Read 1889 times

• naenorae
  • Explorer

• June 22, 2012, 11:41:23 am
    • Still in USA till July!
Hi everyone, I'm in a bit of a jam right now trying to figure out what I need to do to keep my E2 visa documents valid. Here's the situation:

I completed my previous contract and left Korea on November 10. I had an E2 visa. I was told that if I applied for my next E2 with my new school within 90 days, that I would not need to re-do my background check and diploma. However I just heard from a recruiter that I actually need to be in Korea and get my medical check-up, my new ARC and visa before 90 days. This is a huge difference from what I was told, and if it's true, I need to leave for Korea in just a couple weeks. I don't even have a job secured yet. Has anyone been in this situation and can tell me what all I need to do to ensure my documents stay valid?

I'm in a panic right now so I would appreciate any help. Thanks a ton.

I don't know where you got the 90 day number from. You have 14 days after your contract ends, or the end date on your ARC (whichever is later) to either renew with your current employer, get a new E2, switch to a D10 visa, or leave Korea.

You will need to start the process anew as if you were a first time applicant.

• naenorae
  • Explorer

I heard 90 days from the Immigration office when I called, and also from a website on Korean immigration that I read before I left (I'm searching now to find the website again). My recruiters also seemed to know about the 90 days thing.

I'll post the website if I find it.

I looked it up, and I was wrong!

"If you already submited criminal records confirmed by a public authority
before and left the country and now are in the midle of proces of
re-aplying within 3 months of your last departure, you are exempt from the
requirement to submit the criminal records. However, if it has ben more
than 3 months since you left the country, you are required to submit a
renewed one"

http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/NtcCotnDetailR_en.pt?pageSpec=&targetRow=&lafjOrderBy=&sRange=&sKeyWord=&bbsGbCd=BS10&bbsSeq=2&ntccttSeq=45&pageCode=list&langCd=EN&bbsNm=Notice

This site has the immigration guide in PDF.

• naenorae
  • Explorer

Thank you for that link! You're a life saver.

However... even if I don't need to redo my background check, I'm still totally clueless as to what else I need to do before my 90 days is up. Do I need to be in Korea? Get a medical check? Get an ARC? What about my diploma apostille? Still searching the web for info but any help would be much appreciated still.

Always a gambit, dealing with immigration. Why didn't you just get a D10 before you left Korea?

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
i don't see much of a difference between the two situations...in both cases you need a job before the 90 days are up.  the e2 application process takes less than a week so "in the process of applying for an e-2" would give you more than a week past the 90 days anyways.

even with a d-10 you cant be out of the country more than 90 days without needing a new background check so it seems reasonable that the same limit would apply .

the way i read it, if you are not in Korea with a new job within 90 days of leaving then you need to get new documents.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:29:10 pm by Grimne_Lothos »