Read 1959 times

What's your go-to compliment?
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:14:43 am »
I say "good" a lot. Got kinda bored with it after a while. I started making faces (like I'm having a bad case of diarrhea) while I say good. Kids seem to dig that.

What do you say the most?
Vincent: What'cha mean walk the earth?
Jules: You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung Fu."

Re: What's your go-to compliment?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:18:58 am »
apparently I saw "Awesome" a lot.  The kids crack up when  I say it!  I am trying to mix it up.  I am now teaching them "Stellar"!

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:19:15 am »
I have a bag of 'praises' that I pick and choose from at random: good, great, bingo, right in one, perfect, exactly, or even just a plain 'yes' and an approving nod. I'm noticing that I always tend to point at or gesture towards the student who I'm talking about; I can't tell if this embarasses them, they like it, or they couldn't care either way.

• Dantastical
  • Waygookin

• September 16, 2010, 07:46:06 am
    • Pohang, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:23:18 am »
After getting a bit bored with "Good job!" and "Well done!", I started saying "Back of the net!" recently. After explaining what it meant and where it comes from, the kids (especially the boys) really liked it and started using it themselves.

• Tamsinj
  • Explorer

• September 17, 2010, 01:59:06 pm
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:02:24 pm »
I usually say excellent a lot, though I do sound like Bill and Ted a lot during the lesson! :)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:07:26 pm »
I usually hype the Kool Aid man with, "Ohh Yeah."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iE4uEsaBF0

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 12:18:27 pm »
hahaha I call my students geniuses when they answer correctly. It never gets old. i usually say it in Korean and they eat it up. It actually gets them to participate individually more also. I think they just want to be called geniuses.

• megura100
  • Explorer

• November 15, 2010, 09:40:00 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:49:34 pm »
I also hate saying the same thing over and over again, or writing the same word of praise on papers.  I basically just made a list of positive words that I use, including (but not limited to): good/great job, good/great work, awesome, amazing, fantastic, wonderful, superb, stellar, great, fantastic, fabulous, etc.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:04:26 pm »
I say the word excellent and awesome a lot as praises but one thing I noticed I do on a regular basis is when I'm trying to get the students quiet I say OoooKaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy. Usually the students laugh and listen after that or they will repeat me.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 02:17:41 pm »
I can't believe that in that huge long list of superlatives, you didn't include 'Brilliant'.

I catch myself saying 'awesome' and giving the thumbs-up sign more often than I like (looks and sounds like somebody from one of those awful awful late-night adverts).

I also, unfortunately for everybody involved, use expressions coined by those damned ninja turtles. If I find out that I used 'bodacious' or 'radical' during my taped Open Lesson, I'm going to die in shame. :blank: