Read 6046 times

• saram_
  • Veteran

• March 14, 2012, 09:44:43 am
    • Seoul
Academic Elitism.. Gone too far In Korea.
« on: December 30, 2014, 11:57:03 am »
As we all know the government is considering banning English only Kindergartens. The aim is to drive education costs down for families that are already stretched to the limit with debt etc.
Personal debt in Korea stands at about 50 million pp at the moment. Most families can't cope with the Education expenses burden.
The widening education gap and costs are a serious problem here for most people.
What do we think about this?
http://www.koreabang.com/2014/stories/elite-preschools-in-korea-pave-path-for-future-success.html

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
Re: Academic Elitism.. Gone too far In Korea.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 12:25:44 pm »
Well, its pretty much proof for what many people have being saying. The government are not interested at all in reducing the costs of education. They just want to eliminate anything that may level the playing field between the 'elites' and 'plebeians'.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:34:11 pm »
I don't think English Kindergartens are bad. Kids pick up things quicker when they're younger. If it's a natural, harm-free environment, why not?
Articles of Confederation, the supreme law of the land.

• baphomet
  • Veteran

• August 01, 2014, 12:19:06 pm
    • Gunpo
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 12:40:14 pm »
Well, its pretty much proof for what many people have being saying. The government are not interested at all in reducing the costs of education. They just want to eliminate anything that may level the playing field between the 'elites' and 'plebeians'.

This kind of tea-party trolling is an absolute joke.  The government has no role in keeping the status quo alive.  Korea is heading for a massive recession and they have to start cutting the fat where it will make the least noise (foreigners), while at the same time, try to get households to spend less money. 

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 12:53:26 pm »
I don't think you actually read the article.  The article is talking about international schools, which are completely different from normal Korean kindergartens.

Furthermore, I don't think the ban on English only Kindergartens has anything to do with the cost of education.  It's more that the government is worried that if children grow up in an all-English environment then they will lose their Korean national identity.  It's more of a "pride in our native language" thing than an "lets minimize the costs of education for parents" thing.  Because lets face it, if the government bans parents from paying for one aspect of their kid's education, then parents are just going to reallocate that money to some other aspect of their education.

I think the "preserving national identity" argument is a decent argument.  However personally I think that bilingual education is superior to both all-L1 and all-L2 schooling.  But it's not for everybody.  Bilingual education is naturally going to be significantly more expensive than monolingual education.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:55:16 pm by robobob9000 »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 12:55:39 pm »

This kind of tea-party trolling is an absolute joke.  The government has no role in keeping the status quo alive.  Korea is heading for a massive recession and they have to start cutting the fat where it will make the least noise (foreigners), while at the same time, try to get households to spend less money.

baphomet..... if you think getting rid of foreigners is going to cut costs, you are very naive. If they can't get English locally then they will just send their kids to the Philippines etc.

I am okay with that though, I will be living there shortly so perhaps I can make some money from teaching Englishee in paradise.   8) 8)
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• baphomet
  • Veteran

• Gunpo
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 12:59:57 pm »

baphomet..... if you think getting rid of foreigners is going to cut costs, you are very naive. If they can't get English locally then they will just send their kids to the Philippines etc.

I am okay with that though, I will be living there shortly so perhaps I can make some money from teaching Englishee in paradise.   8) 8)

So not having to pay for someone's housing won't cut costs?  Not having to recruit overseas won't cut costs?  Being able to pay some Korean a fraction of the salary won't cut costs???
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:20:09 am by Davey »

• jduffy1
  • Veteran

• July 11, 2013, 12:49:33 pm
    • korea
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 01:33:06 pm »
heres a comment from a reader    "In Seoul, there are only two international middle schools, and the capacity for each is a little over one hundred people. Exactly how many parents are like that in the article? Why do they write th"e article as if it is the overall societal trend?"

if this is true then are they blowing the problem out of proportion?  Does anyone know if this is true for elementary and preschools only .

maybe all you need are a few thousand seriously greedy ambitious broke people with shattered dreams and huge debt to cause a big problem.

• Morfee
  • Super Waygook

• August 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
    • Gangwon-Do
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 02:04:54 pm »
Hah, you think that's bad. check the other topic he is trolling in. The dudes not gonna last the week on his sockpuppet account with the insults he is dishing out.

Let's hope so.

