Read 4003 times

Winter/Summer camp, half day?
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:43:12 am »
I checked in my contract again and couldn't find anything specific that says if Summer/Winter english camps are half days or not.  I'm in GEPIK so it might differ elsewhere but for some reason, I had this belief for the last few years that I've been here that Summer/Winter camps are always HALF DAYS, meaning we are only supposed to be scheduled for class in the mornings (9 to 12:30 ish) and no classes in the afternoons.   I'm not sure if this is true or not.  I don't remember why I believed this was fact.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  Could anyone clear it up?

I've done about 9 or 10 camps (5 winters, 4 summers...something like that now) and I've always been scheduled only for mornings (9am to 12:20 ish) and never have any classes in the afternoon.  I believed that NETs are actually free to leave the school after lunch (half days).   But for the first 9 camps, I've never left after lunch.   I preferred to stay at school the whole afternoon to just prepare for future lessons and work on some other things. 

It just dawned on me now (in my 10th camp) since I started leaving school after lunch.  Nobody has said anything to me whether or not I'm not actually supposed to leave school until 4:30 or 5:00pm.  I just can't remember for the life of me where I was told or read that camps were always half days and NETs can leave school after lunch.

I asked myself, "what if someone from school asks me why I'm leaving school after lunch?" and then I always answered to myself, "because NETs are only supposed to be here up until lunch and after that we are legally free to leave if we want)".  But then I thought to myself, "where did I get that idea or info?  where is proof in case I need to show it to my school?" and I couldn't find it.  So now that made me wonder why I always  believed for the past 5 years that camps were just half days and we don't need to desk warm and stay at school after lunch until 4:30 or 5pm.   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:47:26 am by teacher2004 »

• Quaelyn
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2011, 02:45:27 pm
Re: Winter/Summer camp, half day?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:57:35 am »
During my 3 years in Korea, I always had to stay at school after my camps were finished (always ran in the mornings until noon or 1pm). I was specifically told that I could not leave. It was within the terms of my contract that they could do this (I was with EPIK in Daejeon). I always heard that it was up to your school whether the NET was allowed to leave after camps were finished for the day or not, and according to the contract the school was not forced to allow the NET to leave.

As far as the morning camps, my husband worked in a middle school and for almost every one of his camps he had at least a few days where he taught in the afternoon instead of the morning because there were other morning classes going on that the students had to attend.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:22:42 am »
During my 3 years in Korea, I always had to stay at school after my camps were finished (always ran in the mornings until noon or 1pm). I was specifically told that I could not leave. It was within the terms of my contract that they could do this (I was with EPIK in Daejeon). I always heard that it was up to your school whether the NET was allowed to leave after camps were finished for the day or not, and according to the contract the school was not forced to allow the NET to leave.

As far as the morning camps, my husband worked in a middle school and for almost every one of his camps he had at least a few days where he taught in the afternoon instead of the morning because there were other morning classes going on that the students had to attend.

This is correct.

• withmatt
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2013, 08:32:24 am
    • Guri
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 07:48:30 am »
What is the best way to politely ask if we can go home sfter 12:30?  paris baguette?

• emwsu
  • Veteran

• November 28, 2010, 09:19:06 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:48:30 am »
I have camp all day. It mostly depends on the school, you are just to get the 20 hours a week in.

As for staying or leaving. I would say it depends on your school. If on desk-warming days your school lets you leave at lunch then you can on camp days. If you are to stay until 4:30 (as contract would read for 40 hours), then stay on camp days as well.

My school has always allowed me to leave at lunch time. The unwritten rule has been if there is no school lunch I go home at lunch.

I know of other schools who allow their NETs to 'work from home' aka avoid desk-warming.

• Yaya
  • Featured Contributor

• May 08, 2014, 01:25:18 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 07:54:38 am »
My school makes me sit and desk warm until 4:30... My vice-principal is a stickler for the rules so even on days when ALL the other staff get to leave early I'm told that I have to stay or give up some of my paid vacation.

I guess it just depends on your school.

• Korea13
  • Super Waygook

• May 29, 2013, 08:36:18 am
    • korea
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 09:02:00 am »
Camp can be in the morning or afternoon. Usually for elementary school, camp tend to be in the morning as there are only a few camp (English, science,music).

Middle and High School camp tend to be both in the morning and afternoon. My middle school the NET English camp is in the afternoon. Reason is because in the morning there are other camp by different subject teacher.

Remember in middle school and high school teacher are subject teacher as oppose to elementary where teaches teacher most of the subject.

As for being there until 4:40pm. Contract states that we have to be there, but it up to your Principle and VP to decided if you can go early or not. Apparently, i have to be here until 4:40pm.

