Read 4375 times

How many of you know about Lai Dai Han 라이 따이한)
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:27:17 pm »
Earlier today I was reading up on Korea's history when I stumbled upon 라이 따이한. It simply amazes me that SOME Koreans hate Japan for the same thing that Korea has done to the Vietnamese. I know it's a moot point to argue about it but it's interesting. My Koreans friends seem shocked or make excuses that it wasn't as bad as what the Japanese did but at least Japan has officially apologized while Korea has not.

From Wikipedia (I'm sorry I know.....)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lai_%C4%90%E1%BA%A1i_H%C3%A0n

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
Re: How many of you know about Lai Dai Han 라이 따이한)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 02:48:49 pm »
The hatred for Japan is based on an economic motivation.

As long as the people of Korea hate Japan they will strive to be better than them and surpass their economy. Well that's my take on why they continue to blame Japan.

However, it's not surprising what they did in Vietnam, the worst of the worst tend to be hypocrites, narcissists and live in denial of their behavior towards others. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:51:32 pm by scholes »

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »
Do some research on what they did to each other in the Korean war.....

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 03:41:38 pm »
Uncle Sam and his puppet leader in Korea for forced them into Vietnam. Having learned such barbarity from none other than the Japanese, they are hardly to blame and not at fault. Why apologize for something that is not your fault? Some people just can't help but distort history and refuse to accept the truth.

But seriously, if Koreans could admit hard truths easily they wouldn't have a version of history that is wildly different from all their neighbors and even themselves. Certainly their opinions of history and which facts to weigh or not are very divisive.

If Koreans gave up on grudges easily they would mostly benefit, but I think they fear it would somehow harm their nation. Unfortunately they like to draw certain conclusions from history and get upset when other people draw different conclusions. They often refuse to distinguish fact from opinion when mulling history and it makes things very confusing and discussions difficult. For example, discussion on Japan colonialism should start "the most horrible barbarous atrocity real or imaginable" if not, you risk offense.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 05:02:21 pm »
Do some research on what they did to each other in the Korean war.....

Heck, look at what they did to each other during the Japanese occupation.  Darn, look at what they're doing to each other now just a few kms north of Seoul. 

Koreans like to cry that they're always the victims.  No one has abused Koreans as much as other Koreans.  All this woori nara stuff is propaganda that those in power use while doing unspeakable things to the citizens from behind. 

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 05:15:50 pm »
As far as history is concerned, many Koreans prefer to feel it rather than study and understand it. And though history can be felt, it is very similar to science in that emotion and opinion cannot be allowed to distort it.

Of course, fat chance that's ever going to happen. Every nation likes to exaggerate its triumphs and downplays its mistakes. But to an uncommon degree, Koreans embrace the comforting lies and insist on debunking your reality by emoting more loudly than you're speaking.

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 02:04:06 pm »
As far as history is concerned, many Koreans prefer to feel it rather than study and understand it. And though history can be felt, it is very similar to science in that emotion and opinion cannot be allowed to distort it.

Of course, fat chance that's ever going to happen. Every nation likes to exaggerate its triumphs and downplays its mistakes. But to an uncommon degree, Koreans embrace the comforting lies and insist on debunking your reality by emoting more loudly than you're speaking.

Very well put, couldn't agree with you more.

• jduffy1
  • Veteran

• July 11, 2013, 12:49:33 pm
    • korea
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:55:07 pm »
Uncle Sam and his puppet leader in Korea for forced them into Vietnam. Having learned such barbarity from none other than the Japanese, they are hardly to blame and not at fault. Why apologize for something that is not your fault? Some people just can't help but distort history and refuse to accept the truth.

But seriously, if Koreans could admit hard truths easily they wouldn't have a version of history that is wildly different from all their neighbors and even themselves. Certainly their opinions of history and which facts to weigh or not are very divisive.

If Koreans gave up on grudges easily they would mostly benefit, but I think they fear it would somehow harm their nation. Unfortunately they like to draw certain conclusions from history and get upset when other people draw different conclusions. They often refuse to distinguish fact from opinion when mulling history and it makes things very confusing and discussions difficult. For example, discussion on Japan colonialism should start "the most horrible barbarous atrocity real or imaginable" if not, you risk offense.
For Uncle Sam and his puppet leader forced him into Vietnam.  I suppose they forced him to rape and massacre too.   I was going to write something much more scathing but I'll just say this was very hard to understand.  You aren't blaming the massacre on the Japanese?   The Koreans learned to be violent from the Japanese?    Koreans had a history of violence against each other ie sawing the heads off slowly of adulterers. 

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:06:42 pm »
He was being facetious.