Read 2787 times

Windows on my work computer is in hangul.
« on: April 13, 2011, 01:15:50 pm »
And I need help changing it to english please.
I can read hangul but I'm so slow and can't speak korean. I tried using babylon for a while but it's no use
Please help me change it to english
Thank you in advance

Re: Windows on my work computer is in hangul.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:19:41 pm »
don't think you can change it unless you download some program from a dodgy torrent or know someone with an English version of Windows CD.

You can however change your Microsoft Office Korean > English very easily if interested?

• blake
  • Veteran

• September 13, 2010, 07:45:11 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:22:43 pm »
You can change an English version of the Windows OS to Korean but you can't change a Korean version of the OS to English. Why? Only Microsoft knows.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:28:23 pm »
I had the same problem, and all the patches and stuff still let the occasional bit of Hangul through (like with error messages etc).
 What I did was download a pirated (oops, I mean completely legal) copy of Windows 7, then installed it on the 'D' drive of my computer. I then installed all the stuff I wanted on that drive. You then get to choose between the incomprehensible Korean OS or the English OS each time u start the computer.

This way, if one of the Korean teachers or tech folks need to fix something with your computer (ie: screw around with your IP address, LAN settings, or printer connection) then they can still do so rather that stare unhappily at your evil English computer, which is what they would get if u language patched everything.
My 2 cents. Hope I didnt overcharge. :)

• tbhscot
  • Explorer

• December 06, 2010, 08:46:49 am
    • korea
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:52:06 pm »
i told my co-teacher that i couldn't work properly without a computer i could understand well so she got the tech guy to install the english OS. it also helps to ensure that the korean co-ts dont mess around with my computer.
i think its best to get this stuff sorted out in the first few days because if they see you "getting by" with what you've got they will just carry on regardless.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 02:04:53 pm »
What do you need to do on your computer? I cleaned mine up and it doesn't bother me anymore.

I downloaded Google Chrome (English of course) and I made it my primary browser. IE is still there for when I need to do my online banking. I have the new Microsoft Office, so a lot of the ppt stuff I can figure out by just looking at the images. And if I get stuck on something, I just google how to do it. I also took the liberty to remove several useless programs of my machine (incl 2 messengers, bread icon, the Korean program that's similar to office, and several useless media players that I've never used)... so yeah it works pretty well now. Almost everything on these machines is in Konglish anyway, so keep practicing and it'll all make sense soon!

• astericks
  • Adventurer

• March 01, 2011, 09:25:06 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:50 pm »
Windows is icon based.
If you use windows on a regular basis at home, it should not be a problem.
Some menu items might be annoying but trial and error will get you through it.

• NeynaD
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2011, 12:48:49 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:15:28 pm »
Yeah just like most people on here, I had to simply get used to it by doing trial and error. It really helped that I've been using Word/Excel/PPT for years now. It also became apparent that my years of using and knowing my way around the Windows OS system came to be a huge help. I've been using a Mac for 2 years now so I don't remember certain things. You can always ask your co-teacher for help as a last resort if you really need to. But I'm sure you will get used to it in no time.

• grosje
  • Adventurer

• October 17, 2010, 02:14:10 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:20:06 pm »
I have used my computer in Hangul for the past 3 years. Is it not always easy, but as the previous poster mentioned, it is Windows. Regardless of the language the functions are the same. It is pretty easy to memorize and find your way around. Practice using Word and PPT at home, then remember the locations of the commands.

I think asking your school to buy English Windows for you is a big ask. It is not cheap and why should they purchase it for one person to use? They also rotate the computers around the school or have you change desks sometimes, so having it installed could make things difficult if you have to change your location and leave your PC behind.

• jae1115
  • Explorer

• January 20, 2010, 11:38:16 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 02:25:49 pm »
You can change it in the setup.  When the computer is booting, press F11 and change it.  If it's protected as a work computer most likely is, your computer tech has the bypass to do this.  Voula!

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 02:29:29 pm »
don't think you can change it unless you download some program from a dodgy torrent or know someone with an English version of Windows CD.

You can however change your Microsoft Office Korean > English very easily if interested?

I am interested! How does one do that?

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 02:39:10 pm »
http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,5163.msg32309.html#msg32309

this thread has all you need to change 2003 office into English

I changed my school computer in a few minutes

so happy :)

• C.Dennis
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2010, 12:22:24 pm
    • Wando, Korea
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 03:01:09 pm »
There is a program I mentioned in this thread: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,5360.0.html that will change your language on Vista or Windows 7 computers.

There is also a MUI available to change ye olde XP computers to English. The MUI I speak of is available here: http://bit.ly/ebrybR  ... of course, I provide this link as an information resource only, in case you have lost your original discs for the MUI.  Ahem.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 03:07:00 pm »
when i first came to my school, my computer had windows XP in english. however, almost a year later they had to install the korean version because the teacher in charge of the computers had just come back from a conference and said that the english version wasn't compatible with some korean privacy software... or something.

i was furious at the time, but like most things i couldn't care less about it now. i use google chrome, in english and installed office in english too.

on top of that, even though i have a mac at home, i had been using windows XP for almost TEN YEARS prior. i know this OS inside and out. i know every menu, every shortcut... this makes it very easy to use, and even then i'm only really using chrome and office - both in english.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term