Read 3258 times

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Are you horrible at interviews?
« on: January 29, 2015, 08:56:27 am »
Is anyone here also horrible at interviews? I am an introvert but when I am teaching a class I am different person, very outgoing. So my demos make me seem like a split personality when I interview. I am a huge thinker and so because you don't get a tremendous amount of time to think your answers through in interviews, I usually suck. I am a writer and a perfectionist so I sometimes, depending on the question fumble through the answers but if I had been asked to write my answers I would've impressed them thoroughly.

I also think I've allowed my really bad experience this year (really not nice CT [I'm putting it mildly]) to affect my confidence despite the fact that I know my strengths as a teacher.

Do you any of you suffer from this? If so, how do you deal with it?

I've bombed (or so I feel because I didn't get hired) at three of the most important interviews of my career here. So I am looking to see what others do in this situation.

Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Re: Are you horrible at interviews?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:14:42 am »
I consider myself an introvert too, and I've always thought interviews, and the whole recruitment process is a farce.  That said, I can't really think of a better way for it to be done.

Know your strengths as a teacher, and prepare and practice a whole range of of answers that you could be asked. It's not difficult to anticipate.

Don't feel you have to be a perfectionist in an interview. They want to see a real person, they can connect with.

Make a note of all you have achieved in your career so far, and dig into the details of what actions and decisions you took. Then in the interview base your answers on past experiences, and share those examples.  They will be easier to talk about.

Good luck with your future interviews.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:19:31 am »
I love interviews. The adrenaline rush is amazing. Always see challenge as a time for growth. Push yourself, you can do it.
Articles of Confederation, the supreme law of the land.

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:50:32 am »
You've probably spent hundreds of hours teaching. You've learned to play a certain role in the classroom. You have a lot less practice interviewing so you don't do as well. You have to learn to play a certain role in interviews too. Try to anticipate some of the questions they may ask you and write down some possible answers. Practice reciting these answers.

Also realize that introverts tend to over think things. Watch how this extrovert passes an interview for a job teaching kindergarten in China even though a lot of his answers are BS and he admits that his resume contains "a healthy mix of fact and fiction":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-9Cpf6tDo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:11:01 am »
I had a job interview at an insurance company once and the lady said, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" And I said, "celebrating the fifth year anniversary of you asking me this question."

-- Mitch Hedberg
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:33:14 am »
George...You're an extravert, aren't you?

I love interviews. The adrenaline rush is amazing. Always see challenge as a time for growth. Push yourself, you can do it.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:35:04 am »
LOL...That's awesome for a question I can't stand.
I had a job interview at an insurance company once and the lady said, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" And I said, "celebrating the fifth year anniversary of you asking me this question."

-- Mitch Hedberg

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 10:43:59 am »
Have you all noticed any commonality in interview questions you're asked here for teaching positions? I tend to fair much better for elementary positions (which I currently teach) than for adult teaching positions, which I desperately want to get into. I love children, but I'm a little burnt on singing songs, role-playing (fairy tale type), and silliness, which tends to be the expectation here for young learner teaching. I want to teach life skill English, even if some of said students are less than motivated. Having said all that, the only common questions I get here are, "How would reach/motivate/deal with a disruptive/shy/unmotivated student?" How do you like living in Korea (this one is constant staple)?" (after answering I love it) "Why?"

Other than that, I rarely get questions that are predictable or even common. Once I was asked why I was getting a second masters in English (my first is Communication) and stupidly, I was honest. That was a bad move. I should've just said how much I love deconstructing literature and and discussing it critically. As if my answer would lead them to believe I'd better teacher despite the fact that almost no one teaches literature in English here.

What are some questions you have been asked here repeatedly in many interviews?

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 10:53:13 am »
Where do you see yourself in X years?

Why do you want a job with our company/school?

What is your biggest weakness?

How would ~ ( a friend/boss/student) describe you?

It's like the interviewers all mostly have the same script.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:57:30 am »
You've been asked those questions here in Korea for teaching positions?

Where do you see yourself in X years?

Why do you want a job with our company/school?

What is your biggest weakness?

How would ~ ( a friend/boss/student) describe you?

It's like the interviewers all mostly have the same script.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 11:25:05 am »
The adrenaline rush

adrenaline is what you get from sports, not sitting down and talking to your future boss

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 11:28:41 am »
The adrenaline rush

adrenaline is what you get from sports, not sitting down and talking to your future boss

Yeah

Adrenaline is what you get from being chased down by a pack of hungry lions, not sitting down and schooling your future underling.