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 09:41:31 am »
I actually just thought about this today, because last year at my middle school, we had morning summer camps, but everyday after they finished at 12:30 we were hurried out by the night-watch guy, as the school was closed in the afternoons. So I really had no say in the matter. But I don't know what it will be like this year in a new elementary school. I'm actually hoping I can stay after the camps to prepare for the next day as the camps I'm doing require some decent prep. before each lesson.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• krissyboo75
  • Expert Waygook

• September 27, 2011, 01:01:39 pm
    • Gyeongsanbuk-do, South Korea
    more
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:24:51 am »
My camps this year only run until lunch time but I have to stay. At my old school I've had camps from 1-4pm before as well. Although at my last school if I wasn't teaching they told me I could go home but "don't tell anyone". They were a private high school so I feel like they were able to get away with that more than public schools. I can't do that this year. I'm currently deskwarming, no students and 3 or 4 other teachers here. What is the point of me being here? keep the building warm with my bodyheat? Anyway I believe we MUST be here technically but if your VP is nice enough to let you go home, then take it! I don't think there are EPIK police so I feel like if they did let us go, no one would need to know~

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 12:17:29 pm »
yeah i think it's up to the school pretty much.  I don't know why I thought for sure 100% that we weren't supposed to stay after lunch or that we weren't supposed to be penciled in for afternoons.  I don't know where I got that from 5 years ago....can't remember.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 12:41:22 pm »
it really depends on your school. if no-one explicitly tells you that you have to stay, i would just tell the admin lady that you're going home for lunch and then just don't bother coming back. that's what i did at my school last year and no-one says anything.

if they mention it just play dumb and say you thought you could go home, that you're sorry, and from now on you'll stay at school.

at my new school this year my summer camp was from 4-6pm so instead of going home early i came in late in the morning. no-one's said anything here either.

just be warned that the school can potentially dock you vacation days for going home early if they find out and aren't happy about it. something to bear in mind.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 02:52:45 pm »
It's really up to your school. I'm middle school and my camps have always been in the afternoon from 1pm-4pm because there are other classes in the mornings for students to attend. My school was pretty chill and would not make me come in until 11am, but I usually came in around 10:15-ish just to prepare for the day and mentally get into work mode.

This August, we got a new Principal and I've been told she is kind of a stickler for rules and I will more than likely have to be at work at 8:30am. It's a bummer, but I don't really mind getting paid to sit in a heated office and watch Netflix while getting organized for the afternoon.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 06:33:22 pm »
Yup. By the contract you should stay until 4:30. But it's really a roll of the dice if your co-t / principals care

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 01:23:41 pm »
ahahahaahaha

I teach from 9 to 3:30 and I still cannot leave.

I get a lunch break this time, though. 20 glorious minutes.

Yay for my life!
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 02:24:02 pm »
Depends on your school's principal, and vice-principal. People on these forums often claim there are official 'rules', but in the end the principal, and vice-principal, are the law. Remember one time last year my main CT minder said I should stay until 4:30, and then she leaves to take the rest of the day off. So, there I'm sitting in the English office all by myself browsing and listening to music. Then my vice-principal taps me on the shoulder and asks me why I haven't gone home. So I went home. Same shoulder tap routine for almost two weeks, until that second Friday he pulls out a bottle vodka, and some other random teacher with a box of pigs feet, and we got plastered at school until 4:30. The best, and most unprofessional time I've had in Korea. Talking about what teachers we thought were hot, or who we hated, random guy stuff... Great times.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:27:27 pm by pkjh »

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 08:06:35 pm »
Like everything else it depends on your Principal and especially your Vice Principal (since the VP is in charge of most daily stuff).

They are basically gods. You could walk outside, see that the sky is blue, and go back inside and the Vice Principal could tell you that the sky was green. Therefore the sky would in fact be green, because the god had spoken.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:34 am »
When I taught English camps at my first school, they told me to go home at 1 PM. When I taught English camp at my middle school, they would still tell me that I could leave early, rarely I would stay the whole day until I hear the head teacher tell me I could go home.

Now I am at an elementary school. I never had to teach any summer or winter camp at this school, but only summer and winter English classes to select students from grade 3-6. Like the English camps these classes take place in the mornings only, but the principal of my school who is an old guy says I have to stay here at work until 4:30, which does not make sense.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 12:44:49 pm »
It's nothing but a waste of time to force people to stay and jerk off for hours after camp is finished. They tell me to arrive at 8:30 but there isn't a soul here to verify my presence, so I arrive at 10. Come lunch time I just go the hell home, and if anyone wants to hunt me down my plan is to say "I'm at the Chinese restaurant", then hop in a taxi if they NEED to see me face to face. So far nobody gives a crap.

Teachers needs breaks too.