Asfd
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:10:21 am »
Asdf
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:55:19 am by DrDialUp »

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
Re: First contract. Anything look suspicious to you veterans?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:08:20 am »
-Telephone English is terrible and looooong.  You don't even get paid for it, and it can take hours. 

-9.5 hours at work, and they say "maintenance of English environment during breaks", which can mean that you don't actually get breaks.  Like eating lunch with the kids and 'supervising play' during breaks. 

-Report cards also suck, I'd find out how often they're due.  If it's every month you can write off one weekend per month for that nonsense.  Once a semester is ok.

-9.5 hours a day is stupid.  It's not uncommon, unfortunately, and hard to avoid but it's stupid.  The draw of hogwans is supposed to be shorter hours. 

-Teaching schedule can be changed at any time.  This is common for hogwans, unfortunately.  But, again, stupid.

-Getting OT for those 4 Saturdays a year is pretty surprising.  It's the first time I've ever seen a hogwan offer it.  However, I can guarantee that they will get out of it somehow. 

****-For most hogwans, 30 hrs/week means 30 classes a week.  Here, it means 40 classes a week.  That is really hard to do, and you will likely burnout.  My first job here I had 40/week and it was really, really hard (well, 45 most weeks).  Also realize let's say you do one class extra one week.  You won't get the 18,000 for OT (which is already really low, it should be at least 20k, which is the lowest I've ever seen it).  You'll get 2/3x 18k.  Really, 8 classes a day is insane when you think about it. 

-Tax seems high.  Isn't 3.3% the independent contractor rate?  A common scam amongst hogwans is to overtax you and keep the difference.  Even 'good' places do stuff like this.  A good rule of thumb is to remember every hogwan is crooked to some degree.  The goal is to find the less crooked ones.  Anyway, others might know more about the tax rate.

****-Shared housing?  Nope.  That hasn't been a thing for 10 years, and even then it was pretty rare.  It might not come to be, but even the fact that they mention it shows how shoddy they are.  Even if you get single housing to begin with, what's to say that your lease won't run out halfway through and they move you into the livingroom of another apartment?  I've seen it happen many times (years ago, but then again I don't know many hogwaners these days). 

In sum, some good some bad.  But really the working hours and possible shared housing would indicate a bad situation.  40 classes a week for 2.1 is insane.  I realize salaries are stagnant, but that's ridiculous.  30 classes for 2.1, fine if you have to, but that's the limit. 

As you probably know, you should always ask to speak to a current teacher before signing a contract.  Ask for their email and get the real low down.  If the school makes up some excuse, don't sign with them.  Asking to speak to a current employee is totally reasonable, even expected these days.  Many places even offer someone to talk to (which can be shady in it's own way). 

Sorry, I know it's hard.  We've all been there.  Eventually you'll just have to take a leap of faith and have confidence that whatever happens you'll be fine (because you will be).  You won't get a perfect job the first time around, but a little prudence now will save you a year of headaches and stress.  Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:17:15 am »
The teacher should submit doctor’s prescription to the school for approving sick leaves in 1 day advance.

You have to tell them what day you'll be sick one day in advance of the day when you'll be sick? I think that'll only work for 'dodgy pint' syndrome.

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:25:54 am »
No mention of an air conditioner. You'll be needing one of those in the summer after your 40 classes a week.

That's about how many classes I teach a month and I clear 1 million Won a month more than you gross.

I'd pass if I were you.
Hail Caesar

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul-East Side
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 05:54:57 pm »
Thanks for the response.  I have talked to 2-3 teachers that are currently there.  They all said they're enjoying it and they feel they are treated well but, like you said, the hours can be long. 

I mentioned the 3.3% tax thing to the recruiter and he said this

"I will check this issue to the school on Monday and let you know.    Actually,  Most of   the schools leave the tax issue
to the tax office (CPA) that they hired.   Because they do not know about tax issue since it is very complex and hard to calculate by themselves.     Generally,  Most of contract in Korea says that the tax is 3.3 %. 
Probably I assume that income tax on the contract also includes,  residence tax and  local government tax.

Of course,  the teacher's  tax  will be calculated  according to the Korean law since
you will be reported to the KIO and Korean government and will be  covered by insurance and pension system in Koera by the school when you arrives here.  That is the Korean law. . It means that you are not independent contractor.   Independent contract cannot be covered by insurance and pension system from the Korean government."

Yeah, even though it sounds dodgy that's a perfectly reasonable and believable explanation by your recruiter. 

With Korean jobs and apartments anywhere, you should never take the first one you're offered.  You learn what to look for and get an impression of what's on offer over time. 

With all due respect to the poster above, I assume he's not on his first contract, so it's unreasonable to expect such conditions for you.  But like I said, 30 classes/week is the norm, not 30 hours OF classes.  It's not just the class hours, which is intense on its own.  It means more planning, more student reports, more journals to mark, more parents to talk to, more everything. 

And try to avoid telephone teaching and definitely shared housing.  Those are also unusual.  You can get 2.1 (heck, more) for 30 hours a week all over the country.  No need to settle, but it might take a little more time.  As I said, that little more time will save you headaches and stress down the road.  Good luck!

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul-East Side
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:44:22 am »
Well my recruiter got back to me and they are going to adjust the contract and fix the income tax section so it's in accordance with the rate for an employee instead of the 3.3% which is for Independent contractors.

That's nice at least.  I'm not really worried about them putting me in shared housing.   So the only real issue I have left with this contract is the house/phone teaching part.

Yeah, it's up to you.  If the school seems flexible and the other teachers seem happy enough, then it's your call.  You'll have to take a leap of faith eventually. 

Btw, the new semester starts in March, that's why most schools want you then. 

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Korealand
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 06:06:13 am »
Terrible contract. You can find much better