Read 3912 times

GOSHIWANS: Cooking and Guests?
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:09:11 pm »
My housing situation is changing temporarily and I have to make the decision between living in a goshiwan or living with random ppl off Craigslist/whatever very soon.

I don't want to live with randos but I've heard that goshiwans don't allow you to bring guests over, which would be an issue for me. I also cook all my food and am not sure if goshiwans enable you to do this.

Does anyone know of any goshiwans in Seoul that allow guests/let you cook your own food?

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
Re: GOSHIWANS: Cooking and Guests?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:24:30 pm »
Prior to moving to Korea, I traveled here quite a bit, and during one of my visits I stayed in a goshiwon.

Generally speaking, visitors are not allowed. And especially ones of the opposite sex. Most goshiwons have a communal kitchen and provide ramen, rice, eggs, and kimchi.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:40:41 pm »
Overnight guests are generally not allowed in goshiwons, but I think a guest just coming over to hang out for a little while (i.e. not spend the night) should be fine.

There is a communal kitchen, so you can cook your own food; in addition, as the previous poster said, goshiwons provide rice and kimchi, although I don't know about the ramen and eggs (I guess that may depend on the particular goshiwon).

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 09:51:13 pm »
My housing situation is changing temporarily and I have to make the decision between living in a goshiwan or living with random ppl off Craigslist/whatever very soon.

I don't want to live with randos but I've heard that goshiwans don't allow you to bring guests over, which would be an issue for me. I also cook all my food and am not sure if goshiwans enable you to do this.

Does anyone know of any goshiwans in Seoul that allow guests/let you cook your own food?

Isn't the change "temporary?" How much hairy boje do you get?

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:14 pm »

what the heck is hairy boje?

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 11:47:28 pm »
Overnight guests are generally not allowed in goshiwons, but I think a guest just coming over to hang out for a little while (i.e. not spend the night) should be fine.

There is a communal kitchen, so you can cook your own food; in addition, as the previous poster said, goshiwons provide rice and kimchi, although I don't know about the ramen and eggs (I guess that may depend on the particular goshiwon).

It's fine if it's not overnight. How sure are you about this?

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:03:22 am »

It might depend on the goshiwon, but at the particular goshiwon where a friend of mine stayed, my friend specifically asked the manager there about the guest policy, and the manager told him that it would be okay to bring a friend over to hang out for a little while, but having overnight guests stay over is not permitted. If you'd really like to make sure, you can ask (or have a Korean friend/acquaintance ask on your behalf) the manager at the goshiwon where you're considering staying about the guest policy there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:04:54 am by Mezoti97 »

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:06 am »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hairy Vagina.

This has been your 10 second lesson on Korean slang. Feel free to listen to our podcast and subscribe through our RSS feed.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 06:47:14 pm »

It might depend on the goshiwon, but at the particular goshiwon where a friend of mine stayed, my friend specifically asked the manager there about the guest policy, and the manager told him that it would be okay to bring a friend over to hang out for a little while, but having overnight guests stay over is not permitted. If you'd really like to make sure, you can ask (or have a Korean friend/acquaintance ask on your behalf) the manager at the goshiwon where you're considering staying about the guest policy there.

Good idea. I'll do that

Would you mind asking your friend where he/she/it stayed? Might save me a lot of trouble

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 06:48:38 pm »

[/quote]

Hairy Vagina.

This has been your 10 second lesson on Korean slang. Feel free to listen to our podcast and subscribe through our RSS feed.
[/quote]

Don't know why I haven't learned that yet

And since this is the Internet..... Yes, I get truckloads of hairy boje

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 03:29:43 pm »
Good idea. I'll do that

Would you mind asking your friend where he/she/it stayed? Might save me a lot of trouble

It was a goshiwon near Sinchon Station, but I don't remember the exact name of that particular goshiwon, and there are a lot of goshiwons in Sinchon. The area outside/surrounding the goshiwon building was a bit of a dump/not impressive, but the goshiwon itself seemed okay (I stopped by to visit my friend several times while my friend was staying there -- again, only for visits like an hour or so, not overnight). It was a bit more on the expensive side for a goshiwon (I think 400,000 for one month -- it was actually more, but my friend managed to haggle down the price), although my friend did choose a room with a private bathroom inside it, which was why it was more expensive.

I helped my friend find the goshiwon, actually; we found it by just Googling goshiwons, so if you Google it, you should find some results with helpful web sites containing information about different goshiwons in various locations in Seoul.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:24:23 am by Mezoti97 »

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 07:50:30 pm »

Hairy Vagina.

[/quote]

Don't know why I haven't learned that yet

And since this is the Internet..... Yes, I get truckloads of hairy boje
[/quote]

my man!