Read 1404 times

• Henali
  • Waygookin

• August 28, 2011, 11:07:43 pm
    • Pretoria, South Africa
Introversion in Korea
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:03:21 pm »
Hey everyone!

I've been speaking to my high-level first year middle schoolers about introversion (part of my job is having inveractive conversations with them). I've been really surprised at how negatively some of them seem to view introversion. My questions, therefore: Do you know any famous Korean people who have described themselves as introverts? How do you introduce 'introvert' as a new word? I'm usually a bit hyperbolic when introducing new terms or expressions becuase EFL has gone to my head. That's been particularly counter-productive with the word 'introversion'. Advice, please!

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: Introversion in Korea
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:10:27 pm »
Sorry I don't have a lot to add pedagogically, but I wanted to say, I ran into this when I worked Kindy and found that Koreans as a whole tend to confuse shy with introversion, and as I'm sure you know, they're not one and the same. I think what they don't like is shyness. I'm introvert almost completely to the end of the scale but I'm not shy and when standing in front of a class I morph into a temporary extrovert. I don't know if your students know the difference but maybe you could discuss the differences and give them a truncated (easier or translated) version of the Myers-Briggs test? That way you can get into the pluses of every personality type including introversion which had gotten an unnecessarily bad rap here in Korea. Just my two cents.

Hey everyone!

I've been speaking to my high-level first year middle schoolers about introversion (part of my job is having inveractive conversations with them). I've been really surprised at how negatively some of them seem to view introversion. My questions, therefore: Do you know any famous Korean people who have described themselves as introverts? How do you introduce 'introvert' as a new word? I'm usually a bit hyperbolic when introducing new terms or expressions becuase EFL has gone to my head. That's been particularly counter-productive with the word 'introversion'. Advice, please!
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.