Back on topic: State funded English teachers aren't exactly a huge portion of GDP. They've recently rolled out free school meals to all kids, which was a huge cost in comparison.

If you axe foreign teachers, and then assumedly somehow find some Korean English teachers, then the savings won't be great, if at all. Korean teacher salaries can vary, but generally are on par with NTs, and can go up to 4-6million. Offsetting apartments and allowances, there are usually bonuses on Chuseok and Seollal, and in April also.

If there's any savings whatsoever, it'd be minimal.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 02:15:15 pm »
How is baphomet not banned yet? I guess I can't tell if he's trolling or if he's the most toxic kind of person: one who believes in the garbage he writes and then honestly considers himself a victim when others challenge him. Stop engaging with him.

I don't think I can say much about this elitism. Seems to me international schools/etc., from preschool to high school, prepare students much more to be critical thinkers, even if that's just because they're working their brains harder and earlier and in different ways (hearing English from someone culturally different consistently from a young age). It's unfair that money gets you the better education, but so it goes.

The attitude on the parents' part that these elite schools are elite because networking is part of a larger, harmful misundersatnding of what education is. I don't see any signs of improvement on that front. Shame if the English-only kindies go.

• baphomet
  • Veteran

• Gunpo
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »
How is baphomet not banned yet? I guess I can't tell if he's trolling or if he's the most toxic kind of person: one who believes in the garbage he writes and then honestly considers himself a victim when others challenge him. Stop engaging with him.

I don't think I can say much about this elitism. Seems to me international schools/etc., from preschool to high school, prepare students much more to be critical thinkers, even if that's just because they're working their brains harder and earlier and in different ways (hearing English from someone culturally different consistently from a young age). It's unfair that money gets you the better education, but so it goes.

The attitude on the parents' part that these elite schools are elite because networking is part of a larger, harmful misundersatnding of what education is. I don't see any signs of improvement on that front. Shame if the English-only kindies go.

LOL!  You want me banned for not agreeing???  Very immature.

Back to the thread.  English kindergartens are seen as more controversial than others because it's seen as almost extortionist due to the high cost of it.  New parents are seen as more likely to spend money inorder to get their kids ahead, this could be why they want to limit it.

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:41:39 am »

Back to the thread.  English kindergartens are seen as more controversial than others because it's seen as almost extortionist due to the high cost of it.  New parents are seen as more likely to spend money inorder to get their kids ahead, this could be why they want to limit it.

I see Taeyang gave you an even heavier punishment. When are people gonna see this moderator for what he really is?? He protect his apologist buddies and quietly builds up members warnings single handedly that doesnt agree with his comrades in order to ban them.

Everytime one of his comrades complain about someone, the next day they are given heavy warnings for stupid things like, "Go back to the Phillapines" when his comrades are telling everyone else that if they don't like it here that can leave. Same thing isnt it?

This is just one the silly warnings he gives to people after they have been marked to be banned by his comrades.
As a Korean he should refrain from moderating the forums because its clear he cannot remain unbiased.

If you are one of the people that constantly disagrees with the apologist. Send the moderators a message and find out who have been warning you. You will soon realise its only one moderator and his name is Taeyang.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:45:18 am by scholes »

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 11:02:54 am »

I see Taeyang gave you an even heavier punishment. When are people gonna see this moderator for what he really is?? He protect his apologist buddies and quietly builds up members warnings single handedly that doesnt agree with his comrades in order to ban them.

Everytime one of his comrades complain about someone, the next day they are given heavy warnings for stupid things like, "Go back to the Phillapines" when his comrades are telling everyone else that if they don't like it here that can leave. Same thing isnt it?

This is just one the silly warnings he gives to people after they have been marked to be banned by his comrades.
As a Korean he should refrain from moderating the forums because its clear he cannot remain unbiased.

If you are one of the people that constantly disagrees with the apologist. Send the moderators a message and find out who have been warning you. You will soon realise its only one moderator and his name is Taeyang.

Tin foil hat warriors unite! Fight the evil moderators. Do not let these injustices stand.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 12:22:24 pm »
This is your only warning. Stick to the topic, ALL OF YOU. If you don't agree with someone and can't have an intelligent, non-attacking debate, then ignore them. Next time I will lock this thread since it has already completely derailed into an unproductive direction.  :evil:
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.