was done. It should be in our account by March 31st. I was offered the airport option but declined just in case something goes wrong.

Whats the average pension for 1 year at public school?
"Keep 'em comin', sweets, I got a long drive. Do me a favor, will you? Would you mind washing off that perfume before you come back to our table?"

Ernie McCracken

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more

Well, I left SMOE in 2012 making 2.2 and I was there for two years and I collected $7,500. So if you cut that in half (okay less than half because I got a raise the second year) perhaps it's around $3,500?

• K04
  • Veteran

• September 07, 2010, 02:34:04 pm
    • Incheon South Korea

Well, I left SMOE in 2012 making 2.2 and I was there for two years and I collected $7,500. So if you cut that in half (okay less than half because I got a raise the second year) perhaps it's around $3,500?

There really isn't an "average" as it depends on what your school deducts for pension and then they contribute the same amount. Depending on what you make you could be putting in 100,000won a month to 140,000won a month. Most people in the low to mid scale of salary range from 2.5 to 2.8 million won a year. But to find out your own just call the English hotline with your ARC and they will tell you what is in your account.

• KirbyOwnz
  • Veteran

• Geoje Island
Would it be possible to just go to the pension office at the airport and have them send the money the normal way?   Or do they only deal with cash only situations.   

I really do not have much free time and I do not want to last minute this further. 

I might just have to beg my school to let me out early tomorrow.   I hate to do this because I also want to get a letter of recommendation done but the VP wasnt here today.   Im nervous about putting that off too because almost the whole school is changing.   The head teacher, VP, principal, co teacher... all gone.

Argh!

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
If you nicely explain what you have to do and that you just want to leave an hour early, I don't think it would be big deal. And no the airport pension office only deals with cash payouts, as far as I know. I think I only wait 10-15 mins at the pension office. It's not very long.

Would it be possible to just go to the pension office at the airport and have them send the money the normal way?   Or do they only deal with cash only situations.   

I really do not have much free time and I do not want to last minute this further. 

I might just have to beg my school to let me out early tomorrow.   I hate to do this because I also want to get a letter of recommendation done but the VP wasnt here today.   Im nervous about putting that off too because almost the whole school is changing.   The head teacher, VP, principal, co teacher... all gone.

Argh!

I went to the Songpa pension office to apply for the airport lump sum payout (the procedure according to the pension office) and was informed I was ineligible. The reason? My school has to pay the February pension payment which is due by March 10th. Long story short, I have to wait a whole month to receive my pension. I'm so confused as to why I couldn't just forego the February payment and get my cash in hand at the airport. I wasn't even given the option! Argh!

• farzshmarz
  • Adventurer

• April 29, 2014, 03:48:17 pm
    • South Korea
I went to the Songpa pension office to apply for the airport lump sum payout (the procedure according to the pension office) and was informed I was ineligible. The reason? My school has to pay the February pension payment which is due by March 10th. Long story short, I have to wait a whole month to receive my pension. I'm so confused as to why I couldn't just forego the February payment and get my cash in hand at the airport. I wasn't even given the option! Argh!

That's ridiculous! This country has many rules that don't make sense, and I'm not surprised. From what I understand, they are supposed to give you whatever the amount is before that last month, and anything after that would be deposited into your account you provide. If they changed the rules, then that sucks, because some people can't wait around for a month just to receive their pension at the airport.   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:22:25 am by farzshmarz »